Author Topic: deep breath: ok, what do we look like next year?  (Read 1570 times)

Re: deep breath: ok, what do we look like next year?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
crazy idea time: what if KG and Pierce sit out the first half of the year and come back at the same time as Rondo?  basically the Roger Clemens plan times 2

insane?  maybe

Insane, Jeff.

I mean, look.  I understand the desire to keep running this thing back at all costs.  We don't want to let go of a good thing!

But what reason do we have to believe that next season will be all that different from this season, especially considering that Rondo will be spending pretty much the whole season working himself back into form?

I can understand why some people think it makes sense for the Celtics to just stick with the group they have this season and sort things out in the off-season.

But if by the start of next season Danny Ainge hasn't made some pretty drastic alterations to this roster to start majorly transitioning to the next era of Celtics basketball, then I think he should be canned.  Period.

Because I want nothing to do with a GM who holds onto the status quo for the sake of avoiding rebuilding, or even worse for the sake of continuing to sell tickets even though the team has no chance of really competing in the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Roy can I get an official ruling on what our cap situation would be like next year if KG and Pierce retire? I think we make a run at Josh Smith, if we have the cap space. Even though he isn't a five he can help protect the rim.
With everyone healthy next year
Rondo
Bradley
Green
Smith
Sullinger

Lee, Melo will contribute off the bench. I expect Bass and Terry to be moved.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
We knew this would come since 2007. Said then then window was 3 years big.

3 years after that, we're concerned because this SEEMS to be going downhill? How long do you want to hold on to old guys? I'm not sure KG retires, esp if we find some success during play offs. Of course, I expect KG and PP to turn up (if they can).

We are making a lot of assumptions. Putting a lot of stress on ourselves. No one knows anything and frankly, every time we try to bet on something, we are obviously mistaken.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Next season, there is a decent chance it looks much like this season's team after the return of Bradley, plus the best big the team can get with the MLE, with better team chemistry and understanding of roles on defense (if KG and PP don't retire).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Jeff, do you really think Melo could start next year in Maine? That seems crazy to me.
I took Perkins till this third year to get on the court.

To be fair, Perkins came straight out of High School and his body wasn't NBA caliber.  I understand Melo has only been playing basketball for 6+ years, but he did play two years of college ball and has an NBA body right now.  He is also far more athletic than Perk is/was.  If we start to tank (unintentionally), Melo should see 15-20 minutes a night this year.