Author Topic: Flip Saunders (Celtics Advisor) doesn't expect any big moves  (Read 5546 times)

Flip Saunders (Celtics Advisor) doesn't expect any big moves
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He was just on weei and said he doesn't think the c's plan on making any big changes. He said they will just keep the team together and hope for the best. Says they can still make moves in the off-season if need be .

He would seem to be in the know since he works for the organization , but to me PP is a very moveable piece that could get backat least a pick and expiring contract. No way the c's pick up his 16 mil option next year anyways , so IMO this is PP's last season with the club .

Hope Flip is wrong about this one ....

Re: Flip Saunders (Celtics Advisor) doesn't expect any big moves
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He might be in the know, but I don't think he'd have authority to disclose Danny's plans.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the plan truly is just to pack it in for the season and wait until the off-season to make significant moves, we can pretty much just hit the snooze button on the rest of the season / playoffs and wake up for the draft.  The team may still be competitive in the regular season, but no Rondo in the playoffs means they are toast. 

How many playoffs series would they have won in the past few seasons without Rondo?  Seriously?

I think the last one is probably the Miami series in the first round in 2010.  Maybe the Knicks in 2011, too.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:36:28 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
He was just on weei and said he doesn't think the c's plan on making any big changes. He said they will just keep the team together and hope for the best. Says they can still make moves in the off-season if need be .

He would seem to be in the know since he works for the organization , but to me PP is a very moveable piece that could get backat least a pick and expiring contract. No way the c's pick up his 16 mil option next year anyways , so IMO this is PP's last season with the club .

Why wouldnt they pick up his option? Make a new less money deal?

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If the plan truly is just to pack it in for the season and wait until the off-season to make significant moves, we can pretty much just hit the snooze button on the rest of the season / playoffs and wake up for the draft.  The team may still be competitive in the regular season, but no Rondo in the playoffs means they are toast. 

How many playoffs series would they have won in the past few seasons without Rondo?  Seriously?

I think the last one is probably the Miami series in the first round in 2010.  Maybe the Knicks in 2011, too.

The difference is that previously we didn't have an assemble of Terry, Lee, Barbosa behind Rondo to fill in.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If we cut Pierce, we won't be able to use Bird Rights to re-sign him, so he'd basically be gone.

The Celts have to pay him $5 million regardless, so it comes down to whether he's worth $10 million to have him play.  I've got to think that he is.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

If we cut Pierce, we won't be able to use Bird Rights to re-sign him, so he'd basically be gone.

The Celts have to pay him $5 million regardless, so it comes down to whether he's worth $10 million to have him play.  I've got to think that he is.

I'm not sure if that's true, correct me if I'm wrong... this is only true if we renounce our rights, or he doesn't pass waivers, or he goes to another team.

As I understand it, we can turn down the option, and resign him to a new deal, no? While still retaining his Bird Rights.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
That's exactly what he's supposed to say.... He's an advisor, if says we are going to make all these moves then our selling price goes down... If all the frontoffices know this. If tthey think we are going to make a run with what we have other teams will know they are going to have to give us a reason. To make a move!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm not sure if that's true, correct me if I'm wrong... this is only true if we renounce our rights, and he doesn't pass waivers, or he goes to another team.

As I understand it, we can turn down the option, and resign him to a new deal, no? While still retaining his Bird Rights.
I believe we do have to waive him to get out of the non-guarenteed portion of his deal.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think Flip knows anything more than your average fan on the street about what Danny Ainge is planning to do with Rondo out. Heck, I'd be surprised if Danny even knew what he was going to do just yet.

I do agree with Flip though. I don't expect any big moves either.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 08:45:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm not sure if that's true, correct me if I'm wrong... this is only true if we renounce our rights, and he doesn't pass waivers, or he goes to another team.

Pierce doesn't have an option.  He has a $15.3 million contract, of which only $5 million is guaranteed if he's cut by July 1.  Therefore, to get out of the $10 million, we'd have to formally waive him.  Once waived, we lose his Bird rights.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Pierce doesn't have an option.  He has a $15.3 million contract, of which only $5 million is guaranteed if he's cut by July 1.  Therefore, to get out of the $10 million, we'd have to formally waive him.  Once waived, we lose his Bird rights.

No we don't. We don't lose Bird Rights by waiving a player. We lose a our rights if he doesn't pass waivers (since he goes to another team) or if he signs with another team after being waved.

Now, I don't know what rules are in place to re-acquire a player after being waived, but the gist of what I'm saying is that the act of waiving a player doesn't mean losing Bird Rights.

For example, we waived Joseph this year... as I understand it, we could've re-signed him again to a new contract soon after.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:55:42 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 08:50:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Flip knows anything more than your average fan on the street about what Danny Ainge is planning to do with Rondo out. Heck, I'd be surprised if Danny even knew what he was going to do just yet.

Yeah Danny has to be dealing with Doctors, media, and meeting with the team to try and plan at the moment.

It'll probably take a week or two before we start to hear more informed rumors from Boston's end.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Spin control.

Celtics are going to give it a go with this team to see what it can do.

The Celtics are not going to panic and overpay for a Rondo replacement or sell good players at pennies for the dollar. 

What do we expect to be coming from the different members of the Celtics camp?   "We are done.  We have to make big moves not matter the cost."

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I agree with this, I don't think Danny even knows what he wants to do yet.  How can he?  He hasn't seen the team play without Rondo yet.  He can speculate, but I hope he's smarter than to make a decision based on speculation.  I expect him to wait a few games, see what we have got here, then come up with some potential ideas for how to improve the franchise if necessary.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur