Author Topic: Zach Lowe's Rondo Injury Article  (Read 5199 times)

Re: Zach Lowe's Rondo Injury Article
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
A good article. Measured, and for the most part, realistic. I still don't buy the idea that Memphis would part with Rudy Gay for Pierce, though.

I was a littled confused by the Milwaukee trade. Was he saying Henson and Sanders? or Henson or Sanders? He mentions two biug men being dealt but Dalembert was a part of the trade first mentioned.

Personally I would rather go after a big than a wing scorer. Especially when we are paying Jeff Green a decent chunk of change.

It was either/or, not both.

Why not?  Pierce is still Gay's equal and is on a much more team-friendly deal.  Pierce gives them an excellent shooter and a proven late-game asset that would pair very well with Randolph and Gasol.  He slows that team down a bit, but Randolph and Gasol aren't the fleetest of foot anyway.  They shorten their window for a potential dark horse title run in exchange for (in my opinion) improving their chances over the next two years. 

On our end, Gay is another guy that still has a lot of the 'p' word despite the fact that he's in his seventh year now.  He's a good fit with Rondo - great athlete who can run with anybody, and though his percentages are down this year he has historically been a decent shooter.  Solid rebounder.  He has flashed good defense in the past, so there's reason for hope that he could buy in on that side of the ball in Boston. 

He has an awful contract for his current level of production, but I see him as a good risk - he was starting to take his game to the next level in the '10-'11 season before getting injured (shoulder, if I recall correctly) and subsequently losing his place as the focal point of the team.  I wonder if a fresh start would do a lot of good for a guy like Gay.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 04:18:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If Golden State is serious about contending right now, they should do the Pierce for Barnes, Richard Jefferson and injured Brandon Rush right now. 

They get Pierce for this year and next for 90% of what RJ and Rush will be making (and there's no guarantee Rush will be healthy to start the season). they have a second round pick on a tiny salary to back up Pierce, in Draymond Green.  They are giving up a high draftee with a lot of promise, but you're not going to go far in the playoffs with a ton of young guys, and they have Klay Thompson to play the young un wing role. 

I like this trade for the Cs.  They get a young Pierce replacement with a bucketload of talent, in Barnes, a veteran who will have a big expiring contract next year, in RJ, and Rush, who will be useful when healthy next season.  Pierce gets to go back to California and will have a real chance to contend out there, assuming Bogut can get on the court. 

I also like the Clippers package of Bledsoe and Butler, along with Chauncey, but I don't think the Clips are going to make that big a move.  For Pierce, this landing spot would probably be the most palatable.

Trading Pierce to the Bucks would be unfair to him, although I'd probably do it if I were the Celtics' GM.   

Regarding the skepticism that teams would give up young prospects for an aging vet, most teams won't, but one has to look at each situation differently.  Then Clips might do it because they think they can win the title now, and that they're not going to sign Bledsoe to a big extension down the road anyway. I'm guessing future UFA Chris Paul would appreciate ownership taking on Pierce to help the team get over the top. The Clips will need more half court offense to win playoff series against top teams, and Pierce can give them it.   

The Warriors have to decide whether they want to run with the big boys now, or be a contender in two or three years.  A lot can happen in the next couple of years.  I'd take the shot now if I'm them.
I would rather have Klay Thompson but maybe I'm in the minority here.

I don't think GS is giving up Thompson. 

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If Golden State is serious about contending right now, they should do the Pierce for Barnes, Richard Jefferson and injured Brandon Rush right now. 

They get Pierce for this year and next for 90% of what RJ and Rush will be making (and there's no guarantee Rush will be healthy to start the season). they have a second round pick on a tiny salary to back up Pierce, in Draymond Green.  They are giving up a high draftee with a lot of promise, but you're not going to go far in the playoffs with a ton of young guys, and they have Klay Thompson to play the young un wing role. 

I like this trade for the Cs.  They get a young Pierce replacement with a bucketload of talent, in Barnes, a veteran who will have a big expiring contract next year, in RJ, and Rush, who will be useful when healthy next season.  Pierce gets to go back to California and will have a real chance to contend out there, assuming Bogut can get on the court. 

I also like the Clippers package of Bledsoe and Butler, along with Chauncey, but I don't think the Clips are going to make that big a move.  For Pierce, this landing spot would probably be the most palatable.

Trading Pierce to the Bucks would be unfair to him, although I'd probably do it if I were the Celtics' GM.   

Regarding the skepticism that teams would give up young prospects for an aging vet, most teams won't, but one has to look at each situation differently.  Then Clips might do it because they think they can win the title now, and that they're not going to sign Bledsoe to a big extension down the road anyway. I'm guessing future UFA Chris Paul would appreciate ownership taking on Pierce to help the team get over the top. The Clips will need more half court offense to win playoff series against top teams, and Pierce can give them it.   

The Warriors have to decide whether they want to run with the big boys now, or be a contender in two or three years.  A lot can happen in the next couple of years.  I'd take the shot now if I'm them.

No one said that. Fail.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 04:28:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't think any of the writer's trade ideas are realistic.

Mediocre teams who have no chance at winning a title are not giving up their high level prospects for 35+ year old veterans.

I don't think the Milwaukee deal is so far gone, especially if they intend to keep him for the duration of his contract.

Would Pierce actually go play there? I doubt it, which brings it back to unrealistic. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 04:31:44 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

No one said that. Fail.

What does this comment even mean?

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Mediocre teams who have no chance at winning a title are not giving up their high level prospects for 35+ year old veterans.
I think that the teams most heavily involved will be the ones that Pierce would put over the top. OKC, LAC, San Antonio, Memphis, Indiana.

Agreed on both counts. The one trade Lowe puts forth with a contending team (LAC) is, even by his admission, almost impossible salary-wise.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

I don't think the Milwaukee deal is so far gone, especially if they intend to keep him for the duration of his contract.

Really? Henson has been playing great lately, and I don't see Milwaukee giving up someone like Sanders for Pierce.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
No one said that. Fail.

Your posts per day is impressive.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

No one said that. Fail.

Some one did "say" that.  If you read the comments above, you can confirm this.

No one needs to know what you think is a "fail."  You should find a friendlier place for Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.-y comments than this forum. 

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

They are not giving up Harrison Barnes either.