Author Topic: Rondo aftermath. Ideas I have heard from the past day. Media n family included.  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The Rondo aftermath continues to go on in my everyday life. I'm an avid sports podcast listener and my family is a basketball passionate bunch. I have listened to ideas both the media and the cousins/brothers have to offer for the fix. I thought it'll make good conversation here. Here's what I think are the cream of the crop.

From Jalen Rose Podcast:

Basically blow it up, trade KG to Spurs for Tiago and SJax. Trade Pierce for Danny Granger.

Bruce Bowen from NBA Lockdown Podcast:

Don't necessary need to blow it up. Need the other guys to step up and team will be fine. Try to lessen load for Pierce and KG. Get more production form Jet, Green be more consistent, Lee and Barbosa should attack more, Sullinger need to step up even though he's a rookie.

Israel Gutierrez from NBA Lockdown Podcast:

Move Pierce to anyone as long as Celtics get value (he didn't cite an example). Start over with KG and Rondo next year. Move Terry as best as possible.

In the same NBA Lockdown Podcast:

They mentioned that CBS' Ken Berger that Memphis is interested in Pierce (im paraphrasing here but it's in the podcast). A three team idea per Marc Stein "tried to discuss already" a deal that sends Rudy Gay to LA, Pierce to Memphis, Pau Gasol to Boston.

Zach Lowe on Grantland:

Pierce ideas. A ton of them. Paul to Utah targetting Favors or Kanter, to Memphis for Gay, Raptors for Bargs and Calderon or Lowry and may include Gray, Dubs for either Klay or Barnes.

He also has a Bledsoe package from Clips that involves Butler and Billups.

Bucks package that include Udrih, Dalembert, Henson and/or Sanders.

And he has this "Hawks, Suns, Rockets vortex of doom".

and finally, my brother Koyi has this out of the box idea.

"Celtics should just stay put, tank the season, fire sale everyone outside of KG, Pierce, Rondo, Sullinger and Bradley and get whatever value they can get as long as it's not multi year contracts. Play the young guys more and the old guys way less, call up Melo, play Sully more minutes and see what they can bring."

"Amnesty a bad contract by next year (he says it might be Bass' since he thinks no one would trade for him). Tanking gives YOUR (emphasis on Your, he's a Mavs fan) C's a lottery pick, enough room to sign another FA that could help  and make one more FINAL (emphasis on final again) run with this team, with less mileage from the old guys, healthy Rondo, a good rookie and young guy/s who either proved themselves worthy of being in the team." (that's a quote from my brother)

Anyways, I thought it'll be for good conversation. Honestly, my brother's tanking idea, while completely disgusting, is not so bad.

Fire away guys.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:14:16 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tell your brother that teams can only amnesty guys who were signed before the last CBA.  Therefore, contracts like Bass, Terry, and Green don't apply.  (We could "stretch" those contracts, but I'd like to avoid dead money on future caps if we can avoid it.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Tell your brother that teams can only amnesty guys who were signed before the last CBA.  Therefore, contracts like Bass, Terry, and Green don't apply.  (We could "stretch" those contracts, but I'd like to avoid dead money on future caps if we can avoid it.)

Will do. Thanks Roy.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Great post, some comments for you
1.I don't believe we can amnesty Bass because his deal was signed after the new CBA
2. I like the KG to SAS deal. I wonder if there is any way they would include Leonard in the deal.
3. I think KG will be moved if they decide to deal Pierce, at that point what reason is there for him to stay.
4. Of the Lowe deals I really like the ones where we get Favors or Sanders.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
1.I don't believe we can amnesty Bass because his deal was signed after the new CBA
2. I like the KG to SAS deal. I wonder if there is any way they would include Leonard in the deal.
3. I think KG will be moved if they decide to deal Pierce, at that point what reason is there for him to stay.

