Author Topic: Will the Cs use the disabled player exemption to sign a player (or two)?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Boston's payroll is up there, but they will now become eligible for an disabled player exemption salary slot for Rondo.  As I understand it, the exemption is worth half the player's salary or the MLE that year, whichever is less, and it can be used on multiple players. 

There's not a lot out there in FA PGs (Fisher, Boykins, Bibby), but they could bring in a combo guard like Delonte West. 

Along with signing someone like Delonte, they could get creative and get a jump start on the rest of the league and sign Greg Oden for this year and next.  It would be ironic to sign an injured player with the disabled player exemption.   

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Boston's payroll is up there, but they will now become eligible for an disabled player exemption salary slot for Rondo.  As I understand it, the exemption is worth half the player's salary or the MLE that year, whichever is less, and it can be used on multiple players. 

There's not a lot out there in FA PGs (Fisher, Boykins, Bibby), but they could bring in a combo guard like Delonte West. 

Along with signing someone like Delonte, they could get creative and get a jump start on the rest of the league and sign Greg Oden for this year and next.  It would be ironic to sign an injured player with the disabled player exemption.

Interesting find. TP
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Will the Cs use the disabled player exemption to sign a player (or two)?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Maybe they use it to sign another guy with knee history , Greg Oden. Oops missed you mention that in the OP.

They can now outbid Miami and other contenders for his services if they do indeed use it ....

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:20:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Unfortunately, I think the Celtics can't apply for such an exception without exceeding the luxury tax "apron" threshold. Doing so would complicate the Jason Terry signing: the Celtics used an exception available only to non-tax-paying teams to sign him.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Again, this exception is only available to teams that are below the "apron," i.e., below the point $4 million above the tax line. Teams above the apron instead must use the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see below). Further, any team that uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception cannot go above the apron for the remainder of that season. In other words, once a team uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the apron effectively becomes a hard cap for the remainder of that season4. This eliminates any potential loophole where a team could first use its full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception and subsequently add salary to go above the apron, since adding salary first and then using the exception would be illegal.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:43:23 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

It should be against the rules to use an injured player exception to sign an injured player, but heck, there have been stranger rules in the NBA. I'd sign Oden.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

It should be against the rules to use an injured player exception to sign an injured player, but heck, there have been stranger rules in the NBA. I'd sign Oden.

I would gamble to get Oden too.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney

Unfortunately, I think the Celtics can't apply for such an exception without exceeding the luxury tax threshold. Doing so would complicate the Jason Terry signing: the Celtics used an exception available only to non-tax-paying teams to sign him.

The whole idea of the exemption is to allow a team to go over the threshold.  I don't know if their Terry signing makes them ineligible for the Disabled Player Exemption.  I'd be surprised if it did.   

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:35:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Actually, according to Larry Coon, teams cannot apply for a disabled player exception after January 15.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Haha, the irony indeed TripleOT.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:14 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Actually, according to Larry Coon, teams cannot apply for a disabled player exception after January 15.

He's done the research, and he is right! More TP!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney

That sucks.   

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:49:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If Stern can screw us he will, anyone recall what he did with Reggie.