Author Topic: What series to watch after The Sopranos  (Read 12835 times)

Re: What series to watch after The Sopranos
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
The Wire.

Hands down.  It is the greatest tv show of all-time.  It is mature, intelligent, realistic (without sacrificing story or tension), and has some of the best characters and dialogue to ever be created for television.

Also, it's best to watch shows that are completed, so as not to waste endless hours watching season upon season of a show that is eventually cancelled before being wrapped-up or destroyed creatively by focus groups or exiting talent.

You can wait for Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones and Homeland and Boardwalk Empire.  Breaking Bad is wrapping up soon, and then you can watch the entire show straight through.  It's pretty good.  Homeland has two good seasons, but it is getting a bit over-the-top and silly, and who knows where it will go in season 3.

Sons of Anarchy (which I just gave up on!) and Dexter (which my wife likes) are too soap opera-y.  If you like unrealistic shows with silly, cartoonish amounts of violence and corny love stories, then you can start one of those.  But, they're more campy than they are good.

The only show I currently watch live (as in each week) is The Walking Dead, and as silly as it has gotten, I still love zombies and apocalypses.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
The Wire.  The first couple episodes are kind of slow, but give it a shot.  It gets amazing.
do it

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
First off the Sopranos is a garbage.  Its dumbed down entertainment for people who cannot get enough of the exact same story over and over and over again.

whats also funny is that the director of the Sopranos pretty much threw his fan base under the bus for following this decade long story about nothing and they cheered for him, as he is insulting them, after the last episode.  Why do you think the ending was so bad?

However in hopes people will watch decent shows, probably the best shows on TV that you need to watch:

The Wire
Deadwood
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead

The Wire v. The Sopranos is a 1 v. 16 seed match up in the Tourney.   The Wire does not glorify violence or murder, its a realistic depiction of crime in Baltimore.  Sopranos is a cotton candy show, "say hello to my little friend" rip off, that makes you want to puke after 3 shows of the exact same characters and plot line from every other gangster film you ever saw.  OMG is someone a snitch????

The Wire hired great character actors for the multitude of important roles that needed someone with talent v. a look.  Sopranos is populated by "ex-mafia" people who look the part and can never get another gig that does not involve the Italian Mafia ever again, mainly bc they are terrible actors.  You see these has beens all over entertainment now, trying desperately to mooch a little more off their mafia characters.  Its pathetic.

Please watch The Wire, see what a real director/writer can do with a story.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I was into Boardwalk Seasons 1 and 2, lost interest this year.

The only thing I watch religiously is Always Sunny. They had a great season this year after what I thought was a pretty disappointing one last year.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
First off the Sopranos is a garbage.  Its dumbed down entertainment for people who cannot get enough of the exact same story over and over and over again.

Alright, Yeah I believe The Wire is fantastic that's why I actually wanted to start it again. But for me Sopranos was absolutely great, great sense of humor, for me it's not all the time the same story, it's not very unrealistic either and it's not like Scarface.

Then end of the sopranos is the best end i've seen so far in any series!

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If you like Tony Soprano, you need some Vick Mackey and Al Swearengen in your life.

The Shield
Deadwood
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Alright, Yeah I believe The Wire is fantastic that's why I actually wanted to start it again. But for me Sopranos was absolutely great, great sense of humor, for me it's not all the time the same story, it's not very unrealistic either and it's not like Scarface.

Then end of the sopranos is the best end i've seen so far in any series!

And I agree with you, the Sopranos is a great show.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Another entertaining comedy that for some reason doesn't get old for me is Trailer Park Boys

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The Wire was the best TV series ever.  I'm also a fan of Breaking Bad.  Lately I've been watching Shameless.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's well done and interesting. I had high hopes for Boardwalk Empire, which started well, lagged a bit, but this last season was good. 

I'm looking forward to breaking bad starting up again.   

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 12:01:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
All good shows, or some that may interest you (considering your list) with different flavors:

The Shield
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Rome
Deadwood
Justified
The Walking Dead
Homeland
Dexter
Sons of Anarchy
Rescue Me
Fringe
Suits
Battlestar Galactica
House
Sherlock
Entourage
Boardwalk Empire
Eastbound and Down
Damages
Dollhouse
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Firefly + Serenity movie
The 4400
Carnivale
Game of Thrones
Six Feet Under
Spartacus
Oz
True Blood
The West Wing
Weeds
Friday Night Lights
Alias

See you in 4 years :) Let me know if you want me to expand on any of the choices above.

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Thanks! Also heard some good things about Entourage! TP!

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 12:20:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

They lied to you. Lied right to your face.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
The Wire>>Breaking Bad (and everything else)

But, Justified is I think the most fun 'gritty' show on right now. I could wax philosophical about how much I love that show for hours.

If you like watching people curse like sailors and beat the crap out of each other (as does every red-blooded American), and you enjoy complex morally ambiguous characters, HBO's Deadwood is a personal favorite for me.

HBO's Rome is pretty awesome also, especially in the first season.

My friends love Spartacus, personally I think its over-done and stupid.

Ummm...

Community is funnier than anything out there, and its about to come 'back on' in Feb, all 3 seasons are available on Hulu.
BOOOOOOOO!
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 01:18:09 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Very funny!!!

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »

Offline reelbig4

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Breaking Bad is the best series since the Sopranos