Lowe said we're going to have to take Raja Bell with it to match salaries. I honeslty prefer Kanter over Favors, just because I think we have a solid PF in Sully waiting in the wings.

I'm not sure why Milwaukee would take Pierce though. With Monta already booked for the next 2-3 more years (i think), and Jennings soon to be massive contract (if they match), they will take on Pierce's as well? I'd love Sanders to be here though.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Lowe said we're going to have to take Raja Bell with it to match salaries. I honeslty prefer Kanter over Favors, just because I think we have a solid PF in Sully waiting in the wings.

I'm not sure why Milwaukee would take Pierce though. With Monta already booked for the next 2-3 more years (i think), and Jennings soon to be massive contract (if they match), they will take on Pierce's as well? I'd love Sanders to be here though.
I'm pretty sure Ellis is a free agent after this year. That being said the only way I see them going after Pierce is if they get hot and start to believe they can contend in the east.

I think Kanter is a pretty similar player to Sullinger, a big strong rebounder. Favors is more of the long athletic type that I would like to pair with Sullinger going forward.

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I think our best plan or plans would be one of these two.

Get involved in a 3 way where we could throw Bass on someone and maybe a pick or 2 to get a pg like Lowery or calderon.

OR

Try and get a nice center like a gortat. Obv. package would have to include lee and bass or something of that sort but would be a good move in my eyes.

Lineups either way

1st way.

Lowry
Bradley
Pierce
Sully
KG

Decent lineup interesting to say the least.

OR

Bradley
?? if Lee is gone. don't want Terry there
Pierce
KG
Gortat

Very good defensive team

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I think our best plan or plans would be one of these two.

Get involved in a 3 way where we could throw Bass on someone and maybe a pick or 2 to get a pg like Lowery or calderon.

OR

Try and get a nice center like a gortat. Obv. package would have to include lee and bass or something of that sort but would be a good move in my eyes.

Lineups either way

1st way.

Lowry
Bradley
Pierce
Sully
KG

Decent lineup interesting to say the least.

OR

Bradley
?? if Lee is gone. don't want Terry there
Pierce
KG
Gortat

Very good defensive team
If we can get Lowry or Gortat without giving up Bradley, Pierce, KG or Sully I would be pumped, but I just don't see it happening.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If I'm Danny I bring in Doc, Pierce and KG and explain things to them like this:

"This team has been under performing all year and with Rondo going down I just don't have the confidence this team can make a run at a title without Rondo. I also, don't believe I can make a deal to bring in a quality PG to replace Rondo for this season that would bring enough to the team without having to sacrifice major components of our future core.

"I also believe that the locker room chemistry if lacking for us to make a substantial run, even if Rondo weren't hurt. There are those in the locker room that just are not taking this regular season serious enough. Doc is this what you think?"

---Let's Doc answer question.---

"Okay so here is what I want to do. Do you guys want to still be here next year when I believe our rebuilding will begin in earnest. Doc, chances are next year is year one of our rebuilding and teaching phase. Paul, Kevin, you will both have reduced roles over what you have this year, next year. Do you want to still be here for this?"

---Let's them answer.---

If their answers are no then:

"Well then KG you have a no trade clause, who would you waive that clause for in a trade. I am sure you would want a shot at a title so give me a few teams to contact where I might be able to send you. Paul, you don't have a no trade clause but you have been the face of this franchise for 15 years and out of respect for that I will do the same for you. Give me the names of some teams where you might want to go. Know I probably won't be able to send you to the same team.

"Doc, start playing Sullinger, Green, Bradley, Melo, Lee huge minutes giving them some exposure to what they can expect. You don't have to start them, just give them much larger roles. I want to see how they perform."

Then trade KG and Pierce to teams of their choices for expiring contracts and/or young potential players and/or draft picks. If Doc is going to stay, trade anyone he doesn't want there because they aren't the type of player to build around(mentally or competitively speaking). Then start the rebuild knowing that you will have Sullinger, Rondo, Bradley, and Melo for sure and possibly Green, Bass and Lee as well(though my guess is Bass will be gone and so might Green).

