Author Topic: Rudy Gay traded to raptors  (Read 29227 times)

Re: Sources: Raptors covet Rudy Gay
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
A possibility here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ajkqp7w

Boston would send it's 1st round pick this year to Memphis in exchange for receiving both Davis and Ross for Pierce.

I'd like to see Bass or Terry go out with Pierce if he's traded, but it's hard to see how that would make any sense in the context of this deal. 

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Why on earth would we want Bargnani, unless the goal is to tank for a lottery pick?

Bargnani is one of the worst players in the league. He's a terrible shooter, terrible defender, terrible ball handler, and terrible rebounder. The only thing he does moderately well is shoot 3-pointers (but even then, his percentage is only average) and free throws (but he never gets to the line because he doesn't bang around inside). A big man has no right shooting less than 40% from the field.

Have people seriously not noticed that for 7 consecutive seasons that Raptors have been significantly worse both offensively and defensively when he is on the court?

Bargnani is absolutely not one of the worst players in the league.  That's a foolish overstatement.

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
A possibility here:

Boston would send it's 1st round pick this year to Memphis in exchange for receiving both Davis and Ross for Pierce.

I'd like to see Bass or Terry go out with Pierce if he's traded, but it's hard to see how that would make any sense in the context of this deal.

that's a much better deal for the celtics,  but the raptors have been said to have zero interest in trading Ross.

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Why on earth would we want Bargnani, unless the goal is to tank for a lottery pick?

Bargnani is one of the worst players in the league. He's a terrible shooter, terrible defender, terrible ball handler, and terrible rebounder. The only thing he does moderately well is shoot 3-pointers (but even then, his percentage is only average) and free throws (but he never gets to the line because he doesn't bang around inside). A big man has no right shooting less than 40% from the field.

Have people seriously not noticed that for 7 consecutive seasons that Raptors have been significantly worse both offensively and defensively when he is on the court?

Bargnani is absolutely not one of the worst players in the league.  That's a foolish overstatement.

Regardless of this debate, the Cs are not doing a deal involving Pierce going out and Bargnani coming in. It makes no sense.

If the Cs trade Pierce, it's for rebuilding pieces, not high paid middle-of-the-road vets.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
A possibility here:

This one is similar to yours, but I read the Grizzlies would want some extra pieces in addition to Pierce.

Here is what I came up with.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=axx8v2o

If we are going to move Pierce and not get Gay, then we need a little more then an expiring deal and a prospect.

I could see Ainge doing like he did before. Being a bad team with one perennial All-Star, developing talent, and then moving it to acquire a couple other perennial Stars to contend.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »

fitzhickey

A possibility here:

This one is similar to yours, but I read the Grizzlies would want some extra pieces in addition to Pierce.

Here is what I came up with.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=axx8v2o

If we are going to move Pierce and not get Gay, then we need a little more then an expiring deal and a prospect.

I could see Ainge doing like he did before. Being a bad team with one perennial All-Star, developing talent, and then moving it to acquire a couple other perennial Stars to contend.
Don't really want kleiza. 4 million for seven points a game.

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Ainge is smart enough not to trade Pierce for an expiring and youth.

If Pierce is getting traded it's for either youth and/or picks.

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
ed davis is good, if you turn pp into ed i would do it, last year they tried to turn ray into mayo and failed, that would have been a smart move.

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2013, 05:28:28 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
A possibility here:

Why would we give a 1st up in that type of deal? It would defeat the entire point of trading Pierce which would be acquiring young pieces and players to rebuild. The way I see it, Calderon and Davis don't equal a Pierce or Gay in value. The Raptors would have to include Ross(since the don't own there 2013 first) to have the deal make sense for the Cs.

If Pierce for Ross/Davis/Calderon was the offer on the table I think the Cs would really have to consider it.

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Celtics get in on the Memphis / Toronto Rudy Gay trade.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ass6lug

Bos gets: Calderon / Bayless

Mem gets: Terry / A. Johnson / Derozan

Tor gets: Gay / Bass
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
another trade i would consider

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a7l3ur9

puts the c's under the tax threshold also, don't see this team losing much if they sub jeff for paul

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
A possibility here:

Why would we give a 1st up in that type of deal? It would defeat the entire point of trading Pierce which would be acquiring young pieces and players to rebuild. The way I see it, Calderon and Davis don't equal a Pierce or Gay in value. The Raptors would have to include Ross(since the don't own there 2013 first) to have the deal make sense for the Cs.

If Pierce for Ross/Davis/Calderon was the offer on the table I think the Cs would really have to consider it.

Because Memphis would want more for Gay than Pierce. And because Pierce alone won't net you two prospects like Ross and Davis -- heck, I'm doubtful that including the pick would even net those two.

My point -- you'd rather have Davis or Ross than the Cs 1st this year, in all likelihood.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
A possibility here:

Because Memphis would want more for Gay than Pierce. And because Pierce alone won't net you two prospects like Ross and Davis -- heck, I'm doubtful that including the pick would even net those two.

My point -- you'd rather have Davis or Ross than the Cs 1st this year, in all likelihood.

Memphis would want more from Toronto not from us. Memphis wants future cap relief while improving their team. They aren't going to do better than a straight up Pierce for Gay trade.

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
A possibility here:

Memphis would want more from Toronto not from us. Memphis wants future cap relief while improving their team. They aren't going to do better than a straight up Pierce for Gay trade.

I don't really follow you -- trades are about net in and out. Memphis cares about what they get for Rudy Gay, not who gives it up.

Example: if Toronto trades Ross to Memphis instead of the Cs 2013 1st, the deal I propose likely gets less interesting to to the Cs because they have to take a lesser player from Memphis, then basically only get Davis.

Yet the Griz want more than just Pierce for Gay, notably a young player or a pick to make up for all they've had to ship out to get under the tax. If Pierce is all they'd get, then they're not likely to make such a trade.

All of this is probably moot since the most reluctant party in the deal i propose is probably Toronto. So let's say i disagree with you and leave it at that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:11:45 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
Memphis wants cap relief to keep themselves out of luxury land down the line, but they also want to keep competing. Toronto doesn't have anything to offer that  helps them do both that's why it was said that they want "more" for Gay and a third team would be needed. Boston was mentioned as a third team because Memphis was rumored to be open to a Pierce for Gay trade. Pierce provides everything Memphis would want in a trade and they aren't likely to do better. Pierce is a better scorer, shooter, and has a better contract. Trading Gay for Pierce would not be selling short so I don't see why Memphis would want more from the Celtics. That's just how I see it, but I'll agree to disagree.