Author Topic: Fab Melo is with the Celtics for today's practice in Waltham  (Read 4494 times)

Re: Fab Melo is with the Celtics for today's practice in Waltham
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 01:40:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Fab is probably far from NBA ready.

Having said that, he is probably better than Collins.
TP! every time Collins is on the court I die a little bit inside.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Sadly, Collins is probably better than Melo at this point.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
beat me to it

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/296305685153595394

I wonder if he's been called up to be available if we need him or if it is just to practice

all the time he can have with KG is a bonus to me - even if he doesn't play and gets sent back to Maine

I'd like Melo to get some quality time on the floor and on the bench during games with KG, especially considering the possibility that KG could be dealt soon, or that he could retire at the end of the season.

I'd be interested in knowing why anyone would look at KG as he is playing now and look at the 11 Million and 12 million he is contracted for over the next 2 years, and conclude that he may retire.   He also has a no trade clause that makes it very unlikely he'll be traded. 

Anyway, I agree it would be nice to see KG mentoring Fab.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sadly, Collins is probably better than Melo at this point.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hope he does good b/c I have him in 2 fantasy keeper leagues  ;D
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
fab should stay in the dleague and just work on his game. no bother bringing him prematurely.  hopefully he can prove to be ready to be on the active roster next season.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Fab is, going to be a good player in the NBA...     Unfortunately he is still 1 or 2 yea RSI away from being serious  impact player.

Still  I can see DA using him if the Celtics do make the playoffs by accident ,   The playoff experience would be boost for his confidence

Right now need Wilcox to step up and help

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
fab should stay in the dleague and just work on his game. no bother bringing him prematurely.  hopefully he can prove to be ready to be on the active roster next season.
TP. Exactly

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:05 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think being 7 feet tall with good lateral quickness and great length makes Melo at least worth a brief run even if it's for nothing more than:

1. Time with KG - get his ass handed to him

2. Travel with the team for 2-3 games - good motivation

3. Get his ass handed to him in a big league game - no better motivation than that - let's him know how close or far away he is - not from the coach's perspective but by his own experience. There is nothing better than the real thing.

I just don't see how it can possibly hurt the team.

I would tell him I want you to do three things:

1. Beat your man up and down the court on every play, both ways. while you're in the game.

2. Find someone every time a shot goes up and box them out

3. Keep your arms active and up, play long around the rim but you don't have to go after every block - just play long and active.

having a young, energetic 7 footer just doing thsoe things for 5 minutes would be helpful.

Put him in there with:

Melo
KG
Pierce
Lee
Bradley

Give him plenty of cover form the Vets.

I realize he's probably hurt and that's why he got called up - but if healthy, I'd give it a shot. KG could really use another big body in there with him to hit people.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Keep him there, love his improving action time and game.

----------------------------------
Hey! Join the chat on ***The Bash Rondo Thread***

Link: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62008.msg1388869;topicseen#new

Remember, no profound language or personal attacks. Make your thinking clear and not hateful. Its just an open discussion, LET IT ALL OUT  ;D

Why is this in every thread right now?

Is this even allowed within the blog rules.  Kind of annoying.

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Keep him there, love his improving action time and game.

----------------------------------
Hey! Join the chat on ***The Bash Rondo Thread***

Link: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62008.msg1388869;topicseen#new

Remember, no profound language or personal attacks. Make your thinking clear and not hateful. Its just an open discussion, LET IT ALL OUT  ;D

Why is this in every thread right now?

Is this even allowed within the blog rules.  Kind of annoying.

not "kind of"...it IS annoying. trolling/spamming for sure

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I think being 7 feet tall with good lateral quickness and great length makes Melo at least worth a brief run even if it's for nothing more than:

1. Time with KG - get his ass handed to him

2. Travel with the team for 2-3 games - good motivation

3. Get his ass handed to him in a big league game - no better motivation than that - let's him know how close or far away he is - not from the coach's perspective but by his own experience. There is nothing better than the real thing.

