Author Topic: Rudy Gay traded to raptors  (Read 29213 times)

Re: Sources: Raptors covet Rudy Gay
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Why on earth would we want Bargnani, unless the goal is to tank for a lottery pick?

Bargnani is one of the worst players in the league. He's a terrible shooter, terrible defender, terrible ball handler, and terrible rebounder. The only thing he does moderately well is shoot 3-pointers (but even then, his percentage is only average) and free throws (but he never gets to the line because he doesn't bang around inside). A big man has no right shooting less than 40% from the field.

Have people seriously not noticed that for 7 consecutive seasons that Raptors have been significantly worse both offensively and defensively when he is on the court?

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Haven't seen this news posted in regards to the Raptors pursuit of Gay, but Steve Kyler, an editor for USA Today who is generally a very reliable source tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/296354272281493506

@stevekylerNBA RT @brokerjohnny: Why is it hard for MEM & TOR to find a 3rd team for Calderon? ---> I would watch Boston.

and

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/296354408889995264

@stevekylerNBA RT @brokerjohnny: ---> Boston has more need for Calderon and Ed Davis than Memphis

Obviously he isn't saying Boston is involved, but if a third team is needed, Boston would be a great fit. Just speculation/educated guess/whatever you want to call it.

I am not a huge Calderon fan, but he is in the last year of his deal. I do however, love Ed Davis. He's a very talented young big man. Not sure what Boston would give up for that package...

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
i like jose alot, problem is he is expiring, if we could come to an agreement (5 to 6 mill) with him i would love to do a calderon/davis deal, i would offer bass, lee and throw in melo

jose a good enough shooter to play as a two gaurd once rondo comes back, or even make rondo expendable.

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Haven't seen this news posted in regards to the Raptors pursuit of Gay, but Steve Kyler, an editor for USA Today who is generally a very reliable source tweeted this:

@stevekylerNBA RT @brokerjohnny: Why is it hard for MEM & TOR to find a 3rd team for Calderon? ---> I would watch Boston.

and

@stevekylerNBA RT @brokerjohnny: ---> Boston has more need for Calderon and Ed Davis than Memphis

Obviously he isn't saying Boston is involved, but if a third team is needed, Boston would be a great fit. Just speculation/educated guess/whatever you want to call it.

I am not a huge Calderon fan, but he is in the last year of his deal. I do however, love Ed Davis. He's a very talented young big man. Not sure what Boston would give up for that package...

More from Kryler.
A couple of thoughts on Rudy Gay rumors involving Toronto... nothing is close. Nothing is pending. Nothing needs one more phone call.
3:45pm - 29 Jan 13

Rudy Gay rumors... although I know Memphis has limited interest in Paul Pierce, that is the situation to watch. Boston would flip Rudy Gay.

Rudy Gay rumors... Toronto has the assets Boston would want if they are blowing up the older core... Calderon replaces Rondo, Davis youth

Rudy Gay rumors... I don't think Boston really wants to trade Paul Pierce, but may have no other viable options for real change in the team

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I will be seriously depressed if Ainge flips Rudy Gay for Calderon and Ed Davis.

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
i like jose alot, problem is he is expiring, if we could come to an agreement (5 to 6 mill) with him i would love to do a calderon/davis deal, i would offer bass, lee and throw in melo

jose a good enough shooter to play as a two gaurd once rondo comes back, or even make rondo expendable.

Sounds like pierce might have to be moved.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I will be seriously depressed if Ainge flips Rudy Gay for Calderon and Ed Davis.

Really? I would be ecstatic. I think Gay is one of the most overrated (and overpaid) players. There is an argument that his numbers suffer because of Memphis' style of play and the roster, but he's getting paid like a franchise star, he's been in the NBA for 7 years now. I don't think he is going to change much. He is what he is. I guy with all this potential, but nothing more than an athletic, slightly above average wing player. I would be seriously depressed if he clogged up the cap with his outrageous salary for the next 3 years.

Calderon is an expiring contract and Davis is a very promising young, athletic big man. If people are going crazy over how well Sully has played this year (rightfully so), Davis is already a better player and has a higher ceiling. Having him and Sully up front is a pretty nice front court to build on.

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
another memphis/c's/raps

with paul going to grizz

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a5rd6xe

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 04:40:51 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
In engagement of 3rd teams for possible Rudy Gay-to-Toronto deal, Raptors struggling to find landing spot for Jose Calderon, sources tell Y!

WojYahooNBA

Weird that Memphis doesn't just want to take on his expiring contract directly.
I'm guessing that the proposed trade would put them over the luxury tax this year if they took him.

Hard to make sense of that -- they're not that close to the line at this point. They'd need to be taking a bunch of players back from Toronto for it to be an issue -- like Fields, Barngani, etc -- and it's hard to see then why Memphis would be doing it in the first place.
Aren't they only 3 million under?

Yes -- but, it still seems odd. It must mean they want Lowry back in the deal, but aren't willing to take either Fields or Klieza as filler, so it has to be Calderon, thus the tax issue.
Or it could be that they want an additional asset that Toronto isn't willing to surrender. So they're trying to turn Calderon into a first round pick.

Yep -- also a possibility. Hard to imagine a team giving up a 1st for Jose, and equally difficult to find a fit. Cs and Jazz are the closest I can come up with, but I can't see Utah doing it and Boston doesn't have a short / expiring contract to match.

Danny is not giving up a 1st for a rental like calderon. If he gives up a 1st it will be for a player for the future(Like Millsap or Josh Smith)

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

and

I guess the question becomes what is Memphis getting in a deal here if the Cs are getting the likes of Davis and Calderon or Lowry:

1) A Celtics 1st rounder? Sure;
2) DeRozen? Could be;
3) Something more from the Cs?

It sounds like Kyler thinks it could be Pierce, but then Wojo's report about struggling to find a home for Calderon doesn't make a ton of sense. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:48:54 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6219751

most likely 3 way trade if there is to be one

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
rather klieza, fields than bargs, his horrible

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6219751

most likely 3 way trade if there is to be one

I still don't know about giving up Pierce for Davis and Calderon, but at least in this scenario we turn Bass into Bargnani which is the only upgrade involving Bargnani coming to our team...

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
what would be the point of trading pierce for any of those proposals?  calderon is gone next season and adding him and ed davis don't really help this team win now.   without pierce, you conceed the season for what essentially is ed davis?   how does that make sense?