Author Topic: Flip Saunders (Celtics Advisor) doesn't expect any big moves  (Read 5545 times)

Re: Flip Saunders (Celtics Advisor) doesn't expect any big moves
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I saw some Lowry chatter out there as well, which made no sense to me. Raptors paid a lottery pick for him and the C's aren't going to pay anywhere near that price for another PG when they'd still have Rondo on the roster.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 08:58:23 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Danny to mouthpiece "put it out that we're not making any moves so we can try to spin this and get some leverage back."
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Danny to mouthpiece "put it out that we're not making any moves so we can try to spin this and get some leverage back."
Yeah Danny is going to be the one getting lowballed like crazy now.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 09:13:32 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Spin control.

Celtics are going to give it a go with this team to see what it can do.

The Celtics are not going to panic and overpay for a Rondo replacement or sell good players at pennies for the dollar. 

What do we expect to be coming from the different members of the Celtics camp?   "We are done.  We have to make big moves not matter the cost."

I'm glad they won't invest in a Rondo replacement.

But if they won't trade their good players at pennies for the dollar they sound like that infamous lady of the night now just haggling over price...

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Id just roll with what we've got.

Unless KG or Pierce truly want out.

Otherwise we aren't getting much for them and id rather a no pressure under dog team trying to play spoiler than some low tier prospects.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Spin control.

Celtics are going to give it a go with this team to see what it can do.

The Celtics are not going to panic and overpay for a Rondo replacement or sell good players at pennies for the dollar. 

What do we expect to be coming from the different members of the Celtics camp?   "We are done.  We have to make big moves not matter the cost."

I'm glad they won't invest in a Rondo replacement.

But if they won't trade their good players at pennies for the dollar they sound like that infamous lady of the night now just haggling over price...

No, they are being a smart franchise knowing these players are not going to just disappear. 

Let other teams try and find ways to get them.  The Celtics should not be looking to drop them. 

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Losing RR is terrible, but I agree there is no reason to fill with another plug-in PG who doesn't know the plays.

Bradley should start at PG.
Barbosa/Lee/sign Dooling.

all set.

also, I don't understand the willingness of so many
"fans" here to want to trade the Captain at all.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah Danny is going to be the one getting lowballed like crazy now.

This is why I don't expect any moves.

I think Danny would need to be blown away to move Pierce or KG, just for sentimental (and ticket selling) reasons.  And with Rondo out, you lose perhaps your best trade chip.

You also lose the motivation to make a significant move with your secondary players to try to go for a championship this year, since without Rondo, a championship is almost certainly out of reach.  Plus, without Rondo, guys like Green, and Lee become so much more important to the team, because you are going to count on them to step up their games if you are going to make noise, so they aren't nearly as disposable as they were before. 

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I could see him flipping a role player or two though, as much as they might be asked to do more Danny wont' be shy about moving them.

Shockingly the league thinks that without Rondo, Sullinger is now our best trade asset. So yeah, we're not trading our one big who's shown he can play some.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I hope no deals are made.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 09:35:21 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Would Toronto trade Lowry for Rondo with injury? I would do that deal.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeah I saw some Lowry chatter out there as well, which made no sense to me. Raptors paid a lottery pick for him and the C's aren't going to pay anywhere near that price for another PG when they'd still have Rondo on the roster.

I think that Toronto really screwed the pooch here, because Lowry's trade value has to be bottoming out at this point.

They're not going to get the same value back as they sent out, but I think the Celtics make an ideal trading partner.

Boston Trades: Brandon Bass, 2013 1st round draft pick, 2014 2nd round draft pick
Toronto Trades: Kyle Lowry

Boston starts Lowry, Lowry plays well, Boston flips Lowry or Rondo at the end of the season for future assets.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Would Toronto trade Lowry for Rondo with injury? I would do that deal.
Probably not.

I wouldn't do it from either teams perspective.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think that Toronto really screwed the pooch here, because Lowry's trade value has to be bottoming out at this point.

They're not going to get the same value back as they sent out, but I think the Celtics make an ideal trading partner.

Boston Trades: Brandon Bass, 2013 1st round draft pick, 2014 2nd round draft pick

Boston starts Lowry, Lowry plays well, Boston flips Lowry or Rondo at the end of the season for future assets.
No way the C's don't lottery protect that pick in a relatively strong way.

Even with Lowry on board there is still a strong chance the team ends up with ping pong balls. If they do the Bulls have shown how franchise changing that can be.

Additionally "flipping" Lowry or Rondo when teams know you need to make a move with one of them isn't easy or necessarily profitable compared to the 2013 pick.

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If Toronto would take that for Lowry I think that's a great deal for us.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19