Poll

Is this win against Miami the turning point? Does it matter?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do you think the win against Miami means anything?  (Read 2847 times)

Re: Do you think the win against Miami means anything?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope, it is regular season and I am sure our guys were up to show Ray.   If you can't get up playing the HEAT your dead, period no pulse.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Miami had a very good game, and we had a better one.
We can beat 'em in the playoffs without Rondo.
Uh-huh.
Yep.
We can do it.
If a win against Miami playing well means nothing, then we got a problem.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Miami had a very good game, and we had a better one.
We can beat 'em in the playoffs without Rondo.
Uh-huh.
Yep.
We can do it.
If a win against Miami playing well means nothing, then we got a problem.

+1...I agree with this.

cHeat did not take us lightly. They never will with KG/Pierce on the team and Judas on their team.

National TV, they wanted this game bad.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:06:51 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Nope, it is regular season and I am sure our guys were up to show Ray.   If you can't get up playing the HEAT your dead, period no pulse.

I disagree. I think the very first game of the season they wanted to show up Ray. Lots of chucking. Not much defense.Trying to style on the Heat.

This time we played good solid basketball. And honestly, without some lucky shots, they wouldn't have taken us to regulation. And you can find a moral victory in that.

But after 2 2OT's, they found a way to win. I don't see how that's not SOMEWHAT significant.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 11:09:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I disagree. I think the very first game of the season they wanted to show up Ray. Lots of chucking. Not much defense.Trying to style on the Heat.

This time we played good solid basketball. And honestly, without some lucky shots, they wouldn't have taken us to regulation. And you can find a moral victory in that.

But after 2 2OT's, they found a way to win. I don't see how that's not SOMEWHAT significant.

We played as solid as we did against the Thunder and Knicks. Notice how these games coincide with Jeff Green playing great too!

But it was 58 minutes of solid basketball.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yep, it means one "W" in the standings.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:12 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Means absolutely nothing...can't beat them in a 7 game series and I thought they played down to us not having our best player and the Celts were giving their best thinking rondo would be back in no time....happens all the time in the nba..it was like us going into Cleveland and playing down to the competition while they were giving their all for some sort of statement win
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:29:48 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Means absolutely nothing...can't beat them in a 7 game series and I thought they played down to us not having our best player and the Celts were giving their best thinking rondo would be back in no time....happens all the time in the nba..it was like us going into Cleveland and playing down to the competition while they were giving their all for some sort of statement win

I get that.  Our team was hyped, and they played a high emotion game and pulled the upset.   Nothing to get excited about.

On the hand, there might be something to get excited about.  This team was built this year very specifically with the Miami Heat in mind.  The key for us in a seven game series will be the ability to match up with their small ball.  I think that we've got the ability to give them a run for their money with Pierce and Green together at the forwards, and a couple of athletic, up-tempo, defensive minded guards.  Also, Kevin Garnett is a poor matchup for them on the interior.

We can definitely give them some trouble.  Sure, we lost our best player, but we still have two guys who are capable of playing the game at very, very high levels.  I was optimistic before Rondo went down.  Part of my optimism was based on the expectation that Pierce and KG would play like the superstars that they are once the post-season rolls around.  Rondo is our best player, but I never expected him to do it alone. 

Give me the Heat in the first round and let's see what happens.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 11:54:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
my optimism was based on the expectation that Pierce and KG would play like the superstars that they are once the post-season rolls around

**were. They are only stars now, at best. We will need more from Lee, Bradley, Green, Bass, Terry, Wilcox, Barbosa, Collins.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I do think the team was constructed with Miami (and to a lesser extent OKC) in mind.

However, without Rondo, that whole plan is out the window.  We aren't beating Miami in a 7 game series without Rondo.  Nobody else on the team has the ability to step up and win 2 games in a playoff series by themselves anymore.  That's what you need to beat the best teams.  The Celtics used to have 3-4 guys who could do that.  Without Rondo, they have none.

Even if they could beat Miami, I think they'd get beaten up inside over the course of a series by a healthy, young, big team like the Bulls.  I wouldn't feel very good about their chances against the Knicks or Nets in a series, either.

I think an objective assessment of this team will arrive at the conclusion that it's headed for a first round exit, except maybe against Indiana, Milwaukee, or Atlanta -- but again, those are the weakest teams and yet they match up well with the Celtics.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 12:03:27 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
No.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 12:04:45 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I do think the team was constructed with Miami (and to a lesser extent OKC) in mind.

However, without Rondo, that whole plan is out the window.  We aren't beating Miami in a 7 game series without Rondo.  Nobody else on the team has the ability to step up and win 2 games in a playoff series by themselves anymore.  That's what you need to beat the best teams.  The Celtics used to have 3-4 guys who could do that.  Without Rondo, they have none.

Even if they could beat Miami, I think they'd get beaten up inside over the course of a series by a healthy, young, big team like the Bulls.  I wouldn't feel very good about their chances against the Knicks or Nets in a series, either.

I think an objective assessment of this team will arrive at the conclusion that it's headed for a first round exit, except maybe against Indiana, Milwaukee, or Atlanta -- but again, those are the weakest teams and yet they match up well with the Celtics.

I actually think we match up well with the Knicks for some of the same reasons that I think we match up well with Miami.  They also rely on playing one of the best scoring small forwards in the league big minutes at the four position.  A front line of Pierce, Green, and Garnett are our ace in the hole against Miami and New York's lineups. 

There are definitely teams out there where it won't work so well, but, to me, Jeff at the four is the key to our success right now.

Small ball, baby!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Whenever i see your name i know you're getting ready to say some truth rather we like it or not, respect. I still can't believe we lost game 2 last year. Rondo took that game over and we STILL couldn't beat miami. When lebron did the same thing against us in game 6 the game wasn't even close......

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 01:45:45 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
It means the same that a lose against Cleveland Means
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!