Author Topic: IVERSON.  (Read 12663 times)

Re: IVERSON.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would bet my house & car A.I. could be a better fit in Jason Terry's role in our system & run circles around Terry as a player also right now. We have a gaping hole at PG-SG & in my eyes it wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a workout.
Hmmmm. I could always use another house and car....nah. Too easy. Like taking candy from a baby. ;) :D ;D

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline mikestar

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
Why the hell not? I have always wanted to see him in a Cs uni (bash away).

Wouldn't hurt the gate and would sell some jerseys & tees.

They are going nowhere this year as is so why not at least work him out?

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Some of the comments here are....interesting.

Would some of you stop being Celtics Fans if he does in fact end up in BOS?

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Prior to the Rondo injury, I would've totally shot this idea down.  At this point, I'd say it's worth a shot if Danny plans on riding this out and not blowing the team up. 

I'll fully admit that it's quite unlikely he works out.  However, he's 37, not 47, so it's not like there's zero chance he could do something.  Nash and Hill are older than him, Ray is the same age, and KG and PP aren't far behind. 

At this point, what's the harm?  If there's even a 1% chance we can catch lightning in a bottle and make some sort of run, I say it's worth a shot.  What have we got to lose at this point? 

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Ain't noth'n t' lose, e prolly ain't gettin' Od'n eh'more so get 'em 'fo' they gone fo' good. Sign Iv'son!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
lol...for a man who made David Stern a LOT of money in the early 2000's....Allen Iverson seems to take a LOT of flack.

Some of it is his own doing....others? Not so much.

All I know is that The Legendary Red Auerbach once coveted this man. And I'd bet that if Red were alive today, he'd STILL covet Allen Iverson.

I bet that man has a chip on his shoulder the size of Mount Everest by now.

Red was always about guys with something to prove...he could make someone like Iverson work. Iverson supposedly did everything he asked of him when Red coached the All-Star game in the early 2000's.

And what did AI say after the game?

"It was an honor to play for you."

I have just about nothing in common with AI...don't even know the man.

But I'd absolutely LOVE for him to go out a Winner.

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Iverson is not a big enough man to drive me away from my Celtics.  I would, however, advise my friends on the Blog to invest in companies that manufacture aspirin.

Add Howard to that, and I might have to consider...  :'(
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:24 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I'd still be a fan of the Celtics. But I would NEVER pull for that jerk. And I couldn't watch them as long as that trash ball played for them.

It was hard enough watching Shaq and Rasheed wallace on the team for  a year.

I'd rather have Bill Laimbeer or Kobe on the Celtics then AI. And that's saying something!
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Iverson is not a big enough man to drive me away from my Celtics.  I would, however, advise my friends on the Blog to invest in companies that manufacture aspirin.

Add Howard to that, and I might have to consider...  :'(

Why the aspirin?

You think AI would be a headache for us?

Stephon Marbury wasn't. His last days as an NBA player were valiantly served helping us in the playoffs in 08-09.

Imagine that - Marbury was perhaps a KG or Leon Powe injury away from his 1st championship.

The vast majority of "Interesting Players" that have come through BOS over the years have panned out...Sheed...Marbury...Shaq..(I mentioned Shaq because there were a few here who questioned his weight and health).

But Shaq played his tail off for the Boston Celtics - literally. Until he couldn't play anymore.

Why not AI?

I'd trust Danny and Doc if this happened.

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I'd still be a fan of the Celtics. But I would NEVER pull for that jerk. And I couldn't watch them as long as that trash ball played for them.

It was hard enough watching Shaq and Rasheed wallace on the team for  a year.

I'd rather have Bill Laimbeer or Kobe on the Celtics then AI. And that's saying something!

And the funny thing with Bill Laimbeer is that - to my knowledge - NONE of his former teammates have had ANY thing bad to say about him...Isiah, Dumars, Mahorn, Salley....they seemed to love him.

I hated Laimbeer's physical play from time to time - especially vs BOS. But his teammates LOVED him.

Shaq? He only manned the middle during perhaps BOS's best run over the last few years....we were like 40-11 at one time with him, and looked absolutely unbeatable.

Sheed? He seemed to be disinterested in the reg season, but he, too - played his tail off in the playoffs, and in that memorable game 7 in LA he played valiantly.

I have no doubt that AI would help us if Danny and Doc chose that route.

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
I was naming players that I can't stand. Even have 100% pure sports hate for.
And AI is just about at the top of that list. I can't stand him so much that even
if he won us a ring I'm not sure I could watch.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
And AI is just about at the top of that list. I can't stand him so much that even

Why the hate?

Just curious.

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

obviously not....don't see any point in signing him though

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
AI is better at this point and 37, he's better than 90% of guards in the league. If Nash, Hill, Stackhouse are in the league. Why not AI?
I think AI would be a great substitute for Rondo, Bradley,Terry and Lee, they aren't point guards, AI can to play 20-25 minutes easily and still he can to score 15 points and 5 assist, I'm sure.
Game and Nba need old schools and Allen Iverson.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney

Why the hate?

Just curious.
At 17 he was charged for hitting a woman in the head with a chair in a bowling alley fight. Classy
Didn't like his coach Chris Ford. So he missed practice, missed games for being "sick" without telling Ford and refused to come off the bench and wouldn't play.
He wanted to get into a VIP room at a club but someone was in there. So his bodyguard beat the ever loving stuffing out of the man. Sure, AI didn't do it himself. But he didn't stop his guy from doing it.
He was arrested for drugs and carrying a concealed weapon.
And lets not forget about "practice." If you can't work with your team and like Bird, Magic and MJ did even if you really don't need the practice yourself then you'll never be a champion. Oh, that's right....... he never was!

As great as AI was at putting a ball in a basket, as a person he was a scum bag from what I could see. And I'm not one to look past what people do off the court and like them just because they're good at basketball. Sure, I could find something bad about anyone including myself if I looked long and hard enough. But you don't have to look hard at all to see the problems with AI. He's known as a cancer for a reason. And current NBA teams don't want him for a reason too.
Peace through Tyranny