Author Topic: Is a fact: this team play better without Rondo  (Read 27545 times)

Re: Is a fact: this team play better without Rondo
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No.

Let's not fool ourselves.

If anything, we are giving our opponents a different look without Rajon, but our window of doing anything into June of next year got ever so small with Rajon going down.

We still NEED RAJON...let's not fool ourselves. God forbid Danny trades him, we'd better be getting back CP3.

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
No.

If anything, we are giving our opponents a different look without Rajon, but our window of doing anything into June of next year got ever so small with Rajon going down.

We still NEED RAJON...let's not fool ourselves. God forbid Danny trades him, we'd better be getting back CP3.

Rondo is immensely talented. However, sometimes a player for all his talent brings down a team. I think Rondo needs to adjust his game for the overall betterment of our team.

I don't think they need CP3 either. Can you imagine how our offense would look if we traded Rondo for Curry? We would still have the same motion offense, but Curry's shooting would create even more spacing. He and KG on high pick and rolls/pops would be devastating.

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
No.

Rondo is immensely talented. However, sometimes a player for all his talent brings down a team. I think Rondo needs to adjust his game for the overall betterment of our team.

I don't think they need CP3 either. Can you imagine how our offense would look if we traded Rondo for Curry? We would still have the same motion offense, but Curry's shooting would create even more spacing. He and KG on high pick and rolls/pops would be devastating.

Well, if that is how you think, then I respect that.

But as for me - AT THE VERY LEAST - Rajon Rondo should take to heart that this team needs him - once he returns - to get the ball out of his hands more - let Pierce facilitate some...even KG is one of the best passing Bigs of all time.

I am hoping/expecting this team to step up collectively once the playoffs start.....after all, we will SORELY MISS Playoff Rajon Rondo.

And No - I don't want Steph Curry.

He is unproven, among other things.

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
No.

But as for me - AT THE VERY LEAST - Rajon Rondo should take to heart that this team needs him - once he returns - to get the ball out of his hands more - let Pierce facilitate some...even KG is one of the best passing Bigs of all time.

I am hoping/expecting this team to step up collectively once the playoffs start.....after all, we will SORELY MISS Playoff Rajon Rondo.

I agree with you on many things, but not about Curry. The guy is averaging 20 PPG (45% from 3's) and is still only 24.

Getting off-topic, but here is Kenny Smith, Greg Anthony, and Shaq talking about Curry's shooting ability and where he ranks in the NBA.

Starts at 0:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48JYtZGToQA

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
No.

I agree with you on many things, but not about Curry. The guy is averaging 20 PPG (45% from 3's) and is still only 24.

Getting off-topic, but here is Kenny Smith, Greg Anthony, and Shaq talking about Curry's shooting ability and where he ranks in the NBA.

Starts at 0:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48JYtZGToQA

The vid is all fine and dandy, but BOS could very well increase their winning streak to 20 games and I'd STILL not trade Rajon Rondo for Steph Curry.

Rajon Rondo is proven...he's stepped up his game in the playoffs....he's been to TWO Finals, winning one...he's become a better shooter.

I have no idea how Steph Curry would react in playoff situations....with LeBron staring him down...with Wade in his face...all I DO know, is THIS:

Steph Curry's "Elite Shooting" is Fool's Gold in the face of adversity.

I'll take Rajon Rondo, please.

« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2013, 11:40:09 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
No.

We still NEED RAJON.

Maybe you need Rondo to clean your home or something?!

« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
No.

We still NEED RAJON.

Whoa low blow man. Rondo has been and will be a Beast for the Celtics. Past performances dictate it. People tend to forget the one armed rondo playing the heat, or the Rondo playing with a torn ACL. let's not kid our selves into thinking that we do not need him. This team struggles to close out 4th Quarters because of a lack in stability at the point. People say that he turns it on only when he feels like it, but the SYSTEM (DOC'S SYSTEM) DICTATES THAT THE BALL BE ON HIS HANDS TO EXECUTE PLAYS. Now that he is out, Doc has no option but to go freestyle.

When Rondo comes back the Celtics will be unstoppable. Rondo has been adept at the freeflow style of playing. He wanted to run in prior seasons. Now the team is running. We are running not because we are without him but rather because Doc has no option but to execute freestyle.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
No.

We still NEED RAJON.

Whoa low blow man. Rondo has been and will be a Beast for the Celtics. Past performances dictate it. People tend to forget the one armed rondo playing the heat, or the Rondo playing with a torn ACL. let's not kid our selves into thinking that we do not need him. This team struggles to close out 4th Quarters because of a lack in stability at the point. People say that he turns it on only when he feels like it, but the SYSTEM (DOC'S SYSTEM) DICTATES THAT THE BALL BE ON HIS HANDS TO EXECUTE PLAYS. Now that he is out, Doc has no option but to go freestyle.

