Author Topic: Rudy Gay traded to raptors  (Read 29230 times)

Rudy Gay traded to raptors
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Memphis Grizzlies continue to field calls from teams interested in Rudy Gay and are engaged in active trade discussions with the Toronto Raptors, sources with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com.

Although the framework of a workable trade has not yet been established, sources told ESPN.com that Toronto -- known to be perhaps Gay's most determined suitor -- has continued to make a hard push for the swingman.

The Grizzlies, though, maintain that last week's luxury-tax-slashing trade with Cleveland means they no longer feel the same pressure to move Gay or another high-priced player before the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline.

New Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien told local reporters late last week that "we really like our team" and that it is "more likely than not that we do nothing" in terms of breaking up Memphis' marquee foursome of Gay, point guard Mike Conley, forward Zach Randolph and center Marc Gasol.

But sources say that the Raptors, undaunted by that stance, continue to pursue Gay and also covet Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur. Toronto, sources said, has made veteran point guard Jose Calderon and blossoming young forward Ed Davis available as the two cornerstones of its offer.

Other teams remain engaged with the Grizzlies as well, as Memphis officials continue to weigh whether it is best to trade Gay or keep together the core of a team that has ranked among the top four in the Western Conference.

If talks with the Raptors do progress, according to sources, it's possible that a trade with Memphis could expand to include other teams and players. NBA front-office sources have maintained for weeks that Calderon (who has an expiring contract), fellow Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry (only $1 million in guaranteed salary next season) and former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani all are available.

The Boston Celtics, sources say, are another team that has registered exploratory interest in Gay. But making a trade for Gay would require Boston to part with Paul Pierce -- a step that Celtics management may not be ready to take, especially since Gay has two years left on his contract valued at more than $35 million.

Sources say that the Grizzlies, meanwhile, know Pierce would likely have strong reservations about leaving Boston for Memphis and aren't sure he could address the various priorities they've identified as musts in a Gay trade, such as adding depth and youth to the roster as well as balancing out a top-heavy payroll.

Sources told ESPN.com on Sunday night, in the wake of Rajon Rondo's season-ending knee injury, that Boston was more likely to pursue Lowry and his cap-friendly contract.

ESPN.com reported Friday that there is no shortage of teams convinced that the Grizzlies might still opt to move Gay before the trade deadline, especially in the wake of their recent trade with Cleveland that shed more than $6 million in salary and took the Grizzlies under the luxury-tax threshold.

But Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins and various players have publicly lobbied for the right to play out this season with no dramatic changes to the roster, now that Memphis will not have a luxury-tax bill at season's end.

Taking the long-term view, however, Memphis' management team under new owner Robert Pera is said to be concerned about its limited ability to keep improving the roster and address obvious concerns regarding the Grizzlies' depth and perimeter shooting. The bulk of Memphis' payroll is tied up in four players: Gay, Conley, Randolph and Gasol.

To convince Cleveland to take back reserves Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington and Josh Selby in Tuesday's trade, Memphis was forced to surrender a protected future first-round pick.

The Grizzlies, sources said, were concerned about their lack of future first-round picks before that trade and are thus believed to be pursuing picks as part of any in-season deal involving Gay.

The Grizzlies could also elect to resist in-season trades and then try to move Gay or Randolph in connection with the draft in June or during free agency in July.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8891818/rudy-gay-subject-active-trade-discussions-toronto-raptors-memphis-grizzlies-sources
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:39:40 PM by crownontherocks »

Re: Sources: Raptors covet Rudy Gay
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
everyone covets rudy gay

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:10:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Raptors have been after Gay for months. Since last season, at least.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I'm more interested in the fact that sources tell ESPN that the Celts are pursuing Lowry... I mean its guess its common sense if the Raptors want to trade him but what could we offer?

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Why?? They already have two great pieces in Ross and DeRozan. Toronto is nuts.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:13:01 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
does ross or derozan average over 20 ppg?

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Toronto shouldn't pursue Rudy Gay. He is not a guy you can build around.

If you already have a high level star in place, Rudy Gay would make a strong 2nd or 3rd option. The only reason I like the idea of Gay in Boston is because Rondo is already here.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm more interested in the fact that sources tell ESPN that the Celts are pursuing Lowry... I mean its guess its common sense if the Raptors want to trade him but what could we offer?

maybe if Lowry is really a cancer we can get him for cheap? Something like Bass+Lee and Melo for Lowry and a player to match salaries?

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Lol I created a big trade thread earlier about a three way between Boston, Memphis, and Toronto. The pieces are there for deals to get done.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I can't really see where he would fit in Tor

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

DeRozan is averaging more points than Gay this season. He also shoots .43 FG%, while Gay has a .40 FG%.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Think Memphis and Toronto go for this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aet86tb

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Does Gay?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Does Gay?

Also, two players are better than one... and cheaper too.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Does Gay?

I was just gonna say that. TP