Author Topic: Rudy Gay traded to raptors  (Read 29210 times)

Re: Sources: Raptors covet Rudy Gay
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 09:16:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
This is the most sensible deal I can come up with in the scenario ESPN describes. As they suggest, the Celtics give up a 1st rounder in the deal going to Memphis.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ae5c5k9

I think this is a very fair deal for the Cs, particularly considering it allows them to try to 'win now' but actually gives them Anderson and salary flexibility next year, should they want it. I also think it's interesting for the Griz.

At first glance, I think it looney tunes for TOR. But -- 1) they seem to hate Lowry, 2) they're not going to pay Calderon in the offseason, and 3) Colangalo is desperate to be relevant now in order to keep his job.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
This is the most sensible deal I can come up with in the scenario ESPN describes. As they suggest, the Celtics give up a 1st rounder in the deal going to Memphis.

I think this is a very fair deal for the Cs, particularly considering it allows them to try to 'win now' but actually gives them Anderson and salary flexibility next year, should they want it. I also think it's interesting for the Griz.

At first glance, I think it looney tunes for TOR. But -- 1) they seem to hate Lowry, 2) they're not going to pay Calderon in the offseason, and 3) Colangalo is desperate to be relevant now in order to keep his job.

Memphis gets no gay replacement?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Memphis gets no gay replacement?

I think that's cake and eating it too. They want young players, picks, salary relief. They're not getting a Gay replacement from either TOR or BOS in this deal because they dont want Green and cant get DeRozen.

Granted, Lee is a SG, not a SF, but he's a quality wing who is a major upgrade at the 2 for them. And aside from Davis, they're getting good 3pt shooting in Lee and Calderon.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Think Memphis and Toronto go for this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aet86tb

Yes, but I don't think Boston does!!

Rondo, Bradley, and Green for Lowry, Fields, and Bargnagni???

Each of our players outgoing are better values than their respective player coming in.  And it's not a deal that's going to make us favorites to win a title.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39

That trade makes Toronto very wing heavy and Grizzlies guard heavy. I toyed a bit with your idea and came up with this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=auhzlwb.

However, given that Memphis are essentially letting Gay go due to financial reasons, I'm positive that taking back $12m this year is decent enough. However, they whould have to be sold that Green would fit their system and produce adequately (which is doubtful), and that they ship Terry on possibly in the offseason, for further cap relief. And I'm not sold on that, considering his current level of performance.

The incentives for Boston and Toronto are relatively obvious, so I won't go into detail with that.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 09:42:49 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

That trade makes Toronto very wing heavy and Grizzlies guard heavy. I toyed a bit with your idea and came up with this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=auhzlwb.

However, given that Memphis are essentially letting Gay go due to financial reasons, I'm positive that taking back $12m this year is decent enough. However, they whould have to be sold that Green would fit their system and produce adequately (which is doubtful), and that they ship Terry on possibly in the offseason, for further cap relief. And I'm not sold on that, considering his current level of performance.

The incentives for Boston and Toronto are relatively obvious, so I won't go into detail with that.

Don't understand what you mean. Toronto trades a wing and gets a wing. And Lee plays a position where the Griz currently have basically nothing.

More importantly, your deal doesn't follow the report. Participants: Gay, Arthur, Davis, Lowry, Calderon (for salary purposes). The Griz want young players (meaning, rookie contracts), salary relief, and a pick. The Cs come in to put a player in for Lowry and provide the pick. I add Anderson, who is valuable to the Cs but becomes redundant on the Raps, for providing the pick.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:48:17 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
What "sources"?
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What "sources"?

Marc Stein is arguably the most legit national NBA insider. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Just a heads up if anyone wants to hear. He's [Woj] probably the best insider in the league.
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62219.msg1387327#msg1387327

Battle royale!!!

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Just a heads up if anyone wants to hear. He's [Woj] probably the best insider in the league.
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62219.msg1387327#msg1387327

Battle royale!!!

I far prefer Stein. Very solid reporting. None of the BS drama.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Toronto shouldn't pursue Rudy Gay. He is not a guy you can build around.

If you already have a high level star in place, Rudy Gay would make a strong 2nd or 3rd option. The only reason I like the idea of Gay in Boston is because Rondo is already here.

I'd agree with that in many situations, but Toronto has no ability to attract a higher level star player.  They've never been able to attract a star in free agency.  Every star they've drafted (Vince, T-mac, or Bosh) either left in free agency or Toronto had little choice but to trade them.  Unless they strike gold in the draft, I think Gay is the type of player they should try to grab.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Why?? They already have two great pieces in Ross and DeRozan. Toronto is nuts.
I wouldn't call Ross a great piece yet.  He hasn't even earned the right to be called a "piece."

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Sources told ESPN.com on Sunday night, in the wake of Rajon Rondo's season-ending knee injury, that Boston was more likely to pursue Lowry and his cap-friendly contract.

this yet Ainge basically calls Lowry a cancer well played Danny!  :P
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Sources told ESPN.com on Sunday night, in the wake of Rajon Rondo's season-ending knee injury, that Boston was more likely to pursue Lowry and his cap-friendly contract.

this yet Ainge basically calls Lowry a cancer well played Danny!  :P

When did Danny say that? I thought Wojo was the one saying that he has had trouble everywhere he goes?

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225841/Raptors_Discussing_Trade_For_Rudy_Gay_With_Grizzlies

Not to much here saying that Jose and Ed davis are the core of the deal. But you gotta think Danny is trying to get in on this. Def. If the Raptors are willing to move Ed davis then throw Bass to toronto and try to nab Jose and throw a pick towards the grizz and try to get in the middle of this a work something out. Really hope the Danny is on the phone trying to get in on this.