When Rondo comes back the Celtics will be unstoppable. Rondo has been adept at the freeflow style of playing. He wanted to run in prior seasons. Now the team is running. We are running not because we are without him but rather because Doc has no option but to execute freestyle.

But........we were playing sub 500 ball with him.....soo....why weren't we unstoppable then? Its not a coincidence the celtics are playing their best ball of the year the very second rondo goes down.

« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No.

We still NEED RAJON.

Call me crazy, but I'd say we have struggles to close out reg season games this year when we HAVE had him.

We've won multiple overtime games over the last couple of weeks, closing out games without Rondo doesn't appear to be that big an issue...

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2013, 12:56:09 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
No.

We still NEED RAJON.

Call me crazy, but I'd say we have struggles to close out reg season games this year when we HAVE had him.

We've won multiple overtime games over the last couple of weeks, closing out games without Rondo doesn't appear to be that big an issue...

Clippers and nuggets game come to my mind . . .
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
face it...Rondo... for all,his,assets may not be the right guy for this team, with its,present make up of players.

Easier to trade Rondo, than to trade off half the team that does play team ball,and share .

Heal him up and trade him for a Nice big  who can play the 5

« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2013, 02:13:43 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
face it...Rondo... for all,his,assets may not be the right guy for this team, with its,present make up of players.

Easier to trade Rondo, than to trade off half the team that does play team ball,and share .

rondo, according to ESPN, is the 12th best player in the league. Why would you trade the 12th best player in the game, whom is on a long-term bargain of a contract? You build around this player to maximize their abilities. He is an x-factor player, a player whom can score a triple double on demand and is scared of noone.

« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

rondo, according to ESPN, is the 12th best player in the league. Why would you trade the 12th best player in the game, whom is on a long-term bargain of a contract? You build around this player to maximize their abilities. He is an x-factor player, a player whom can score a triple double on demand and is scared of noone.

You lost me at according to ESPN.

Don't build your franchise around a PG. Unless his name is Magic, he isn't leading you to a title. Payton, Kidd, Nash, etc. could never do it. Big men and unbelievable scorers are who you build around. Rondo is 6 feet tall and barely shoots 60% from the free throw line. He is neither.

He is a fun and exciting player and one of the best at his position. He is not a franchise player, he is not the most important player on this team, and he is proving to not be as good a fit for this roster as we wanted to believe. Even if he is the 12th best player per ESPN, maybe the 28th best player would make our team better than Rondo can. It's all about chemistry and fit.

And I am sure most GM's would not give equal value because they know the C's offense caters to him and inflates his numbers. No way he averages 11+ APG on any other team (contender or otherwise) or shoots such a good percentage if defenses actually focus on him for once.

If the days of Rondo dominating the ball are over and he will never average 11 APG again, what is so special about a 12/7/4 PG who gambles on defense and can't shoot?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2013, 03:17:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You lost me at according to ESPN.

Don't build your franchise around a PG. Unless his name is Magic, he isn't leading you to a title. Payton, Kidd, Nash, etc. could never do it. Big men and unbelievable scorers are who you build around. Rondo is 6 feet tall and barely shoots 60% from the free throw line. He is neither.

He is a fun and exciting player and one of the best at his position. He is not a franchise player, he is not the most important player on this team, and he is proving to not be as good a fit for this roster as we wanted to believe. Even if he is the 12th best player per ESPN, maybe the 28th best player would make our team better than Rondo can. It's all about chemistry and fit.

And I am sure most GM's would not give equal value because they know the C's offense caters to him and inflates his numbers. No way he averages 11+ APG on any other team (contender or otherwise) or shoots such a good percentage if defenses actually focus on him for once.

If the days of Rondo dominating the ball are over and he will never average 11 APG again, what is so special about a 12/7/4 PG who gambles on defense and can't shoot?
I love the EFF stat.  If we're looking purely at statistics, Rondo was putting up the 17th best stats in the league.   He was having his best season ever... but we're starting to realize that his stats are slightly inflated due to the team's constricted style of play.  It's pretty evident that we're most successful sharing the ball and letting our many scorers create.  The days of Rondo controlling the ball constantly are probably over.  Steve Nash was able to do it, because Steve Nash was arguably the best shooter in the league.  Rondo will need to adapt... and with that means a drop in his stats.  He's still an allstar player, but this team is stacked with guards that play best when they get a chance to create for themselves.  If they want to trade all of them for pure shooters like JJ Reddick, Rondo might be able to continue racking up the assists.

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2013, 06:34:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We looked great down the stretch when we could not score in the 4th.  I think had Rondo been playing there would have not been any overtime and we'd won straight up.   Lucky for us we gutted it out and won despite ourselves.