Author Topic: Is a fact: this team play better without Rondo  (Read 27557 times)

Re: Is a fact: this team play better without Rondo
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
Folks. The way that Rondo plays in both offensive or defensive, does not help a lot a team like Cs where the biggest asset always is the power of the group. Is not a coincidence that Cs wins and play better more often, when Rondo does not play. I gave you examples of wins Vs NYK and HEAT. This team from 2008 did not have superstar players like Koby or Lebron, but this team had excellent players to join a great power of the grout. In other hand, there is a contradiction:  Doc is a great defensive coach, and Rondo is a great offensive PG. Nobody is trying to underrate the skills of Rondo. Is just underlining the fact that maybe he is not the right PG for this team (imagine to have Westbrook instead of Rondo)

2008 KG, Pierce and Ray were not upper echelon, superstar players? Really?

Jesus, the people on this board who kill Rondo would absolutely kill Westbrook.

And isolated wins are not a full story.

If Doc is calling iso's for PP in the 4th and they aren't working how this gets interpreted as Rondo stinks in the 4th is beyond me.

Also, look at the age of the players on this team, it isn't that maybe Rondo isn't the right PG for this team it is that maybe this team isn't right for Rondo.

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes, there's that as well. And Rondo's poor play on the road in the finals was mainly due to his spraining his ankle in the first half of game 3.
Eh, he was better at home that entire playoffs.

Home 38 MPG 12 PPG 42% FG 8.7 APG 5.3 RPG 2.4 SPG 1.5 TOPG
14 games

Away 28 MPG 8 PPG 38% FG 4.2 APG 2.7 RPG 0.9 SPG 2.1 TOPG
12 games

Rondo was still a "role player" type that year and it was his first playoffs.

True he was a "role player" that year, true he played better at home in those playoffs, but true nonetheless that his 5 points and 3 assists in 18 mpg in the finals was related to his spraining his ankle. He had 6 points and 3 rebounds in the first quarter of game 3 so it's likely he'd have easily topped those averages.

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Folks. The way that Rondo plays in both offensive or defensive, does not help a lot a team like Cs where the biggest asset always is the power of the group. Is not a coincidence that Cs wins and play better more often, when Rondo does not play. I gave you examples of wins Vs NYK and HEAT. This team from 2008 did not have superstar players like Koby or Lebron, but this team had excellent players to join a great power of the grout. In other hand, there is a contradiction:  Doc is a great defensive coach, and Rondo is a great offensive PG. Nobody is trying to underrate the skills of Rondo. Is just underlining the fact that maybe he is not the right PG for this team (imagine to have Westbrook instead of Rondo)

When you have a lot of players on your team that generally depend on getting passes when they're open to score (start your list with KG, Bradley, Bass and Wilcox) then a passing pg is the way to go. Having a player like Westbrook jack up 20 shots a game won't be pretty.

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »

Offline rsmrostov

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Especially I love the times when Rondo pretends to guard an opposing teams's PG, then stops and waits to get a rebound, in case the guy he COMPLETELY stopped guarding misses the shot.
He's a gambler and a coaster on D, and this team is all about TEAM D.

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Especially I love the times when Rondo pretends to guard an opposing teams's PG, then stops and waits to get a rebound, in case the guy he COMPLETELY stopped guarding misses the shot.

I like the times when he actually leaves the arena while the ball's in play in order to foreclose on a few houses and buys king-sized sugary drinks for overweight children.

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »

Offline rsmrostov

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
rajon, you? ;D ;D ;D

I like the times when he actually leaves the arena while the ball's in play in order to foreclose on a few houses and buys king-sized sugary drinks for overweight children.

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:40 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

Yes, there's that as well. And Rondo's poor play on the road in the finals was mainly due to his spraining his ankle in the first half of game 3.

14 games

12 games

True he was a "role player" that year, true he played better at home in those playoffs, but true nonetheless that his 5 points and 3 assists in 18 mpg in the finals was related to his spraining his ankle. He had 6 points and 3 rebounds in the first quarter of game 3 so it's likely he'd have easily topped those averages.

Come on man...How can you say Rondo was key player on 2008 playoffs... Remember Bibby in 7 games Vs Atlanta. Maybe the experience of Casell helped Rondo to have a good playoff
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:16:00 PM by eugen »

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

14 games

12 games

Come on man...How can you say Rondo was key player on 2008 playoffs... Remember Bibby in 7 games Vs Atlanta. Maybe the experience of Casell helped Rondo to have a good playoff

I remember Rondo killing Bibby in the playoffs. I don't remember anything special about game 7.

« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
Ok. 4 wins in a row. Better defense and offense. The team works in harmony much better...Cs have to trade Rondo for a big center.

« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Ok. 4 wins in a row. Better defense and offense. The team works in harmony much better...Cs have to trade Rondo for a big center.

why for  "a big center"? I thought centers are generally all big! Why not for "a good center"?

« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton

why for  "a big center"? I thought centers are generally all big! Why not for "a good center"?

Ok, might be a good one ;D

« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Wasn't Chuck Hayes listed at Centre for a while at 6'6" a few years back? :P

Bosh, Hortford, Big Baby (was listed as a F/C) - plenty of smallish centers out there!!

« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

2008 KG, Pierce and Ray were not upper echelon, superstar players? Really?

Jesus, the people on this board who kill Rondo would absolutely kill Westbrook.

And isolated wins are not a full story.

If Doc is calling iso's for PP in the 4th and they aren't working how this gets interpreted as Rondo stinks in the 4th is beyond me.

Also, look at the age of the players on this team, it isn't that maybe Rondo isn't the right PG for this team it is that maybe this team isn't right for Rondo.

Actually if you look at our average age, this team is reasonably young. 

Outside of four guys (KG, Pierce, Terry, Collins) I don't think we have asingle player over 30 - maybe Wilcox?  The other guys are all 30 or younger, and many of those are in their 20's.

Also if this team is too old for Rondo, how come the team pushed Miami to game 7 last year in the playoofs and dominated he second half of the season?

Rondo's game has gone downhill.  His individual numbers have gone up, but the more responsibility and power he's given by Doc the more cockly and arrogant he seems to get..and from what I've seen his play seems to suffer as a result. 

« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
I am re asking Rondos fanatics about 6 wins in a row...

Is a fact: this team play better without Rondo

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
“I like our drive, I like our spirit,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “We’re playing selfless and free.”

We're definitely playing harder. The ball is moving much more now. We have a true motion offense and the ball is really zipping offensively.

Rondo does sulk way too often and does dominate the ball offensively.

“During the six-game streak we’ve had a lot of lessons,” Rivers said. “You don’t sit on a lead with offense. You sit on a lead with defense.”

Rondo's defense has been lackluster for some time. I like the aggressiveness and pressure Lee, Bradley, and even Barbosa put on the perimeter.  Rondo would try to poke the ball from behind way too often, which would breakdown our defense.