Author Topic: How did you become a Celtic fan?  (Read 9828 times)

Re: How did you become a Celtic fan?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Heard Johnny Most for the first time in the late 50's with that crackly voice, "fiddlin' and diddlin'".....hooked.

Even when the Cs were on TV, Johnny would be on the radio.

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
im not from the area but my dad's a fan, he would get all the season games (directv, satellite, or whatever else was available) and record the ones missed... been watching since 1995 :P

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Father was a Celtics fan. Therefore I am a Celtics fan.

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
My sister who is 4 years older was a Yankees, Knicks, Rangers and Cowboy fan so naturally, I picked the  Redsox, Celtics, Bruins and Vikings- In the 70's, each arch enemy of her team, became my team and they were all chosen at 5 years old!

Fun times growing up in NY as a Boston fan especially back when they would lose everything in every sport but basketball. Thank God for the Celtics in my childhood though, great times watchin the teams from the 70's and 80's(especially the 80's).

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Born in 82, first game in 85. Larry Legend had me hooked from that moment on. The Boston Garden shaking and the sheer awe I had from watching Larry doing his thing.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:19:30 PM by jbpats »

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Born in 1990, started watching the Antoine / Pierce Celtics sporadically some nights.

I became diehard after this game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGi3jcpGS10

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I'm a millennial so Antoine Walker/Paul Pierce days. Also, green is my favorite color and I own a Paul Pierce jersey.

Now I'm gonna get or hear these new kids calling me a bandwagoner because the Celtics are good again lulz. Where were they when the Warriors had the likes of Raja Bell, Monta Ellis, Corey Maggette, Speedy Claxton and Don Nelson was their head coach  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
Team association was not optional in my family.  Any son would have to root for Dad's teams.  Dad rooted for the Celtics, the Montreal Canadians, the New York Yankees, and the New York Giants.  These were all champion teams in the 1950's and 1960's when Dad choose his teams.  Once chosen though, he stayed loyal.  Mom told me once, don't talk to your Dad about anything on Sundays.  The New York Giants had a string of 10 - 12 years without a winning record, that included the 7-9 season where "the fumble" to the hated Philadelphia Eagles.  Thank goodness Lawrence Taylor came around when I was a teenager.
For the Celtics, my Dad passes on Russell, Cousy, Sharman, Nelson, Heinson 'Tommy Gunner', and the other classic Celtics.  I saw Cowens, Havlicheck, JoJo White, then Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ, Cornbread Maxwell, Ainge, and then Reggie Lewis, Paul Pierce, etc.
The only star my Dad was ambivalent about was Antoine Walker.  The only teams that were unlikeable were the "tanking" teams who had people like Curtis Rowe and Sidney Wicks traded in who though OK players were not really Celtics in their play.
So yes, Johnny Most was always objective:  we sometimes watched on NBC but turned off the sound and listened to Johnny on the radio.
Red Auerbach is a genius, and his choice of Ainge as "Mr. Lucky" was his last act of Genius.
And that Tommy Heinson once got a technical foul for just looking at a dirty low down referee endears him to our hearts forever.

Go Celtics.

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
PS  when my Dad chose teams, there were no New England Patriots.  Upstart AFC teams are not equal to real NFL teams like the Giants.

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Father was a Celtics fan. Therefore I am a Celtics fan.

Ditto

My earliest memories are from the 1976 team and the triple OT game vs the Suns.  Loving Hondo in the latter stages of his career.

I still have this on vinyl.

Though I never saw Cousy play, I knew his retirement speech by heart!
Yup

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I’m not from Boston and have no ties.  It was Larry bird for me.

And for all those mentioning the father, that will be my sons story.  He’s 14 now and pretty much is a fan of all the teams I follow.

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Take a look at my name on here and take a guess.
Same for me. Saw that Boston-Phoenix classic and was in love for life.

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

Offline IndyCelt

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
Followed Larry Bird from watching his SR year at Indiana State

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I moved to NH in 1966, 5th grade.

Buddy got me hooked listening to Johnny Most radio broadcasts. Was Bill Russell’s first season as player-coach. (Season Wilt’s Sixers would win).

I’ve been a fan ever since, even though I moved back to NY in 1983.

This season has been as satisfying an experience for me as a fan any I can recall. Just exceeded all expectations.

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
In 1980, right as I was approaching my teen years.

I was transfixed at how this guy named Larry was head and shoulders above the players on the court and how he did INCREDIBLE things.

He was The Matrix before Shawn Marion was. The game seemed SLOW to him and it always seemed as if he was several steps ahead of everyone else.

Been a fan ever since.