Poll

As A Boston Celtics Fans Would You Do

Panic We Can't Make It
5 (16.7%)
Don't Panic We Can Make It
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: March 09, 2013, 06:10:02 AM

Author Topic: Panic Or Don't Panic  (Read 9417 times)

Re: Panic Or Don't Panic
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 12:29:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think we can win a championship.  However, 29 franchises won't win a title this year.  I say just enjoy watching a couple of first ballot Hall of Famers in their twilight years.

This.

That is all I care about for the remainder of this lost season.  I just want to see KG and Pierce play out the string and enjoy their last days.

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »

Offline igorsure

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
We can be a contender if (and only if) one of our young player will made big step forward to become real game driver, offence weapon.

One regular game is just one regular game. And we could lose it absolutely the same way we win it.

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:28 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I fall in the Don't Panic majority... See my fanpost on the home pages. I still think we need big man help but if Jason Collins and Chris Wilcox can help us there even that goes away.

Our new team will emerge a little quicker now.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 12:55:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I agree. Doc needs to show them video of the Roberto Duran no mas fight. Also remember that guy in Braveheart who was like "Ok. Let's go home!" That guy was totally underrated.

A movie?
Part of the reason why these stories are memorable is because they donエt happen very often in reality.
No mas wasn't a movie. And Braveheart was a real guy. I mean I used non-fiction. Just about

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
It is hysterical with all of the hype about yesterday's win over Miami. I read over and over again on this blog that regular season games don't matter, just get into the playoffs, etc. etc. etc. Yet, yesterday's win in a meaningless regular season game over the Heat is now of huge importance and is a clear indicator that the Celtics can beat the Heat in a 7-game series without Rajon Rondo. Sorry, but you cannot have it both ways.
This is a false comparison.

The regular season "doesn't matter" in the sense that the playoffs have a set of circumstances that are favorable for a team like ours (no back to backs, play the same team every time), but a game like yesterday was absolutely playoff-effort. The Heat were NOT phoning it in. The game in MSG against the Knicks was similar.

Games like that, you can draw conclusions from, IMO.

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think we can win a championship.  However, 29 franchises won't win a title this year.  I say just enjoy watching a couple of first ballot Hall of Famers in their twilight years.

The problem is that I don't enjoy that.

Maybe I'm spoiled because of the last 6 years, but I just don't really get all that excited about watching the team struggle to win half their games as Pierce and Garnett slowly fade into retirement.

I get the inclination to hold onto a good thing, if only for nostalgia's sake.  I don't begrudge you your desire to do exactly that.

But for me, to be interesting I need the season to feel like it means something.  If the Celtics hadn't made the playoffs and won at least one series every season for the past 5 years, I could view just making the playoffs and being competitive in the first round and maybe, with some luck, sneaking into the second round as a worthy goal.  But I'm not that desperate to see the team play in the playoffs.

Right now I'm most excited to just get started on figuring out what this team is going to look like the next time they are really competitive.  I want to start building to that next group of Celtics stars. 

I love and appreciate Paul and KG for all they've done, and I'm sure I will miss them more than I can imagine now once they are finally gone.  I also know that for logistical reasons it may not be possible to blow it up until the season is over.  But as soon as it is realistically possible, I want this team to move on and start picking up the pieces. 

Make the most of Rondo's injury -- view it as a catalyst for the chemical reaction that destroys what was and sets off the creation of what will be.  That is meaningful to me.  Much more so than watching Pierce and Garnett give us glimpses, for a few minutes at a time, of what they used to be able to do all game long.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Maybe I'm spoiled because of the last 6 years.

You do realize that most of the last 6 years have been a continued disappointment in season performance, and an uphill battle during the playoffs right?

What makes this particular year any different?

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Maybe I'm spoiled because of the last 6 years.

You do realize that most of the last 6 years have been a continued disappointment in season performance, and an uphill battle during the playoffs right?

What makes this particular year any different?

a) With the exception of 2009, in previous years they had the whole core group together, so there was at least a small hope they could make a deep run.

b) Even last season there was good reason to feel that they would win at least one playoff series.  Without Rondo and with the team as a likely 7th or 8th seed, that doesn't seem very likely to me.

Bottom line, in the past, the playoffs were exciting because the team usually rose up and played much better.  Most notably, Rondo became a completely different player in the playoffs.  This year and beyond the main justification for holding onto this group is just for the sake of watching Pierce and KG play in a Celtics uniform for as long as they're willing to do so.  Which, like I said, is fine and dandy, but to me it's gotten old.  I guess overall the point is that I'm tired of watching the same thing, knowing the results will be more or less the same, and knowing that the product on the floor is only getting worse.  This team isn't going to age like fine wine.

"Watching future Hall of Famers" sounds nice until you recognize that most nights that means you're watching these guys play like shells of their former selves.  It's only on occasion that they play up to their former glory.  And even then you know it's basically just a farewell tour.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 01:46:23 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Maybe I'm spoiled because of the last 6 years, but I just don't really get all that excited about watching the team struggle to win half their games as Pierce and Garnett slowly fade into retirement.

I get the inclination to hold onto a good thing, if only for nostalgia's sake.  I don't begrudge you your desire to do exactly that.

But for me, to be interesting I need the season to feel like it means something.  If the Celtics hadn't made the playoffs and won at least one series every season for the past 5 years, I could view just making the playoffs and being competitive in the first round and maybe, with some luck, sneaking into the second round as a worthy goal.  But I'm not that desperate to see the team play in the playoffs.