I just don't see how it can possibly hurt the team.

I would tell him I want you to do three things:

1. Beat your man up and down the court on every play, both ways. while you're in the game.

2. Find someone every time a shot goes up and box them out

3. Keep your arms active and up, play long around the rim but you don't have to go after every block - just play long and active.

having a young, energetic 7 footer just doing thsoe things for 5 minutes would be helpful.

Put him in there with:

Melo
KG
Pierce
Lee
Bradley

Give him plenty of cover form the Vets.

I realize he's probably hurt and that's why he got called up - but if healthy, I'd give it a shot. KG could really use another big body in there with him to hit people.
Actually having young players having their asses handed to them in limited action can backfire and cause the player to lose his confidence and never recover.

I would never bring up a player that isn't ready to be playing and hand them minutes that could kill all the work you already put into them. Its, in my opinion, a counterproductive way of doing things.

And to think someone actually suggested doing it in the playoffs!!! I mean, if you make the playoffs the goal is to win, not to use that time to try to develop young players. That idea is beyond unbelievably bad.

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Fab is, going to be a good player in the NBA...     Unfortunately he is still 1 or 2 yea RSI away from being serious  impact player.

Still  I can see DA using him if the Celtics do make the playoffs by accident ,   The playoff experience would be boost for his confidence

Right now need Wilcox to step up and help

what? wilcox? where in the hell has he been? MIA?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah Nick, your point is taken and I understand your position -and I certainly wouldn't consider doing it during the playoffs because I agree you are in win mode.

But I also think it's personal perspective on this issue:

1. When I was learning how to play the game, I always sought out the guys who could just destroy me and I'd have it. Next day, first one on the court, waiting for another beating. "Could" "not" "wait" for the beating. Eventually I was the one handing out the beatings - some guys still go the better of me but the gap was smaller.

As a player, I  don't think you can figure out how to beat the players that better than you by constantly playing guys who are worse than you.

Now, I'm not talking about bringing Melo up and starting him and playing him for 38 minutes a night while he's getting his ass beat.

I'm only talking about a 5 minute run in a game we have control of or early in the game where the few mistakes he might make won't be the sole determining factor on the outcome of the game.

2. Bring him up, send him back - and if a 5 minute beating from other players in the best league on the planet ruin a young guy's confidence, I think perhaps that guy maybe should pack his bags and take up basket weaving or something. Last time I checked the NBA was a man's league not a baby's league. But that's just how I look at it.

If I were coaching, I'd just tell him:

"look, you might get your ass handed to you in this five minutes tonight, but don't worry about it, because I'm certainly not". We know the learning curve is high and you're developing. Just get in there, mix it up, make some mistakes and have some fun out there. Figure out where you're at and try to get a sense of what you think you need to work on."

Work hard, try hard and most importantly jsut have some fun out there.

I really don't think that experience for Melo would crush him psychologically or irreparably damage the fortunes of the 2013 Boston Celtics.

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
beat me to it

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/296305685153595394

I wonder if he's been called up to be available if we need him or if it is just to practice

all the time he can have with KG is a bonus to me - even if he doesn't play and gets sent back to Maine

I'd like Melo to get some quality time on the floor and on the bench during games with KG, especially considering the possibility that KG could be dealt soon, or that he could retire at the end of the season.

I'd be interested in knowing why anyone would look at KG as he is playing now and look at the 11 Million and 12 million he is contracted for over the next 2 years, and conclude that he may retire.   He also has a no trade clause that makes it very unlikely he'll be traded. 

There was a lot of talk last season, and talk this season as well (which should only increase now with Rondo's injury) that KG has been seriously considering retiring soon, primarily because he plays through a LOT of pain in order to stay at the level he's at and that he's basically just really tired from 17 years (or whatever) of giving his all every night. 

I think unless he has a shot at winning another championship this season or next, he'll hang them up soon.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain