Poll

As A Boston Celtics Fans Would You Do

Panic We Can't Make It
5 (16.7%)
Don't Panic We Can Make It
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: March 09, 2013, 06:10:02 AM

Author Topic: Panic Or Don't Panic  (Read 9415 times)

Re: Panic Or Don't Panic
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Blow it up. It's over.

What's over?  Most people didn't think we had much of a shot at a title even before the Rondo injury.  I still think we have the best shot to knock of the Heat in the Eastern Conference playoffs, even now that our star point guard is gone. 

I posted some of those reasons in another thread, but I'll give a brief summary of them again:

Jeff Green defending Lebron James.

Paul Pierce as a point forward.

KG actually playing in the post against the Heat.

A disruptive, speed defense as opposed to a power defense. 

Good guard depth, with a couple of them being good, disruptive defenders. 

I understand that I'm being highly optimistic to think that we can beat Miami in the playoffs, but I'd still like to see this team give it a try.  I still think we match up well against them. 

What do we have to lose?  With the Rondo injury, next year is kind of a perfect opportunity for that tank year that everybody has been clamoring for.  Let Rondo sit out the full season to really recover.  Then we are reloaded for 2014-2015 and beyond with Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, Melo (hopefully, he pans out) our lottery pick, and  whatever other pieces Ainge manages to throw into the mix between now and then.  We'll even have some cap space to play with by then.

Don't blow this up, Danny.  There's absolutely no need to panic.

Ugh...this pipe dream we can beat the heat in a series is a joke....we aren't going anywhere sorry bub

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Blow it up. It's over.

What's over?  Most people didn't think we had much of a shot at a title even before the Rondo injury.  I still think we have the best shot to knock of the Heat in the Eastern Conference playoffs, even now that our star point guard is gone. 

I posted some of those reasons in another thread, but I'll give a brief summary of them again:

I understand that I'm being highly optimistic to think that we can beat Miami in the playoffs, but I'd still like to see this team give it a try.  I still think we match up well against them. 

What do we have to lose?  With the Rondo injury, next year is kind of a perfect opportunity for that tank year that everybody has been clamoring for.  Let Rondo sit out the full season to really recover.  Then we are reloaded for 2014-2015 and beyond with Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, Melo (hopefully, he pans out) our lottery pick, and  whatever other pieces Ainge manages to throw into the mix between now and then.  We'll even have some cap space to play with by then.

Ugh...this pipe dream we can beat the heat in a series is a joke....we aren't going anywhere sorry bub

Thank you for the thoughtful response.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Blow it up. It's over.

I agree. Doc needs to show them video of the Roberto Duran no mas fight. Also remember that guy in Braveheart who was like "Ok. Let's go home!" That guy was totally underrated.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:56:23 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If you panic, you've already lost before you even began, regardless of your strategy going forward.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Blow it up. It's over.

I appreciate the optimism and all...but really? You think we can beat the heat in a playoff series? I thought it was doubtful with rondo but now it's just kinda delusional...I'd be happy if we could take them 6.

Where was all this optimism before rondo was out for the year?

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Blow it up. It's over.

I agree. Doc needs to show them video of the Roberto Duran no mas fight. Also remember that guy in Braveheart who like "Ok. Let's go home!" That guy was totally underrated.

Lol, well played.
I think the Celtics will fight....to a first round exit...but I expect them to fight

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Relax everyone, we only lost our only real allstar on the team, why panic? Somehow someway i just have a gut feeling we will beat the heat in the playoffs and win banner18!!

Why do i feel this way? Well, because its the celtics!! We have pierce, kg, lee, terry, green! I mean, i know pierce and kg are a little older but you can't underestimate the heart of a champion!

When you have a 35 36 year old pierce and 36 37 year old KG leading the team anythings possible. We don't need star talent, we can get this done with a bunch of role players!! Who's with me?!!.........no?..........ok...

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Blow it up. It's over.

I appreciate the optimism and all...but really? You think we can beat the heat in a playoff series? I thought it was doubtful with rondo but now it's just kinda delusional...I'd be happy if we could take them 6.

Well, Boston's got to play better than they have this year, obviously, and I don't think they'd have much of a chance at beating whoever comes out of the East.  But much like the Knicks are now a terrible matchup for Boston because we have no one who can guard Amare (no, KG can't do it anymore), we're a bad matchup for Miami because Boston does have guys who can guard Wade and LeBron.  Without Jeff Green, LeBron probably goes for 45 again on Sunday and we lose.  And Avery, Lee and Pierce can really give Wade problems.

It's still a longshot, but Boston still would have a better chance against the Heat than most other East playoff teams.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Blow it up. It's over.

I was even more optimistic before Rondo went down that we had a shot at upsetting the Heat. 

I've given some of my reasons that I'm still optimistic above. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
No reason to panic now, that time has came and went before Rondos injury.

Just regroup add or trade a player or two and see how it goes.

I'm curious to see how the team responds to adversity.  I think
They will step up as a team

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I may get flamed for this but, if Rondo was truly the teams best player, that meant we had no chance at a title to begin with. Rondo cannot be a championship caliber teams best player. He is too limited offensively. We cannot go to him down the stretch, and he doesn't have the ability to put the team on his back like most other star players do. Rondo is a complimentary piece to a championship puzzle. If he's the second or third best player on your team, you're in business, but if he's your best player that means you need to make a few moves, honestly. Having said all that, i don't think the team is championship contenders with or without him, so there is no need to panic at all. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. That's what would have happened if Rondo were healthy anyway.

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I don't think we can win a championship.  However, 29 franchises won't win a title this year.  I say just enjoy watching a couple of first ballot Hall of Famers in their twilight years.

100 percent with you, Roy. And, we are not a better team without Rondo.

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
It is hysterical with all of the hype about yesterday's win over Miami. I read over and over again on this blog that regular season games don't matter, just get into the playoffs, etc. etc. etc. Yet, yesterday's win in a meaningless regular season game over the Heat is now of huge importance and is a clear indicator that the Celtics can beat the Heat in a 7-game series without Rajon Rondo. Sorry, but you cannot have it both ways.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I agree. Doc needs to show them video of the Roberto Duran no mas fight. Also remember that guy in Braveheart who like "Ok. Let's go home!" That guy was totally underrated.

A movie?
Part of the reason why these stories are memorable is because they donīt happen very often in reality.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I may get flamed for this but, if Rondo was truly the teams best player, that meant we had no chance at a title to begin with. Rondo cannot be a championship caliber teams best player. He is too limited offensively. We cannot go to him down the stretch, and he doesn't have the ability to put the team on his back like most other star players do. Rondo is a complimentary piece to a championship puzzle. If he's the second or third best player on your team, you're in business, but if he's your best player that means you need to make a few moves, honestly. Having said all that, i don't think the team is championship contenders with or without him, so there is no need to panic at all. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. That's what would have happened if Rondo were healthy anyway.

We weren't title contenders with Rondo. We're not now. Been saying for years that Rondo is not the foundation of a championship run.

Time to watch the other pieces develop and enjoy Garnett and Pierce. I enjoy ball movement and good defensive basketball, and if Sunday is any indication our backcourt defense is going to be fun to watch. Finally.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."