Poll

Is this win against Miami the turning point? Does it matter?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do you think the win against Miami means anything?  (Read 2857 times)

Do you think the win against Miami means anything?
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Point blank question--moreso from the likes of it being a 'turning point'. Don't be a smart alec and say it matters because it's a W lol. And feel free to share your reasoning!

For me, I think Yes and I think it can definitely be a potential turning point. This team was built to beat Miami. It's something that was branded in their heads from the jump. Something the team has been more than open about. They want to beat Miami.

Our very first game was against Miami and you could tell the team was hyped up, they just couldn't find the way to win. And I think ever since then they've never had the confidence they've needed or wanted. None of the other games really MATTERED to them because it wasn't Miami. The OKC win was probably nice...but they're not the defending champs who took Ray.

I think this win is a confidence booster and has them on the right track. They now know they are capable of beating the enemy and the idea from here on out is to show we KNOW we can bang with anyone. Even without Rondo.

Thoughts?

Re: Do you think the win against Miami means anything?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
If you're extremely naive sure. Any team in the NBA can beat any team on any given day. As far as the big picture no, this game meant absolutely nothing.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:16 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
It meant everything, especially since our players didn't even know Rondo was out!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:27:37 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
It meant everything, especially since our players didn't even know Rondo was out!

Actually it would have meant more if they actually knew he was out for good. Explain to me how this win meant everything. What exactly is going to happen now since the celtics managed to beat miami once in a regular season game?

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
If you're extremely naive sure. Any team in the NBA can beat any team on any given day. As far as the big picture no, this game meant absolutely nothing.

I get that. But you also have to see the symbolism, no?

We beat our Atlantic Division rival without Rondo. This was a playoff atmosphere.
We beat our Eastern Conference rival without Rondo. One could argue, this was also a playoff atmosphere.

I think it's dangerous to just take that in stride.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nope

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The day, itself, was a turning point since it was when we found out this team will be without Rondo for the rest of the season.

For the actual game?  No, I don't think its a turning point.  This team is going to continue to have its struggles and I don't expect them to rip off a 10 game winning streak or anything.

It was a great win but I'm not taking too much out of it other than, that given day, they could be the defending world champs.  In the NBA, that's not really that surprising in the regular season. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
One think I loved seeing was the defensive pressure applied by Bradley on the PG, Lee on the SG and Green on the SF, when all 3 of these players were on the floor together.

With Rondo gone, we will see those 3 players in those roles more often.

AS to a direct answer to the original post, all the win proves is that the C's can win big games without Rondo. Can they do it over half a season? We'll see.

My money says the Celtics will rally together with a chip on their shoulder, and win about half their remaining games - baring another major injury.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Not especially.  I think it was an indicator that this team still has pride and the ability to grit out the occasional game where they're outmatched in terms of talent.  I don't think it means anything with regards to our chances of doing it in a seven-game series. 

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Yes, it means something. It means that the Celtics can play winning basketball, even without Rondo, provided a renewed commitment to defense and collective execution.

No, it's not the turning point of the season. The injury to Rondo is.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It means that every once in a while, these old champions can get up for a big game.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
1.  It was a testament to all the things that make Doc Rivers a good coach.  A 6 game losing streak with multiple heartbreaking defeats.  No Rondo. Playing against the best player on Earth.  And while Miami played down to the level of competition in the first half, they turned up the intensity in the 2nd and a lot of teams would have folded.  This one didn't and that's largely credit to Doc.

2.  As good as Rondo is, he clearly is at the heart of some of the team's problems.  His spotty perimeter defense and the basic struggle that Doc wants to run a halfcourt game for Pierce and KG while Rondo needs to be running up and down the court are issues that probably can't be fixed until KG, Pierce and maybe Doc are gone.

3.  Miami is not the super-team they were supposed to be.  Not even close.  Oh, they might win another title or two, but they ain't winning 6 like Jordan's Bulls or 4 like Duncan's Spurs.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I do think the win against Miami yesterday means something.  The one thing that absolutely impressed me the most and gave me the most hope was Jeff Green's defense against Lebron James. 

Despite losing Rondo, that game showed me that we still match up pretty well against the Heat. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
It means something. It means the Celtics can win against a top team, but they knew that. It means they can win without Rondo, but they knew that, too.

However, I think it points to *how* they can win games. How they will *have* to play to win games against top teams. If they learn that lesson, take it to heart, that game could mean a lot. What it didn't tell us, or them, is if they can keep playing that style, giving that effort, game after game. Time will tell if they have finally heard Doc when he says "You can't win easy, you have to work hard, play hard, to win."

Turning point in the season? Who knows, but remember this team just played the Knicks to the last possession before losing, the Hawks to double overtime before losing...and in just as hard fought a game beat the Heat. That's a three game streak of effort, make it four, then five, then six...and maybe the team will have turned around.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
It means something. It means the Celtics can win against a top team, but they knew that. It means they can win without Rondo, but they knew that, too.

However, I think it points to *how* they can win games. How they will *have* to play to win games against top teams. If they learn that lesson, take it to heart, that game could mean a lot. What it didn't tell us, or them, is if they can keep playing that style, giving that effort, game after game. Time will tell if they have finally heard Doc when he says "You can't win easy, you have to work hard, play hard, to win."

Turning point in the season? Who knows, but remember this team just played the Knicks to the last possession before losing, the Hawks to double overtime before losing...and in just as hard fought a game beat the Heat. That's a three game streak of effort, make it four, then five, then six...and maybe the team will have turned around.

that's true, though the Hawks game was a bit of a what in the world type of story.

the bulls game, too. was a lot of effort.