Author Topic: Trade Garnett, Lee to OKC for Lamb, Martin, picks  (Read 3276 times)

Trade Garnett, Lee to OKC for Lamb, Martin, picks
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:41:17 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aw324z6

Garnett gets a very, very good chance at a championship.
OKC becomes THE favorite to win it all.
We get Jeremy Lamb, expiring salary, and a lottery pick (top-3 protected).

Garnett + Courtney Lee to OKC
Jeremy Lamb + Kevin Martin + Toronto's 1st rounder to BOS

OKC could potentially add Dallas' 1st rounder (top-20 protection) or their own.

I would actually like to see OKC win it all with Garnett. And I don't see how else we get his salary totally off the books AND gain good young pieces.

Re: Trade Garnett, Lee to OKC for Lamb, Martin, picks
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:45:01 AM »

Offline syn2k12

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
we can trade paul, but please not kg. KG might not be hitting his shots at a high clip, but he is playing about the same as last season, and he turned it on in the playoffs. and you can clearly see the difference he has when he is on the floor, the defense is great.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:48:38 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I see the logic - but does OKC want Garnett for three years? Weren't salary cap problems the impetus for the Harden trade?

They will be paying Ibaka next year. I thought Martin was brought in because he is expiring. Also, I'd want all OKC draft picks for KG, as well as a 2015.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:49:50 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
We need to get Nerlens Noel, essentially, if we trade KG, and we would need three, or more, draft picks to get there.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I thought KG had a no-trade clause?

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
The salary bit may be true... although it's hard to believe any contender passes on Garnett's salary (which is only $11M) while he's still an All-Star talent. That's significantly less than they would have been paying Harden.

As for please not Garnett, I'd hate to see him go too, but realistically I think he's the only guy who could still bring us back real assets. And OKC is the only contender I see with a spare lottery pick that would work. 2 more lottery picks (counting Lamb as the 1st) is better than watching Garnett fade into retirement w/o a chance to win it all.

I'd love to see Pierce somehow moved for that Charlotte pick from Chicago, but don't see how that gets done.

Rondo, Bradley, Lamb, Sullinger, Melo + 2 lottery picks (2013) is a lot of control over young cheap talent...

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:07:18 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
That'd be neat. Maybe Perk can convince him

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

He does. I think he would want to play for OKC, considering they'd be the favorite to win it all. But yes, he could veto it.

Westbrook
Sefolosha
Durant
Ibaka
Garnett

Holy (moley).

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 02:11:17 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

He does. I think he would want to play for OKC, considering they'd be the favorite to win it all. But yes, he could veto it.

Westbrook
Sefolosha
Durant
Ibaka
Garnett

Holy (moley).

It would be an amazing team. It's a great idea - if improbable due to salary cap issues. TP.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 02:24:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hard for OKC to say no to a trade that makes them the HEAVY favorites this season.

However, it hurts them long term.  It depends on how highly they value Lamb and that draft pick from the Raptors.

The Thunder tend to eschew win-now moves in favor of taking the longview.  That's why they traded Harden at the beginning of this season rather than letting him get to free agency, after all.

Definitely a good trade for the Cs.  That pick could be top 5 (though I think it's top 3 protected).  Lamb may or may not be a decent role player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 02:29:59 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

Westbrook
Sefolosha
Durant
Ibaka
Garnett

Holy (moley).

It would be an amazing team. It's a great idea - if improbable due to salary cap issues. TP.

Thanks. Ironically, the clincher would probably be if we were willing to take back Perk:

BOS: Perkins, Lamb, Toronto 1st (top-3 protect), Dallas 1st (top-20 protect)
OKC: Garnett, Collins

OKC would come out almost exactly even for salary cap purposes.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 02:51:06 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I would hate to see garnett go but for the sake of the guy if he wants to i guess its his choice. The thing i would hate the most is my mate who goes for OKC (knows f all about basketball, hence why he went for OKC) just go on about having garnett, id rather gouge my eyeballs out and plug my ears with my eyes then sear my eye holes shut before it happens.

But getting Lamb Perk and those picks could be interesting...

Lamb looks like he will be a good player in a few years. Bigger better Austin Rivers. Reckon they would throw PJ 3 in there?

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 02:55:35 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
I would hate to see garnett go but for the sake of the guy if he wants to i guess its his choice. The thing i would hate the most is my mate who goes for OKC (knows f all about basketball, hence why he went for OKC) just go on about having garnett, id rather gouge my eyeballs out and plug my ears with my eyes then sear my eye holes shut before it happens.

But getting Lamb Perk and those picks could be interesting...

Lamb looks like he will be a good player in a few years. Bigger better Austin Rivers. Reckon they would throw PJ 3 in there?

Who knows... I mean if we're giving them 2 or 3 runs with Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka and Garnett AND not hurting their pocketbooks you'd think we could get a lot of their other pieces.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 03:03:18 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
If they are serious about blowing it up and looking to the future id be asking for perk lamb PJ 3. Lets be honest PJ 3 isnt going to see much playing time there.

I hate myself for even thinking and writing about these things because thats how much i love both pierce and garnett. Im a strong believer that they should retire in green have their Jersey's retired together and be inducted together in the hall of fame.

But If you send KG to OKC for lamb PJ 3 and perk

then send Pierce somewhere maybe memphis for Gay or even back to LA to GSW and get Barnes in return (probs wouldnt happen) but still

something in the future of having Rondo, Bradley, Green, Barnes, Lamb, PJ 3 Sully Melo. Talent is there...

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 04:15:19 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
No way GSW gives up Barnes for Pierce. I love the Garnet to OKC idea as long as we get lamb/pj3/toronto pick. They stay even in salary and get 2 rings. Hard to pass that up.