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If I'm Danny I bring in Doc, Pierce and KG and explain things to them like this:

"This team has been under performing all year and with Rondo going down I just don't have the confidence this team can make a run at a title without Rondo. I also, don't believe I can make a deal to bring in a quality PG to replace Rondo for this season that would bring enough to the team without having to sacrifice major components of our future core.

"I also believe that the locker room chemistry if lacking for us to make a substantial run, even if Rondo weren't hurt. There are those in the locker room that just are not taking this regular season serious enough. Doc is this what you think?"

"Okay so here is what I want to do. Do you guys want to still be here next year when I believe our rebuilding will begin in earnest. Doc, chances are next year is year one of our rebuilding and teaching phase. Paul, Kevin, you will both have reduced roles over what you have this year, next year. Do you want to still be here for this?"

---Let's them answer.---

"Well then KG you have a no trade clause, who would you waive that clause for in a trade. I am sure you would want a shot at a title so give me a few teams to contact where I might be able to send you. Paul, you don't have a no trade clause but you have been the face of this franchise for 15 years and out of respect for that I will do the same for you. Give me the names of some teams where you might want to go. Know I probably won't be able to send you to the same team.

"Doc, start playing Sullinger, Green, Bradley, Melo, Lee huge minutes giving them some exposure to what they can expect. You don't have to start them, just give them much larger roles. I want to see how they perform."

Then trade KG and Pierce to teams of their choices for expiring contracts and/or young potential players and/or draft picks. If Doc is going to stay, trade anyone he doesn't want there because they aren't the type of player to build around(mentally or competitively speaking). Then start the rebuild knowing that you will have Sullinger, Rondo, Bradley, and Melo for sure and possibly Green, Bass and Lee as well(though my guess is Bass will be gone and so might Green).
I agree, but to me this conversation would be premature now. We need to see how this team responds post injury. In all likelihood the response won't be positive but Danny has to let things play out before making a move.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

---Let's them answer.---

I agree, but to me this conversation would be premature now. We need to see how this team responds post injury. In all likelihood the response won't be positive but Danny has to let things play out before making a move.
I'm not so sure Evantime. You are probably right that it is a bit too early for this but the trade deadline is three weeks away.

Being fair to Danny, he can't have this conversation very close to the trade deadline because he won't have time to shop the players he will be trading enough to get maximum value. I really think this conversation has to happen within the next 7 to 10 days minimum if not as soon as possible.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Im with Bowen on this one. I think the other guys in more minutes will get more of a ryhthm and step up because of it.

Pierce
KG
Bradley
Sully
Green
Lee
Rondo
Melo

should all be safe looked at as the core you're looking at keeping and going into battle with next year.

The only way I trade Melo is with Terry or Bass in order to get a significant upgrade at a certain position.

Terry
Wilcox
Barbosa

are all expendable but not necessarily needed to move.

Bass

should be dangled to the highest bidder.

Collins is irrelevant.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

---Let's them answer.---

I'm not so sure Evantime. You are probably right that it is a bit too early for this but the trade deadline is three weeks away.

Being fair to Danny, he can't have this conversation very close to the trade deadline because he won't have time to shop the players he will be trading enough to get maximum value. I really think this conversation has to happen within the next 7 to 10 days minimum if not as soon as possible.
I think he starts to shop the players now, lining up trades. Then if the season goes south he has the conversation with Doc, KG and Pierce, and then makes the moves he already set up.

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Nick, great post--agree totally--well spelled out! Now just do it Danny!

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

---Let's them answer.---

Love your post, nick.  That's a sober, responsible, and respectful way to deal with our present team and our longtime mainstays.  I'd hope that's what Danny will do.  I suspect he'll just see how things go over the next 10 games before doing this, but I'd hope something like this would happen before the trade deadline.