Author Topic: Rudy Gay traded to raptors  (Read 29236 times)

Re: Sources: Raptors covet Rudy Gay
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I have a feeling that the more this rumor heats up the more the Celtics get mentioned in it. We shall see.

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Best I could do

Boston - Lowry
Toronto - Gay, Arthur
Memphis - Davis, Fields, Lee, Kleiza, Bos 1st (protected top 20, top 15 next year, top 10 2015, unprotected 2016), Bos 2nd

Boston gets a quality PG replacement and shaves a bunch of salary for a redundant wing and a heavily protected 1st (and a 2nd).

Toronto gets Gay and Arthur, two players they want for Davis and some now redundant wings.

Memphis saves a bunch of money long term, gets a nice young PF prospect, and adds a bunch of depth and a future pick (and a 2nd).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Best I could do

Boston - Lowry
Toronto - Gay, Arthur
Memphis - Davis, Fields, Lee, Kleiza, Bos 1st (protected top 20, top 15 next year, top 10 2015, unprotected 2016), Bos 2nd

Boston gets a quality PG replacement and shaves a bunch of salary for a redundant wing and a heavily protected 1st (and a 2nd).

Toronto gets Gay and Arthur, two players they want for Davis and some now redundant wings.

Memphis saves a bunch of money long term, gets a nice young PF prospect, and adds a bunch of depth and a future pick (and a 2nd).

See the trade I posted previously. It's basically the same, but Calderon instead of Fields and Kleiza. The only contract Hollinger thought was worse last summer than Green's was Fields', and Kleiza has a full year left guaranteed at ~$5MM. 

The Griz are not going to take those guys back in a deal for Gay -- the want young assets and expiring deal(s), the latter of which will give them some wiggle room to improve their team over the next couple of years.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Best I could do

Boston - Lowry
Toronto - Gay, Arthur

See the trade I posted previously. It's basically the same, but Calderon instead of Fields and Kleiza. The only contract Hollinger thought was worse last summer than Green's was Fields', and Kleiza has a full year left guaranteed at ~$5MM. 

The Griz are not going to take those guys back in a deal for Gay -- the want young assets and expiring deal(s), the latter of which will give them some wiggle room to improve their team over the next couple of years.
The Raptors aren't trading both Calderon and Lowry.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Best I could do

Boston - Lowry
Toronto - Gay, Arthur

I read somewhere -- I think it was a Toronto beat writer (twitter maybe) -- saying that he thought the Raptors would either trade both or just Lowry. It sounded like he felt there was a real chance they'd move both players.

Somewhat makes sense. If Lowry isn't long term option + they don't want to re-sign Calderon (32 years old) to a multi-year contract and want to get whatever they can for him in this trade window before he leaves.

Still seems a bit odd though ... but I think it was a beat writer for the Raptors where I read this. So maybe there is something to it.

Edit: Here is the tweet I remembered

My guess is either both move or just Calderon, but can't see just Lowry going, unless someone antes up for him

So he (Ryan Wolstat) thought Lowry was the guy to stay or both would go. I got that wrong. Not Calderon to stay. He seems to think Calderon is definitely on his way out.

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Best I could do

Boston - Lowry
Toronto - Gay, Arthur

Why? They're a contender? Are they even going to make the playoffs?

To the contrary, i think it's far more likely that neither guy is wearing a Raptor uni when the 2013-14 seasons begins than either still is.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Don't want the Celtics to be apart of this trade, but I kinda like it for the Raptors. Would love for them to see if they could get a trade partner who'd be interested in Bargnani. Maybe, and I'm stealing this idea from the BS Report, Steven Jackson in a dump (and I'm assuming Jackson gets bought out)

Lowry
Ross / Derozan
Gay
Davis / Ahmir
Valancunias

EDIT: god, I hate that they resigned Derozan

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
In engagement of 3rd teams for possible Rudy Gay-to-Toronto deal, Raptors struggling to find landing spot for Jose Calderon, sources tell Y!

WojYahooNBA

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
In engagement of 3rd teams for possible Rudy Gay-to-Toronto deal, Raptors struggling to find landing spot for Jose Calderon, sources tell Y!

WojYahooNBA

Just saw that, wonder if Houston would do this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ad8lryr

Boston Sends: Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass
Boston Receives: Jose Calderon

Toronto Sends: Jose Calderon, Ed Davis
Toronto Receives: Rudy Gay

Memphis Receives: Ed Davis, Courtney Lee, Houston Cash
Memphis Sends: Rudy Gay

Houston Sends: Cash
Houston Receives: Brandon Bass

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Send Bass and a second rounder. Calderon isn't too valuable.

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 02:22:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would Houston take on Bass when they have so many PFs already?

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

WojYahooNBA

Just saw that, wonder if Houston would do this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ad8lryr

Boston Sends: Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass
Boston Receives: Jose Calderon

Toronto Sends: Jose Calderon, Ed Davis
Toronto Receives: Rudy Gay

Memphis Receives: Ed Davis, Courtney Lee, Houston Cash
Memphis Sends: Rudy Gay

Houston Sends: Cash
Houston Receives: Brandon Bass

Would probably do that trade, but rather give up Terry instead of Lee.

Clears a bunch of cap space(we aren't a contender anymore so might as well clear cap space)

If KG retires, and PP is waived, the c's will have a bunch of cap room to sign players or trade without having to match salary.

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Why would Houston take on Bass when they have so many PFs already?

Cuz outside of Patterson none of them are really any good. Could do the same with the Cavs I suppose.

EDIT: Shoot, I kinda like Terrence Jones too. Anyone know another team with cap space?

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

WojYahooNBA

Weird that Memphis doesn't just want to take on his expiring contract directly.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

WojYahooNBA

Weird that Memphis doesn't just want to take on his expiring contract directly.

I imagine they're going to need a SG/SF to replace Gay