Author Topic: How did you become a Celtic fan?  (Read 9938 times)

Re: How did you become a Celtic fan?
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
I was a fan before but 1984 game 4 against the Lakers is when Celtic pride hit home. McHale closelines Rambo’s and guts and grit of that team then ML slamming home the the final nail saying “we’re coming back we’ll be back !!! “. That was Celtic pride , Boston Celtics basketball. I knew right then and there what Celtics pride was all about. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was 7 years old.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I was a fan before but 1984 game 4 against the Lakers is when Celtic pride hit home. McHale closelines Rambo’s and guts and grit of that team then ML slamming home the the final nail saying “we’re coming back we’ll be back !!! “. That was Celtic pride , Boston Celtics basketball. I knew right then and there what Celtics pride was all about. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was 7 years old.

Still my favorite NBA Playoff game ever~!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston

Still my favorite NBA Playoff game ever~!

The whole team should watch that game before tonight, in fact I will rewatch it right now !!!
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2018, 03:54:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Blessed to be born Irish American (Catholic)  in the New England area. Not everyone is so perfect. I mean lucky. Further I was lucky enough that my childhood was filled with Bird.

And remember when someone calls you an entitled brat sports fan because you're from New England make sure to respond with "I am entitled."   Never run from being a small part of the greatest sports fandom and entities in the history of the universe.

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I graduated HS in 1976 and had been a C's fan as far back as I could remember.  But it was the JoJo, Chaney, Hondo, Silas, Cowens Celtics that really made me feel like a true fan.  This was the team of my conscious childhood (the Russell years are a blur to me).    The C's-Suns triple OT game came on a night I was with friends -- we decided to listen to the end of the game as I drove my mother's station wagon to pick up some pizza (a bunch of guys who I haven't seen in 40 years).   We never made it into the pizza place.  We were riveted to the car and to Johnny Most for 3 overtimes. 

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Larry Bird
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2018, 04:27:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Hondo
Cowans
Bird
Russell

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Grew up in no man's land for professional sports with a family that didn't care about basketball. Started watching the Pierce/Walker Celtics and was hooked.

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Came to United States in Fall of 1995 and didn't know much about basketball except a little about MJ. Didn't speak English but started getting a glimpse of C's towards the end of that season with Antoine Walker. I got really into them the next season, Pierces rookie season. It was easy getting into basketball since that was the only sport that I could understand and Americans weren't really into soccer. Still my biggest sport to root for (except for the World Cup which is in another level).

Basically I never knew the glory days until KG came in. Lots of years suffering but it was always fun to watch. I have always been a local sports guy so I was stuck with them and live it.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2018, 04:38:13 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Bob Cousy's flash and Bill Russell's determination & cackle and Red Auerbach's feisty arrogance - favorite color has always been green (I am surprised how many other people said the color green).  Live in upstate New York - avoided the lifelong misery of being a knicks fan.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
My dad occasionally got free tickets from work in the club section the first year the new garden opened in 95 when I was 7, and took me to a few games. Have been a die-hard fan ever since and been a season ticket holder since 2008.

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Got into college basketball first in 1960 at the age of 9 and the Celtics around 1963. I did see Russell vs Wilt and both of them would have done well in any era, but Russell was the better player. My best sport was football, but basketball was by far mine and my family's favorite and I played into my early 50s before I decided that I wanted my knees to hold up.

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Born & Raised in Malden, Ma. = Celtics fan for life. Even back in the 80's when it wasn't "cool" to be a black Celtics fan. lol

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »

Offline umpacu

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 28
I think I already shared my story before, but here's again anyway: When I was ten years old, my father bought me a Bird's jersey (my first NBA jersey, no less), and he shared some stories about Larry Legend and the Celtics in general. In that moment I knew I wanted to be a fan of the best franchise in the NBA.

However, I'm from Argentina and back in those days, good luck if could catch an NBA game on TV. And when that happened, it was usually because the Bulls were playing (the most popular team by far, at the time). So it was hard to keep up feeding my fandom.

But then, a couple of years later, I got my first computer so with the help of Basketball games and the Internet I revived the love I had for the Celtics (starting during the Pitino era!) and kept growing to become what it is today: I watch all 82 games of the regular season + the postseason (if I missed one for whatever reason, I keep myself out of Twitter, sports TV and Celticsblog until I have the time to watch it); when we lose, it changes my day; when we win, it changes my week (unless there's a loss in the middle). You know, just like the rest of you.