Author Topic: Rondo is being put too high on a pedestal  (Read 18176 times)

Re: Rondo is being put too high on a pedestal
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo is overrated for sure. Imagine Rondo playign in West Conference...There is no chance to see him in West All Star Team

Aside from Paul and Rondo I'd say it's easy to argue that the point guards in the east are better than the point guards in the west.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think we're a "different" team without Rondo. Whether we are better or worse remains to be seen.

very very well put.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Here is what the captain said :

"We've just to rally around each other," Celtics forward Paul Pierce said. "I feel for him. He was having such a great season. I'm disappointed for him."

"Oh my God," Pierce told ABC's Doris Burke when she informed him of Rondo's injury after the Celtics defeated the Heat 100-98 in double overtime.

Sure sounds like Rondo will be missed, the look on KG's face said it all to me, he was devastated.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 06:51:11 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
While I do like Rondo and wish him well, I am not willing to write off the rest of the season just because he is hurt. This team is deep and talented IMHO, even though they have underachieved most of the season so far.

Like everyone else here, I wanted a championship run this season and thought we might have a shot at one. We still have enough to make a deep playoff run and I look forward to it. I believe we will be playing past the first round and maybe even a conference final.

I know if we are swept in the first round some will say I told you so, thats ok.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Thanks kgainez -

I started another thread about how I felt the Celtics were still in a favorable position moving forward - having all options available (rebuild, stand pat, have good young players, etc) and while losing Rondo was bad, it's not the end of the world.

I mean, we're under .500 with him, 11-16 over the last 27 game.

I don't buy the sky is falling attitude. It happened and it sucks - now what?...

Our offense was point guard dominant - and it stagnated sometimes, maybe everyone takes a slightly more aggressive role now rather than waiting to be "set up" by Rondo and maybe that translates into an overall better offense - or not...

While I'd obviously rather have Rondo playing, I'm also very curious to see what kind of pressure Bradley and lee can create in tow ways:

1. On the break offensively - they both fly up and down the court.

2. Perimeter Defense: I think Bradley will play better overall D on the point guards and Lee will give us more size at the two.
* And both guys play "very hard" on the defensive end.

If the two of them can limit dribble drive our defensive numbers could be pretty good.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo is SUPREMELY overrated on this forum.  At most, he's a top 5 point guard in this league.  He's great at some things (passing), mediocre at other things (shooting)... and if you have the right players (guys who can create their own offense), you don't necessarily need what he brings to the table.   It's not like we're losing Chris Paul here or a guy who our offense relies on.  Rondo's job is to pass.. not to score.   It's not the same as the Bulls losing Rose.  Rose was their entire offense. 

As long as you have scorers, you can withstand losing Rondo... hence why we typically win when Rondo sits... Pierce usually steps up.

Also, losing Rondo can potentially fix some of the issues with this team.  More minutes to Terry and Barbosa mean we'll have offensive weapons out there.  Presumably starting Bradley at PG makes up for the fact he's ridiculously undersized for a shooting guard... likewise, starting Lee and Bradley together means our two best defensive guards will make up our starting back court.   If there was ever a year to lose Rondo... this was the year for it.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Rondo is SUPREMELY overrated on this forum.  At most, he's a top 5 point guard in this league.  He's great at some things (passing), mediocre at other things (shooting)... and if you have the right players (guys who can create their own offense), you don't necessarily need what he brings to the table.   It's not like we're losing Chris Paul here or a guy who our offense relies on.  Rondo's job is to pass.. not to score.   It's not the same as the Bulls losing Rose.  Rose was their entire offense. 

As long as you have scorers, you can withstand losing Rondo... hence why we typically win when Rondo sits... Pierce usually steps up.

I agree Pierce usually steps up for a stretch when Rondo has gone down, but I doubt that he can sustain that over the second half of the season. That's a lot to ask a 35 yr old.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
you're a known rondo detractor. the team and franchise and his play put him on this pedestal...he earned it. team will be fine until the playoffs where they have absolutely no shot

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo is overrated for sure. Imagine Rondo playign in West Conference...There is no chance to see him in West All Star Team

Well, he did get more fan votes than Russell Westbrook, Tony Parker, and Steph Curry combined.  Maybe he would have made it, after all, if he played out west.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Also, losing Rondo can potentially fix some of the issues with this team.  More minutes to Terry and Barbosa mean we'll have offensive weapons out there.  Presumably starting Bradley at PG makes up for the fact he's ridiculously undersized for a shooting guard... likewise, starting Lee and Bradley together means our two best defensive guards will make up our starting back court.   If there was ever a year to lose Rondo... this was the year for it.

meh it's a split between being under and overrated on these forums...frankly the national media speaks more highly of him then anyone around here nowadays

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Whether Celtics are different or better without Rondo, the point is this team does not skip a beat when he is out

We have all seen Pierce looking old this season. If he just plays the point guard position the whole game, he'll have an advantage over anyone that guards him. Pierce whos not even a point guard can rack up triple doubles just like Rondo, So Rondo's stat line must not be that unique or impressive. Not saying Rondo sucks, but it does say something

It means this team is talented and has offensive weapons, which any point guard can take advantage of to be effective. Especially if a replacement point guard can score as well as facilitate offense, how would we be worse off without Rondo for the playoffs? And for all of the Rondo classic playoff moments, there is at least the same number of playoff games where he's no where to be found with no impact on the game, a turnover machine, or letting an average point guard score 30 on him. (Game 5 2012 EFC against the Heat surely rings a bell with him coming up small in the post-season). And many other examples where he played horribly
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:43:22 PM by OsirusCeltics »

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 07:36:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Every time I see your posts about Rondo I briefly wonder if the Lakers are still on a pace to break 70 wins this year.

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think alot of people on this site take Rondo for granted honestly. sure maybe during the regular season he doesnt give 100% every night...but during the playoffs he plays like a superstar

theres still alot of talent on this team...other guys simply have to step up.

Bradley, barbosa, terry, Green, Lee all have to up their levels of play and try and make up for Rondo not being there.

defensively we might actually be better with a starting back-court of Bradley/Lee

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't think Rondo's being put up too high on a pedestal at all.

Rajon Rondo's importance to this team is probably under-rated in some circles.

I was happy to see him get his 1st All-Star start, finally.

And then THIS happens.

Count me as one that is not giving up on this season, but BOS will HAVE to play like they did on Sunday to have a shot vs MIA in a potential series.

I think we will win a fair amount of games from here on out, too.

I'm not counting them out, myself. This team's history is all about overcoming odds.

The season just got even more interesting....I just hope Danny doesn't pull the trigger on the season unless he is absolutely sure this team can't compete or it's for the best.

But make no mistake - our playoff success opportunity just got extremely small with Rondo's injury. Talk about no room for error, now.

We will miss "Triple-Double Rondo" in the playoffs - make no doubt about that....

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

I agree with alot of this but if we're counting on pierce to be the pierce of old then i don't like our chances at all.