Author Topic: Is a fact: this team play better without Rondo  (Read 27546 times)

Re: Is a fact: this team play better without Rondo
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Can the team play better without Rondo?  Well, they've largely sucked with him this season, so it wouldn't be that hard.

The bottom line is that no matter how good Boston plays now, we don't have that guy who can give a superstar performance when needed in the playoffs.  If the star on another team goes nuts, we don't have anyone to counterbalance that.

Mikie

This

Playoff Rondo will be missed. Unless Pierce turns back the clock five years the offense will take a step back in April.

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Look, playoff Rondo is superhuman. He is beastly, but regular season Rondo is not irreplaceable. And before someone says regular season doesn't matter, last time i checked, in order to get into the playoffs you have to play well in the regular season. With Rondo in the lineup, the C's were in danger of dropping out of the playoffs. Philly is about to get Bynum back from injury, and i'm pretty sure they are going to start winning some games as a result. This is the reason why i'm not a huge fan of Rondo. He basically takes half the season off. He coasts, and only shows up when he wants to. Just like Kobe or LeBron get the blame when their teams lose, Rondo should get the blame when his team is losing as well. A collective effort from Bradley, Lee, and Barbosa more than makes up for what regular season Rondo brought to the table.

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Look, playoff Rondo is superhuman. He is beastly, but regular season Rondo is not irreplaceable. And before someone says regular season doesn't matter, last time i checked, in order to get into the playoffs you have to play well in the regular season. With Rondo in the lineup, the C's were in danger of dropping out of the playoffs. Philly is about to get Bynum back from injury, and i'm pretty sure they are going to start winning some games as a result. This is the reason why i'm not a huge fan of Rondo. He basically takes half the season off. He coasts, and only shows up when he wants to. Just like Kobe or LeBron get the blame when their teams lose, Rondo should get the blame when his team is losing as well. A collective effort from Bradley, Lee, and Barbosa more than makes up for what regular season Rondo brought to the table.

You are right. They will get the 6th, 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs and likely lose in the first round. That is fine with me, but they are not winning a championship without Rajon Rondo.

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Another one of these foolish threads. 

I am sure some people are foolish getting into topics without reading even the title or understanding the title. So, grow up people and read more and post less
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:29:26 AM by eugen »

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Outside of Paul and Jet, NO ONE on this team can create their own shots.  Thats what Rondo does for this team.

Sure, we won againts Miami without him, but if yoy watch closely, there are times when the offense was completely out of sync, and thats where we need Rondo.

So no, fact is we are worse without him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2013, 11:40:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'll tell you what, I'll play along for just one brief moment.  Maybe the team will play better without Rondo for a period of time.

The one thing I've noticed this year is that most all of the players on this team seem to defer to Rondo, even KG/Pierce to a point.  They've become dependant on his exceptional play-making ability.  As a result, it seems the effectiveness of these other players is entirely tied to how well Rondo plays in any particular game. On the whole, it may, at times, actually be a detriment to the individual games of the rest of the roster in some aspects.

This is absolutely NOT Rondo's fault, however.  It is the fault of the coaching staff and the other players on the roster.  These are highly paid professionals.  It is inexcusable they rely so heavily on one player to "pick them up".

So, going forward, maybe now that the teams security blanket is gone, they'll be forced to sink or swim on thier own, and have to pick up their play.  It happens in sports all the time.  The "lead dog" goes down and the troops rally.

At the end of the day though, in basketball a team only can go as far as it's best player can take it.  Point blank, Rondo is this teams best player.  There will be title coming to Boston this year.  Which at the end of the day, is really all that matters here in Boston. Or at least that seems to be the company line.

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 12:15:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Outside of Paul and Jet, NO ONE on this team can create their own shots.  Thats what Rondo does for this team.

Sure, we won againts Miami without him, but if yoy watch closely, there are times when the offense was completely out of sync, and thats where we need Rondo.

KG can create his own shot, Lee can create his own shot, Green can create his own shot, Barbosa can create his own shot.

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

KG can create his own shot, Lee can create his own shot, Green can create his own shot, Barbosa can create his own shot.

KG's among the leaders in highest percentage of shots assisted year in and year out. He *can* create his own shot but he rarely does.

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 12:47:16 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

KG's among the leaders in highest percentage of shots assisted year in and year out. He *can* create his own shot but he rarely does.

A direct correlation of a player that moves the ball, and an offense that is centered on your young PG dominating the ball.

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 12:57:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

A direct correlation of a player that moves the ball, and an offense that is centered on your young PG dominating the ball.

Yes, I'm sure it's completely unrelated to any loss of quickness or explosiveness as he's aged.

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 12:58:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Yes, I'm sure it's completely unrelated to any loss of quickness or explosiveness as he's aged.

All are factors.

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

All are factors.

I guess we'll see if his AST% takes a drop over the rest of the season.

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
No.....he's arguably our best player, certainly the best under 30.  To play our best, we need him...

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2013, 01:23:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

All are factors.

I guess we'll see if his AST% takes a drop over the rest of the season.

I don't think it'll mean anything regardless. KG is usually used as pick-and-pop player, it gives him a shot that he makes a good accuracy, and a shot that is usually assisted.

He's a player that is notorious for playing unselfishly and within the system.

Now, if they change up the system through which they post him more, and they leave him on single coverage, he'll get more unassisted buckets. If the usual happens, and gets double/triple teamed and he passes the ball, then he won't get the shots... does that say anything about his inability to create his own shot? I don't think so.