Author Topic: Should PEDs for the purpose of injury rehab be allowed?  (Read 1634 times)

Should PEDs for the purpose of injury rehab be allowed?
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
News came out today (via ProFootballTalk) that Ray Lewis may have used a banned substance to return early from his torn triceps injury.

I've heard people speculate in the past that some players (e.g. Adrian Peterson) have used HGH or PEDs to come back more quickly (and perhaps stronger) from injuries.

In the NBA, players like Kobe and Dirk have used "questionable" procedures like the German enriched-platelet treatment to supposedly help their knees heal more quickly.

Another thing to consider is that these substances could extend players' careers (again pointing to guys like Lewis, Kobe, Dirk, and perhaps our own KG and Pierce).

Here's my question:

Is it a bad thing if players use substances like this strictly for the sake of coming back more quickly from injuries?  Isn't it better for sports in general if players come back sooner and take less time to recover?

What if Rondo could come back in time for the playoffs?  Or, at least, in time for next season with no "recovery" time needed in terms of getting back to his former level of performance?  Yes, there are potential side effects to using substances like this, but my feeling is that these players are consenting adults and if  it's not unreasonably dangerous they should be allowed to use it.  I think the main hurdle would be regulating it effectively enough that you ensure that healthy players aren't using it to gain an unfair advantage.

But as we saw in the NFL this season (with players being banned for using Adderall), it's possible for some substances to be allowable for players with certain conditions (e.g. ADD) and banned for others (e.g. players using them for "focus" or perhaps to mask other substances).

What do you think?  Should sports be "pure" at all costs?  Or, like me, are you more cynical (assuming many players already cheat) and you think it's probably better overall for the sport if players can recover from injuries more quickly and more fully, and players can extend their careers longer, even if it means using these substances?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Should PEDs for the purpose of injury rehab be allowed?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think the most important part of the issue is transparency, which is something that the NBA as a business wouldn't want to embrace--there's a reason the NBA doesn't drug test for marijuana, for example, and marketing PED's to children in any way shape or form is not really in the best interests of the Association.

Personally, though, I think that using PED's for injury recovery is perfectly fine, and if you had athletes using them for that opening you'd be able to have much more rigorous standards and tests for those who weren't operating on the rehab/injury program.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.