Author Topic: Why do people talk about the possibility of KG retiring?  (Read 2211 times)

Why do people talk about the possibility of KG retiring?
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've seen it in several threads now.  I just don't see any particular reason to think it is a likely possibility.  I would be shocked if this his last season.  I don't want it to be his last season with the Celtics.

Are there fans who will be disappointed if KG is a Celtic next season, neither retiring nor waiving his no-trade clause?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Why do people talk about the possibility of KG retiring?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah I don't understand why people keep bringing this up either. To make things further confusing, KG is under contract for two more years, isn't he??

Makes no sense.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I think people are guessing he might retire bc they think he doesn't want to stick around a rebuild.

I think people are hoping he retires so we can free up cap room

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
How does it not make sense? KG is gonna be like what, 38 next year? If we aren't seriously contending i could easily see KG calling it quits before his contract is up.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If Rondo is possibly out for some time and Paul gets traded then what left for him to come back to? Unless Boston pulled something out of nothing then I'm not so sure he'd want to stick around for a rebuild?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
KG has said repeatedly he's taking it year by year.  Obviously, retirement has crossed his mind.  If we go into a rebuild, it very well could push him out the door.

Here's a recent quote:

Garnett signed a three-year deal at the beginning of this year, but if you ask Garnett, he is going to take one year at a time.

"I don't know," Garnett told Yahoo! Sports. "I will make a decision every year. I want to make sure I am having fun. I want to make sure I am productive. I got a lot of responsibility on me right now. I'll figure it out. But right now I'm still enjoying myself for the most part."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kevin-garnett--i-never-cared-about-the-accolades-233927861.html

In the article, he talks about contemplating retirement.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
How does it not make sense? KG is gonna be like what, 38 next year? If we aren't seriously contending i could easily see KG calling it quits before his contract is up.

This KG signed on to contend not to overwatch a rebuild. To be honest after watching the first half of this season I hope he does. This team needs to move on and start looking to build a new core.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
During the offseason KG was reportedly very stuck between returning and retiring, and it wasn't until the very last minute that he decided to return.

Doc has said several times in the past that it's amazing the amount of physical work it takes KG every night just to be able to get his body ready for each game - there's a lot of mileage on those bones!

I alway suspected KG would return simply because:
1. He is the ultimate competitor who never gives up
2. His love for basketball
3. The fact that we came so close to making the finals

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see KG retire if either:
1. We don't make the playoffs, and things aren't looking up
2. He gets traded to another team

I think KG would rather retire than play for a losing team, or for any non-Celtics team. 

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
To presume he'll retire if we aren't contenders next year is probably a mistake.  I understand he contemplated it and contending is likely a factor. In addition, I would guess his health, his ability to play at a high level, and the fact that there are 21 million dollars on the table over the next 2 years are all pretty substantial variables.  I would think playing on a contending team other than the C's would be something he'd consider as well (via trade).   Of course retirement would be a possibility.  But no one -- not even KG at this point I would guess -- knows the liklihood.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
KG has said repeatedly he's taking it year by year.  Obviously, retirement has crossed his mind.  If we go into a rebuild, it very well could push him out the door.

Here's a recent quote:

Garnett signed a three-year deal at the beginning of this year, but if you ask Garnett, he is going to take one year at a time.

"I don't know," Garnett told Yahoo! Sports. "I will make a decision every year. I want to make sure I am having fun. I want to make sure I am productive. I got a lot of responsibility on me right now. I'll figure it out. But right now I'm still enjoying myself for the most part."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kevin-garnett--i-never-cared-about-the-accolades-233927861.html

In the article, he talks about contemplating retirement.

Just to add onto this, multiple people who knows these things (e.g. Jackie MacMullan, Bill Simmons) have talked about how KG has struggled at times these past couple of years, feeling like he's almost done.  KG supposedly has to go through a lot to keep playing at the level he's at.  His play may have recovered from his knee injury, but I don't think the game has been easy for him since that happened.  There's a lot of wear and tear on him from giving his all every night for 17+ years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If KG does retire--which, personally, I don't think he will--how much will the Celtics owe him?  Will they still be on the hook for his whole contract?  Or a percentage of it?

Anyone (Roy) got the answers to these questions?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 12:13:30 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I think people are guessing he might retire bc they think he doesn't want to stick around a rebuild.

I think people are hoping he retires so we can free up cap room

This

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I sure as heck hope he doesn't.  I Love watching him play.  He was always my fav non-Celtic player before he came here.  Now he is right there with any of the other Celtic legends.

He is old (in NBA years), I will not be the least bit surprised if he retires soon.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 12:31:59 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
KG has been such an amazing player his whole career, I guess I don't see him sticking around past where he feels like he can make a major contribution to the team.  The dude is a proud man.  If he feels he is slipping and he can't be the player he wants to be and can't feel as healthy as he wants to feel I wouldn't be surprised if he retires.

I am not sure the rebuild thing is huge or not.  From his interviews, he seems to love working with the new / young guys.  The guy sounds really loyal to Doc, so he isn't just going to ship out with no reason.  Maybe it would be more on his own expectations of his level of play and health.

I would love it if he played out his whole contract, but that is because I love KG. 

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 12:43:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
To presume he'll retire if we aren't contenders next year is probably a mistake.  I understand he contemplated it and contending is likely a factor. In addition, I would guess his health, his ability to play at a high level, and the fact that there are 21 million dollars on the table over the next 2 years are all pretty substantial variables.  I would think playing on a contending team other than the C's would be something he'd consider as well (via trade).   Of course retirement would be a possibility.  But no one -- not even KG at this point I would guess -- knows the liklihood.

I'll agree, nobody really knows.

I have serious doubts money is an issue, though.  KG has made more money in NBA contracts than any player in the history of the league.  I believe the total value of his contracts is over $300 million.