Author Topic: The Savior  (Read 5763 times)

Re: The Savior
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nerlens(and I get to call him that since he's my son's friend and has hung around the front of my house on occasion) will need time in the NBA. He will get absolutely outmuscled like nuts for his first few years.

But, his brothers put some bulk on them and I would expect he would also(his brothers play football at BC and NC State). The thing with Nerlens is he is a tough minded **** He'll take the beating and learn and get stronger and better.

Still, even being skinny and needing time to fill out, expect rebounds, blocks and steals to come his way in bunches. He is actually an extremely good perimeter defender, and elite at it against other bigs. He also has better hands than Anthony Davis and knocks away and causes more steals than Davis. He probably has better shot blocking instincts than Davis.

Davis just had a more NBA ready body.

I like how quickly Nerlens seems to be developing his post game. He jump hooks with both hands very well. He's learning to establish position early. He can dribble okay for a man of his size and take it to the basket right or left. He is about a perfect addition for a team with a bunch of sets calling for alley oop plays.

The kid has a bunch of Marcus Camby in him.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Why does his name remind me too much of Acie Earl?! Hope his game doesn't...

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Nerlens(and I get to call him that since he's my son's friend and has hung around the front of my house on occasion) will need time in the NBA. He will get absolutely outmuscled like nuts for his first few years.

But, his brothers put some bulk on them and I would expect he would also(his brothers play football at BC and NC State). The thing with Nerlens is he is a tough minded **** He'll take the beating and learn and get stronger and better.

Still, even being skinny and needing time to fill out, expect rebounds, blocks and steals to come his way in bunches. He is actually an extremely good perimeter defender, and elite at it against other bigs. He also has better hands than Anthony Davis and knocks away and causes more steals than Davis. He probably has better shot blocking instincts than Davis.

I like how quickly Nerlens seems to be developing his post game. He jump hooks with both hands very well. He's learning to establish position early. He can dribble okay for a man of his size and take it to the basket right or left. He is about a perfect addition for a team with a bunch of sets calling for alley oop plays.

Davis also had the weird growth pattern (so he played guard till HS) so his shot, handles, and passing are better than what I've seen of Noel.

Sadly you can't pin your hopes on one guy in the draft, lottery makes it such a crap shoot  >:(.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 05:02:51 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
And what happens if lady luck isnt on the Celtics' side?

Then what?

We´re the Celtics, lady luck is never really on our side.

However, tanking, I fear, is inevitable. We´re long past the point of repair.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Nerlens Noel‏@NerlensNoel3

I'm from Boston Massachusetts. Ima Celtics fan till i die #BelieveThat ! #CelticPride

(June 09 - 2012)

10.6 ppg 9.4 rpg 2.4 spg 4.3 bpg

We start tanking now, get some much due luck, get Noel to put next to Sully for the front court of the future

i'm unprepared to sign a guy with a high top fade.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Davis also had the weird growth pattern (so he played guard till HS) so his shot, handles, and passing are better than what I've seen of Noel.

Sadly you can't pin your hopes on one guy in the draft, lottery makes it such a crap shoot  >:(.
Absolutely true, faf. I would never get behind the ixea of purposely tanking to get one player. And though Nerlens might be the perfect fit for a team like the Celtics, there's probably one or two players that will be better all around better NBA players than Nerlens.

I still say Nerlens is a future NBA Defensive Player of the Year though. Maybe multiple.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:05:41 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

Then what?

Unless he and the Cats start playing better Noel might be better off staying in college for another year. As it stands right now Kentucky might not even make the playoffs.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 06:56:14 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
'No-wins for Nerlens' ?

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

Then what?

Unless he and the Cats start playing better Noel might be better off staying in college for another year. As it stands right now Kentucky might not even make the playoffs.

All the better! Maybe he'd drop a few spots.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I read somewhere that Noel was just trying the break the UK blocks record, and didn't care about winning.

Not sure I want a player of that mindset on my team.

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I read somewhere that Noel was just trying the break the UK blocks record, and didn't care about winning.

Unless that somewhere has a reliable source, I wouldn't worry about it.

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 07:12:43 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Unless that somewhere has a reliable source, I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Noel is an incredible talent.  I just don't want him to end up with the JaVale McGee syndrome, which is, "Hey look, the ball's in the air, and whether it's going up or coming down, I'm going to swat it because I can!"

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I read somewhere that Rondo was just trying to break assist records and didn't care about winning. 

I forget where, though.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

This is garbage speculation based on a pre-season quote Nerlens gave some magazine. In context, Nerlens stated he would go after the record as a way to motivate himself and keep himself focused on playing defense. This is something he thinks is extremely important to winning basketball games.

Nerlens has won everywhere he has gone and done it with defense first. He knows his strengths and weaknesses and focuses on making sure he doesn't sacrifice his defense to build his offensive repertoire. Obviously some people think offense is what makes basketball players great. He doesn't.

Nerlens is about winning. Thinking he is a stats oriented player based on that quote is ridiculous. If he was a stats type of kid he would be shooting a whole lot more than he does rather than being one of the best passers, from the center position no less, on his team.