Author Topic: What series to watch after The Sopranos  (Read 12834 times)

Re: What series to watch after The Sopranos
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Deadwood or Homeland.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Dexter and Homeland.

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'd echo the thoughts of others: The Wire.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'll mention two that haven't been mentioned yet. (I don't think.)

Californication and Shameless, both on Showtime.

Californication is clever with some great quick thinking dialogue.  I think that it's in it 7th or so season, and man is it funny. You can watch it from the first episode which will either hook you for the seven seasons or turn you off completely. Very Funny Show. Duchovny, whom I never liked, is phenomenal.

Shameless is one of those shows that you are almost embarrassed to watch, but many of the actions of the characters are or should be shame evoking, but not to them, hence shameless. Also. that's how I feel when watching it. Shameless maybe when I should be ashamed.

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Californication is clever with some great quick thinking dialogue.  I think that it's in it 7th or so season, and man is it funny. You can watch it from the first episode which will either hook you for the seven seasons or turn you off completely. Very Funny Show. Duchovny, whom I never liked, is phenomenal.

Shameless is one of those shows that you are almost embarrassed to watch, but many of the actions of the characters are or should be shame evoking, but not to them, hence shameless. Also. that's how I feel when watching it. Shameless maybe when I should be ashamed.
the wife and I absolutely love Shameless.  It is a great show about a poor dysfunctional family and their shenanigans.  It really is very well done, but William H. Macy has absolutely no shame and is just not likeable at all, which detracts a bit from the series.  If there was just a hint of redeeming quality in him, it would really add to the show.  You can overlook much of the stuff the kids do, but he should just no better and doesn't, which is a bit of a turn off.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
If you're looking for another instance of "great show, bad ending," try LOST.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Great replies, keep it going :)!!

Already seen Lost, liked the first 3/4 seasons, rest was horrible and I quited at 5 or sth. Also looking forward to s3 of GoT!

The Wire or Breaking bad are hopefully gonna live up to the expectations :D

Indeed heard some cool things about Californication, gonna check out Homelands and Shameless in some reviews....

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

the wife and I absolutely love Shameless.  It is a great show about a poor dysfunctional family and their shenanigans.  It really is very well done, but William H. Macy has absolutely no shame and is just not likeable at all, which detracts a bit from the series.  If there was just a hint of redeeming quality in him, it would really add to the show.  You can overlook much of the stuff the kids do, but he should just no better and doesn't, which is a bit of a turn off.

It's funny, I never really liked Macy as an actor, even though some of the movies he has been in (Fargo, etc.) I really liked, so it's easy for me to not like the despicable character he plays in Shameless. I think that makes me like the series even more, because he always seems to get his come-uppance, one way or the other in the show.

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
The First Three Seasons of the West Wing before all of the above.

Don't listen to crazy people, its not better than The Wire. When people get all giddy about Homeland or Breaking Bad, they're actually just remembering what it felt like to watch The Wire.

You are right ..there is The Wire ..and then the rest.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'd highly recommend Battlestar Galactica. It's basically Lost + The West Wing + i Robot. The first couple episodes (including the mini series that precedes it - required viewing) are a little cheesy, but after 4 episodes it really comes into its own. Has a pretty controversial ending, like Lost, but the first 3 seasons are outstanding. Most underrated series of the last decade, for sure.

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm just surprised only one person besides myself has mentioned The Shield, it's an amazing series, and the ending is awesome I thought. Vic Mac is one of the best characters you'll come across on TV.

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Thanks! Also heard some good things about Entourage! TP!

They lied to you. Lied right to your face.

Unless they were talking about the last two seasons, in which case, they told you the truth.

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

It's funny, I never really liked Macy as an actor, even though some of the movies he has been in (Fargo, etc.) I really liked, so it's easy for me to not like the despicable character he plays in Shameless. I think that makes me like the series even more, because he always seems to get his come-uppance, one way or the other in the show.

I have only watched the British version, and only a few of the American one (was a virtual shot for shot remake from what I saw), and your assessment is spot on. He's despicable, weak, selfish, and lacking any self-awareness. But he just keeps getting beaten down, you almost have to atl east admire his ability to get up again.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A new show Im wading into: 'Ripper Street'

It's a period piece, set in late 1800s London, excellent acting, excellent characters, facile plots week to week but building towards something bigger (specifically, the return of Jack The Ripper). It's entertaining, not great, but worth watching.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 10:57:11 PM »

Offline daveh51292

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Surprised no one has mentioned Mad Men. One of my favorites along with Breaking Bad.