Author Topic: Rudy Gay traded to raptors  (Read 29249 times)

Re: Sources: Raptors covet Rudy Gay
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Memphis gets killed in this one, but they do get two good playoff tested role players and save 5.5 million off Gay's contract.  This works in ESPN trade checker

To Boston-

Kyle Lowry
     Amir Johnson

To Memphis-

Brandon Bass
     Jason Terry

To Toronto-

Rudy Gay

;D

Truuuuuuuuuth!

Raptors and Grizzlies are discussing framework for rudy gay
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2013, 11:41:33 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Memphis Grizzlies and Toronto Raptors are moving closer to finalizing a Rudy Gay trade, but are still searching for a third team to take Jose Calderon.

The Grizzlies would receive a young member of the Raptors and a future pick, according to sources.

"With so many quality point guards, they're struggling to find a spot for Calderon," one league general manager said.

Memphis has sought to acquire Terrence Ross, but the Raptors have ruled him untouchable.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Y! Sources: Final hurdle for a Rudy Gay-to-Toronto deal hinges on third team involvement. tinyurl.com/ap4yde8

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:43:13 PM by crownontherocks »

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
So based on all the reports, the 'young player' is likely Davis. So Memphis gets: (whoever in place of) Calderon, Davis, and a pick.

It's very tough to make the Cs the 3rd team. The only player who could be traded by himself for Calderon in this scenario is Green, which is dubious at best. I also have my doubts that Ainge would want to do that anyway.

If not Green, Memphis is unlikely to want any of Terry, Lee or Bass, much less a combo of two of them, which would be needed here.

The trade would have to grow for the Cs to be a fit.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If the Hawks are really going to trade Smith... Who says No?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=axxwk85

Boston receives Josh Smith and Kyle Lowry.

Boston gets a Pg to replace Rondo this year and Josh Smith.

Grizzlies receive Jeff Green, Kyle Korver, Courtney Lee, Ed Davis, and Leandro Barbosa

Grizzlies couldn't ask for a better package here. Green potentially replaces Gay. Korver is expiring and a fantastic shooter. Lee can replace TA's Defense and is a better shooter. Plus he doesn't have to be extended like TA will. Ed Davis is a nice prospect on a rookie deal who could potentially replace ZBo in 2 years. Barbosa replaces Bayless and is cheap.

Hawks receive Jose Calderon, Tony Allen, and Fab Melo (w. 1st) OR Sully.

Hawks exchange Smith's expiring deal with the combination of Calderon and Tony Allen's expiring deal. They also get a prospect on a rookie deal in Fab Melo. Instead of losing Smith for nothing next season and just getting cap space, they let TA and Calderon walk to maintain that cap space gaining Fab Melo in the process.

Raptors receive Rudy Gay, Jerryd Bayless, Deshawn Stevenson, and Jason Collins.

Raptors get their man in Gay and keep Derozan. They exchange some contracts for other contracts to make it work.

I think the only team that might be unhappy with this deal is Atlanta. I propose either adding a first rounder to their haul to get it done. Or seriously contemplating exchanging Fab for Sully, but that might be a deal breaker. But I think this ultimately works for everyone.

Thoughts?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Saw this on HoopsHype just now.

The final hurdle for the salary dump of Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors hinges on finding a third team to absorb the expiring contract of Raptors guard Jose Calderon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Yahoo! Sports

I dont get this... If youre the Grizzlies and youre trying to save cap room for the future by unloading Gay...Why wouldnt you want the expiring of Calderon for the rest of the year?

I would take Calderons expiring in this deal. Doesnt make much sense for the Grizzlies to me however.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a2vxk2a

Not gonna lie... I could see Danny trying to swing a deal like this...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b49urh9

I would absolutely hate it. But Dannys gets 10 mil off the books from Calderons expiring. Three years of Bargs instead of three years of Bass.

Finish the year with

Calderon/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Green
Bargs/Sully
KG/Wilcox

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
Memphis and Toronto pushing closer on deal to send Rudy Gay to the Raptors, sources tell Y! Sports. Raps would part with Calderon and Davis.

There have been scenarios today that include third teams, and also where Grizzlies and Raptors could do deal straight up, sources tell Y!

WojYahooNBA

Looks like they might not need a 3rd team

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2013, 04:37:44 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Obviously they covet him.... They have been trying to get a deal done for two weeks.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
Raptors and Grizzlies are discussing framework of trade with respective ownership groups now, sources tell Y! Deal could be done tonight.

Raptors and Grizzlies are discussing framework for rudy gay
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
Raptors play tonight lets see if calderon sits

Re: Raptors and Grizzlies are discussing framework for rudy gay
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
Memphis could still have a third team scenario to send on Calderon and take back players, but immediately unclear.

Memphis prefers to do Rudy Gay deal with Jose Calderon going to third team. Several potential suitors making push for the veteran PG.
KBergCBS

Keyon Dooling, who works in an executive role for the Celtics, says he doesn't plan on making a comeback after all. Dooling made the announcement Wednesday on Twitter.

« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would definitely give up bass for calderons expiring even though a loathe Calderon. However we would need a big filler contract to move as well and I don't wanna move lee or terry just for an expiring deal.

« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
Several league officials tell Y! Sports that Memphis has a plan to route Jose Calderon to a third team for assets in Rudy Gay deal.

Who will be the 3rd team

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I would definitely give up bass for calderons expiring even though a loathe Calderon. However we would need a big filler contract to move as well and I don't wanna move lee or terry just for an expiring deal.

Why do you loathe Calderon?  Seems like a solid PG to me. He can shoot the 3; doesn't turn the ball over much. Isn't he pretty steady?

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Several league officials tell Y! Sports that Memphis has a plan to route Jose Calderon to a third team for assets in Rudy Gay deal.

Who will be the 3rd team

Not Boston.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If the Hawks are really going to trade Smith... Who says No?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=axxwk85

Boston receives Josh Smith and Kyle Lowry.

Boston gets a Pg to replace Rondo this year and Josh Smith.

Grizzlies receive Jeff Green, Kyle Korver, Courtney Lee, Ed Davis, and Leandro Barbosa

Grizzlies couldn't ask for a better package here. Green potentially replaces Gay. Korver is expiring and a fantastic shooter. Lee can replace TA's Defense and is a better shooter. Plus he doesn't have to be extended like TA will. Ed Davis is a nice prospect on a rookie deal who could potentially replace ZBo in 2 years. Barbosa replaces Bayless and is cheap.

Hawks receive Jose Calderon, Tony Allen, and Fab Melo (w. 1st) OR Sully.

Hawks exchange Smith's expiring deal with the combination of Calderon and Tony Allen's expiring deal. They also get a prospect on a rookie deal in Fab Melo. Instead of losing Smith for nothing next season and just getting cap space, they let TA and Calderon walk to maintain that cap space gaining Fab Melo in the process.

Raptors receive Rudy Gay, Jerryd Bayless, Deshawn Stevenson, and Jason Collins.

Raptors get their man in Gay and keep Derozan. They exchange some contracts for other contracts to make it work.

I think the only team that might be unhappy with this deal is Atlanta. I propose either adding a first rounder to their haul to get it done. Or seriously contemplating exchanging Fab for Sully, but that might be a deal breaker. But I think this ultimately works for everyone.

Thoughts?

I would be upset losing Green (big future ahead of him), Lee (current Bass of the year), Barbosa (only penetrator on our team), Melo (project for US, they have Gasol/Z-Bo), Sully (HUGE future ahead of him)....

If we're going to compete this year, then we keep Barbosa/Lee/Green/Sully...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"