Right now I'm most excited to just get started on figuring out what this team is going to look like the next time they are really competitive.  I want to start building to that next group of Celtics stars. 

I love and appreciate Paul and KG for all they've done, and I'm sure I will miss them more than I can imagine now once they are finally gone.  I also know that for logistical reasons it may not be possible to blow it up until the season is over.  But as soon as it is realistically possible, I want this team to move on and start picking up the pieces. 

Make the most of Rondo's injury -- view it as a catalyst for the chemical reaction that destroys what was and sets off the creation of what will be.  That is meaningful to me.  Much more so than watching Pierce and Garnett give us glimpses, for a few minutes at a time, of what they used to be able to do all game long.
Remember how excited and optimistic fans were with the addition of Terry and Lee, and the emergence of Sully as a player?  During the Miami game they gave glimpses of why.   Maybe this injury will be the catalyst that makes them kick their game up a notch to fulfill that promise.  At any rate, it may turn the team toward cohesiveness and next year, when Rondo gets back, is time enough start trading and tearing down, if PP and KG decide to retire or refuse to come off the bench if necessary.  I hope they will play one more year, the team gels, and  Rondo comes back stronger.  I have said all along that this team is already in rebuilding mode, and is trying to stay competitive at the same time.  Right now we don't have the trade value to remain competitive by that route, and from what I have read, the draft is supposed to be weak next year (I don't follow college and don't know if that is correct or not...for all I know, there may be another Larry Bird lurking).

I am also hoping (?) that KG and PP will continue to mentor this group, and that they will return to play next year, to go for "One More Ring."

I am Rondo's biggest fan and am not suggesting anyone can take his place.  What I am suggesting is that a player or players may emerge in his absence who can either play with him in the future, or will increase his trade value with increased play.  I say ride it out.  Tearing it up can not feel worse, and the results will very probably not be any better.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
   Personally I'd ask Pierce and Garnett how they'd like to finish their careers, on a also ran/potential lottery team or with a contender.

If they'd like to finish with a contender I'd try to make a deal that makes sense for the Celtic's and give them what they want.  They've both earned that.  I wouldn't give them away but I do believe a contender might give the C's some value in return for two guy who are likely to retire before Rondo is 100% healthy again.

If they say they want to finish their careers in Boston regardless of how it ends then keep them around.  Either way they'll always be Celtics and their numbers will one day be in the rafters.

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm in the dont panic camp. Obviously Rondo is our best player and arguably our most important (yes KG i Know). Without Rondo guys aren't going to be getting as many open looks or getting the ball in their "sweet spots".

To grind my teeth and find positive with this is that our log jam at the guard spot is solved for the time being. Lee, Terry, and Bradley will all get more minutes now. (Again, not a good thing or ideal but just making light out of it). Terry might be able to JET (ha) out of his slump, Lee is deserving of more minutes, and Bradley is strong when in the lineup. Barbosa can also give a better bench spark.

Our minutes could start looking something like this.

Bradley (30)/ Terry (14)/Barbosa(4)
Lee (30)/Terry (16)/Barbosa (2)
Pierce (28)/Green(20)
Sully (20)/ Bass (20)/ Green (8)
KG (28)/Sully (5)/Wilcox (12)/ Collins (3)

Edit*: Green plays 8 minutes at the PF not smiley face sunglasses.

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I know A.Sherrod is not a good source but hey i love rumors so. Here! He just tweeted saying NBA folks are saying the most tradeable assets are AB sully Clee and Pierce. Maybe we could package Bass with someone like Lee and get a decent player. I like our team still with the defense it has to offer but would like either someone like Lowery or Calderon or Gortat.

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I know A.Sherrod is not a good source but hey i love rumors so. Here! He just tweeted saying NBA folks are saying the most tradeable assets are AB sully Clee and Pierce. Maybe we could package Bass with someone like Lee and get a decent player. I like our team still with the defense it has to offer but would like either someone like Lowery or Calderon or Gortat.

If A Sherrod says it, it's not a rumor, it's just him making inferences / speculating.

Of course AB, Sully, Lee, and Pierce are the most tradeable assets.  I could have told you that.

The team shouldn't trade AB or Sully, though, and I don't think that requires explanation.  The problem with trading Lee and / or Pierce is that the value we're likely to get in return is not much.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435

If A Sherrod says it, it's not a rumor, it's just him making inferences / speculating.

Of course AB, Sully, Lee, and Pierce are the most tradeable assets.  I could have told you that.

The team shouldn't trade AB or Sully, though, and I don't think that requires explanation.  The problem with trading Lee and / or Pierce is that the value we're likely to get in return is not much.

True lol

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I may get flamed for this but, if Rondo was truly the teams best player, that meant we had no chance at a title to begin with. Rondo cannot be a championship caliber teams best player. He is too limited offensively. We cannot go to him down the stretch, and he doesn't have the ability to put the team on his back like most other star players do. Rondo is a complimentary piece to a championship puzzle. If he's the second or third best player on your team, you're in business, but if he's your best player that means you need to make a few moves, honestly. Having said all that, i don't think the team is championship contenders with or without him, so there is no need to panic at all. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. That's what would have happened if Rondo were healthy anyway.

I respect it and agree.