Poll

As A Boston Celtics Fans Would You Do

Panic We Can't Make It
5 (16.7%)
Don't Panic We Can Make It
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: March 09, 2013, 06:10:02 AM

Author Topic: Panic Or Don't Panic  (Read 9388 times)

Re: Panic Or Don't Panic
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
If you panic, you've already lost before you even began, regardless of your strategy going forward.
Buy low, sell high. This would be a very dangerous time for Danny to be trading away assets. Rondo's injury, I think, made it less likely that Danny will trade away Pierce at the deadline. A minor deal for a center or point guard is all I think we'll see before the summer...and maybe not even that.

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
No reason to panic now, that time has came and went before Rondos injury.

Just regroup add or trade a player or two and see how it goes.

I'm curious to see how the team responds to adversity.  I think
They will step up as a team
It is highly doubtful that the C's will win the Championship, a bit less so today than before Rondo's injury, but not by much. Before Rondo's injury, I was in favor of cashing some chips for a quality C/PF and making a run. I don't think that will work now, panic trades will be counter productive, and "blowing it up" will be disaster.

Sure, if the team had a clear path at the Championship and needed that one more piece...go for it! Unfortunately, there is no clear path and there are too many missing pieces we'd need to acquire to make it work.

I think it's time to sit back, take a breath and play out the string. Evaluate and develop Sully, Bradley and Melo now, add more assets this summer. Hope that KG sticks around, hope Pierce does too!

Young players need vets like Pierce and KG around to help them develop the right kind of habits. One of the reasons "blow it up" and rebuild from scratch seldom works is those teams don't have the proper culture in which you develop "winners." You need veterans like PP and KG, or a *lot* of time for the young guys to turn into veterans. Winners don't tank and they don't quit, they fight it out to the end.

Danny also needs time to evaluate Sully, Bradley, Green, Lee and Melo. Some of them might be trade assets, some of them might be keepers, and if we get really lucky one of them might be more than that. When it comes to Green and Lee, Dannye might already know, but personally, I think the jury is still out on both of them because they have never been key pieces in winning cultures. IAC, Danny, certainly needs time to figure out just how good Bradley, Sullinger and Melo can be. Don't trade them until he knows...and can sell high! We want to bring 2 or 3 stars here and they don't come cheap.

So, the C's have assets evaluate and develop. They have a culture to maintain and teach. They need to play it out like they will win it all...right down to the final gasp.

No panic trades, no "blowing it up."

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
I fall in the Don't Panic majority... See my fanpost on the home pages. I still think we need big man help but if Jason Collins and Chris Wilcox can help us there even that goes away.

Our new team will emerge a little quicker now.
Oh, yeah! The C's need a C! No question about that. I seriously doubt Collins or Wilcox can help much. I want Melo to get a chance, but he's probably not going to until next year. I'd love for the Celtics to find a good Center, young preferably, but Gasol at 32 would do for now. Problem is, I doubt Danny can get one in here without overpaying, and overpaying could set the rebuild (and we're already in rebuild mode, folks) back years.

About Melo and the "Doc won't play rookies" meme. Doc *will* play rookies when they are capable of playing and helping, but he won't play them just because they are rookies. He is also loath to play more than one at a time. Remember, when we complained bitterly that he wouldn't play Big Al and Perk together? Remember when Delonte and Tony or Big Baby and Powe always seemed to be on the court...but very seldom together?  Doc seems to be very uncomfortable with more than one rookie on the court at a time. He wants to keep them surrounded by vets. It took 2 years for Bradley to start playing consistent minutes and another half season to break into the starting line up. From the start of this season he's played Sully and after half a season he's starting. Well, Fab wasn't ready and Sully was. Maybe by March Melo gets a call up, maybe he gets a few minutes here and there, maybe by next year he gets to be the one to prove he can play with the big boys.

Between now and then, and probably well past then, the C's need a center not named Collins or Wilcox.

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
   Personally I'd ask Pierce and Garnett how they'd like to finish their careers, on a also ran/potential lottery team or with a contender.

If they'd like to finish with a contender I'd try to make a deal that makes sense for the Celtic's and give them what they want.  They've both earned that.  I wouldn't give them away but I do believe a contender might give the C's some value in return for two guy who are likely to retire before Rondo is 100% healthy again.

If they say they want to finish their careers in Boston regardless of how it ends then keep them around.  Either way they'll always be Celtics and their numbers will one day be in the rafters.
I wouldn't! I want KG and Paul to stay on this team for this year and for next year, too. The C's need them as role models and mentors whether we're really competitive for a Championship of not. One of the things that kept the Celtics competitive for decades was the living links from Championship era to Championship era. I think that link was really broken when the deaths of Bias and Lewis, and that lead to many, many, years of the Celtics wandering in the wilderness of gosh-awful basketball.

Hey! Now we're got KG, Pierce and Rondo (maybe) to embody "the Celtics way."  We need them here to help carry that forward to the next era.

I'm telling you, the C's need KG and/or Pierce for another year or two to carry their legacy forward. I just don't think trading them for anybody other than proven clear "winners" is a good idea...and neither is going to return that player.

I don't think Danny, the player, got that. I think Red did. I hope Danny, the GM, has figured it out.

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
But for me, to be interesting I need the season to feel like it means something.  If the Celtics hadn't made the playoffs and won at least one series every season for the past 5 years, I could view just making the playoffs and being competitive in the first round and maybe, with some luck, sneaking into the second round as a worthy goal.  But I'm not that desperate to see the team play in the playoffs.

Right now I'm most excited to just get started on figuring out what this team is going to look like the next time they are really competitive.  I want to start building to that next group of Celtics stars. 

I see this team as still having a shot at being a legitimate contender next season if Rondo returns healthy and the team gets a solid big, either through free agency or the draft (or Fab Melo maturing).  This season becomes about trying to integrate the underachieving role players into Doc's system and making one final push in 2013-2014.

This team was built to be a dangerous veteran squad capable of overachieving in the playoffs for a couple of seasons, then offering the opportunity to rebuild through free agency in either the summer of 2014 or 2015, or blow it up if that isn't a possibility.  That hasn't really changed.  There's no way to speed it up and a panic move to radically change the roster at this point is more likely to prolong a rebuild than to move the team closer to a championship.

The one thing I would like is for the team to pluck a young D-League big who has a chance to be what Greg Smith is in Houston.  Henry Sims, perhaps?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If you panic, you've already lost before you even began, regardless of your strategy going forward.
Buy low, sell high. This would be a very dangerous time for Danny to be trading away assets. Rondo's injury, I think, made it less likely that Danny will trade away Pierce at the deadline. A minor deal for a center or point guard is all I think we'll see before the summer...and maybe not even that.
Right. The people who think that Ainge is more likely now than before to move Pierce and Garnett are letting their own emotional reactions as Rondo fans cloud their common sense.

It's not happening. Ainge runs a team. He doesn't focus on his love for one player.

With minor tweaks, perhaps, this is what we have going forward.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:19 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
Either Tracy Mcgraddy Or Someone Like Allen Iverson

No, no, no, no, no, no, no

how about timofey mozgov? at least better than collins

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 01:04:14 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
nice to see fans are not on panic mode

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 01:15:26 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Plastic people melting due to panic as we speak.

This is a test of the Cs intestinal fortitude. Every game will be a bar fight from now on.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 02:04:14 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
Plastic people melting due to panic as we speak.

This is a test of the Cs intestinal fortitude. Every game will be a bar fight from now on.

+1