Author Topic: How did you become a Celtic fan?  (Read 9829 times)

Re: How did you become a Celtic fan?
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2018, 06:07:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Born & Raised in Malden, Ma. = Celtics fan for life. Even back in the 80's when it wasn't "cool" to be a black Celtics fan. lol

To what extent are young black Bostonians still avoiding Celtics fandom?  It's only a singular anecdote, so I don't want to draw conclusions, but earlier this year I was in a high school just outside of Boston and was talking with a small group of students (probably 3 or 4) -- all were African-American.  I asked if they were Celtics fans and all shook their heads "no" -- one said "never".   It wasn't a situation where I could get into why.

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Born & Raised in Malden, Ma. = Celtics fan for life. Even back in the 80's when it wasn't "cool" to be a black Celtics fan. lol

Malden as well, Linden Elementary-Brown Jr High- Malden High! Celtics fan for life as well. I've been all over but always kept being a fan through the good times and bad ( The 90s)!

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I became a fan when Ray and KG joined the team. Paul Pierce was always a favorite of mine, and so were Ray and KG. When they joined forces i was in heaven. Have been a major fan since and haven't looked back. Love being a fan of this team.

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I could not stand the Lakesr and Riley
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:04:41 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
in my mind been a fan since i was born even though i did not recognize it or become a big time fan until early 80's. dad was a celtic. i am a celtic. was never a jazz fan but when they left NOLA we had no team so dad was always a celtic anyway so i joined him! RIP DAD! we gonna win this for you tonight!   8)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I didn't become one. I was born one.

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
My dad (R.I.P.) was the biggest Celtic fan I’ve ever seen, it was passed down on me from day one. Insisted on having the game on the tv in the hospital when I was born. God bless that man for teaching me about the history of this team and showing me the culture. Watching them win in 2008 was the greatest moment I ever shared with him.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2018, 07:03:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Birth right fandom. It followed me from NH to NY to OR to ME to MA to NJ to ME again.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2018, 07:07:10 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
2002 ECF Comeback win vs. the Nets. Been hooked ever since.

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
A regular season game in the mid 00s where Pierce cooked the Lakers when I was still a child
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
Grew up in SW Ohio and the team I played for in the local community league was the Celtics. That simple. I was 10 years old Bird’s rookie year, so the formative years of my fandom lined up perfectly with the Big 3.

I shudder to think what might have been if my team had worn purple and yellow.

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »

Offline LRNation_

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Back 7 years ago, I saw an entire basketball playoff series Throwback with Bird, Mchale, and Parish. I decided to stick with it because they were the only basketball team I knew. I soon started to watch a bit more Celtic games and started to get more involved with them. Whenever I saw them on TV, I rooted for them. However, as soon as I heard that B.S. was the new coach for the Celtics, I started to hone into the Celtics 24/7, especially seeing that Stevens was a great coach in the NCAA. I did this hoping that he would do something crazy for the team (we sucked right after the Brooklyn Trade). Of course, things have changed from 4-5 years ago, and we are almost seeing this team in the NBA finals! That's just a small story for me.

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Tried to follow b-ball for years.  Couldn’t get into a team.  Kinda liked Detroit but more because they were beating the lakers which I hated.  Watched the finals in 2008...game 5...the drama, the comeback and the fact that they were beating the lakers.  I always pulled for the underdog and the team concept and in that game that’s what the Celtics embodied. Watched game 6 and how that team galvanized but when KG  broke down and said anything is possible as We are the champions played in the background..with a tear in my eye...and lump in my throat....I said... this is my team!  Proudly, I haven’t looked back since :D

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Birth right fandom. It followed me from NH to NY to OR to ME to MA to NJ to ME again.

Where in NH were you born Roy?

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
49 yrs ago a 5 yr old kid got a nerf basketball set for X-mas.  One backboard was NY Knicks the other was Boston Celtics.  Being that my last name is Green I would always shoot at the green & whtte backboard when my friends and I would play full court in my room. The birth of being a Celtic fan began!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"