Author Topic: CBS Sports: "Memphis likely to pursue Paul Pierce"  (Read 10952 times)

Re: CBS Sports: "Memphis likely to pursue Paul Pierce"
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
I tought we were thinking about pierce for gay possibility... Maybe im wrong...
Hoped for more interesting comments, but ok... Im stupid... You re right

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
What about

Pierce to memphis
Gay to sacramento
Evans cousins and salmons to boston

why don't you just have lebron and howard  coming to boston too in that trade?

It wouldn't fit under the salary cap.

LOL

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
What about

Pierce to memphis
Gay to sacramento

It does if you add Melo to the deal.

Not sure if Sac would do it, but they are looking for a franchise player with a level head. Gay fits that bill better than cousins right now.

But don't think it would happen...

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Maybe Chicago?  We could try to pry that Charlotte pick from them.

Imagine the Bulls closing with this lineup:

Rose
Pierce
Deng
Boozer/Gibson
Noah

That's pretty sick.

that's not a bad idea. We would need someone coming back to match salaries, but trading Pierce for the Charlotte pick and having him play out his career with Thibs is not bad at all.

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What about

Pierce to memphis
Gay to sacramento

Not sure if Sac would do it, but they are looking for a franchise player with a level head. Gay fits that bill better than cousins right now.

I dunno. Is it really worth giving up on Melo if all you're getting back is Howard and James? He's tearing it up in the D league and all.

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
What about

Pierce to memphis
Gay to sacramento

I dunno. Is it really worth giving up on Melo if all you're getting back is Howard and James? He's tearing it up in the D league and all.

In 2 years when Melo > Olajuwon this comment will look silly

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 11:08:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
What about

Pierce to memphis
Gay to sacramento

Pierce won't get you Evans OR Cousins, nevermind both of them! Keep dreaming.

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sounds like speculation based on previous rumors.

We'll see if it has any legs, I have a feeling that Memphis would want additional assets rather than a straight swap.

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
At least he'd be traded to a contender, the only way I'd want Pierce traded. I hate to say it but at this point it might be whats best for both him and us...

What's best for us probably depends on the individual fan's perspective, but I feel fairly certain that Paul Pierce wouldn't think it was in his best interest if he got traded.

Chance at another ring before retiring? I guarantee Ainge sits down with him and discusses the idea.

It's possible that he doesn't want to be traded and wants to ride out his final days in Boston. If that's true, then if I were Ainge I'd respect that and wouldn't trade him. However, it's just as possible that he wants to spend his final days helping a team not on the verge of a rebuild win it all.

I can't say for certain how Paul Pierce feels, but I highly doubt that the latter scenario is just as possible.

Maybe not and none of us can truly say how he feels but I highly doubt he's completely unopposed to the idea. Like I said though out of respect I'd hope Ainge only trades him if he welcomes it and only to a contender, such as Memphis
That's exactly my take on it too, esel.

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 11:38:31 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
How about getting Denver involved and unloading to get Gay & McGee?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a699j9d

Celtics trade:
Pierce, Garnett, Green, Bass

Receive:
Rudy Gay, Javale McGee, Jerryd Bayless, $11.6M trade exception

Memphis gets Pierce & Green.
Denver gets Garnett & Bass.

Gay is overpaid, but we're unloading a lot of salary in this deal (including Green's overpaid deal) and McGee has a pretty reasonable contract.

I'd at least be intrigued to see what this lineup could do.

Rondo (Bayless/Terry for now)
Bradley
Gay
Sullinger
McGee

Those 5 "only" get paid $40M, leaving some wiggle room if we can unload Lee and Terry in separate deals.

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Grizzlies & Nets emerge as possible landing spots for Pierce & Garnett

Danny Ainge is saying he hasn't decided what he's going to do with the Celtics. It was looking unlikely that the Celtics would be able to contend this season without a major trade. Now with Rajon Rondo out for the year Ainge has to decide whether adding a band aid for the season and hoping to make the 2nd round of the playoffs is the best strategy or if the team should go into full rebuild mode.

While Ainge has lamented how little value his veterans have on the trade market, if he chooses to trade Paul Pierce and/or Kevin Garnett, the Memphis Grizzlies and New Jersey Nets could be their next homes respectively.
One team that rival execs expect to be at the forefront of the Pierce pursuit is Memphis, which delayed but did not solve its long-term payroll concerns by getting under the luxury-tax line with last week's trade with Cleveland. While Memphis can survive for the rest of this season without trading Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph or Marc Gasol, it still cannot sustain such a top-heavy payroll for the next two seasons. Pierce would keep the Grizzlies dangerous -- arguably, make them more dangerous -- for the rest of this season, and allow them to reorganize their spending as soon as next season.

Would some big-spending contender -- the Nets, perhaps -- be willing to go all-in with a two-year rental of Kevin Garnett, whose ferocity and defensive leadership would cost $12.4 million next season plus the $6 million he'll be guaranteed in 2014-15 at age 38?

Celtics are in a difficult situation. Obviously KG would have to sign off on any trade due to his no-trade clause. Not sure if Pierce or KG would want any part of being on a rebuilding Celtics team, so f they're going to move on eventually, do you trade them now while you might actually get something of value in return? Or do you let Pierce leave on his own (to another team) in the Summer and KG retire and get nothing? It's been reported that Ainge laments not being able to pull off the Ray Allen/O.J. Mayo trade last year. I'm sure many names will be discussed up to the trade deadline. Seeing Pierce in Memphis or KG in Brooklyn would be surreal. Or either of those guys on any team for that matter. Sometimes the business of the NBA sucks.

http://www.celticslife.com/2013/01/grizzlies-nets-emerge-as-possible.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&m=1

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 11:50:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The problem with Brooklyn as a landing spot for KG is that they have absolutely nothing to offer Boston in a trade.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Trading Pierce to Memphis for Gay maybe makes sense, especially given Ainge's propensity to compile assets.  Even if he doesn't think Gay is better than Pierce, or that he's an especially valuable player, he might view him as a trade asset down the road.

As for Brooklyn, I just can't see a trade there.  What young assets do they have?  Are they going to trade us Kris Humphries for KG?  No thank you.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think Gay for Pierce makes sense. Realistically, we have to think more about next year than this one. And going forward the difference between Gay and Pierce will only widen. I think we need to take advantage of Pierce's still very solid play, as well as the Grizzlies wanting to shed cap for next season, in order to acquire a player of Gay's caliber. We would have Rondo, Gay, Green, Bradley, Sullinger, Melo, Lee (still only 27), and the 15th pick in this year's draft (if we finish 8th in the ECF) as a very solid foundation.

While it pains me to see Pierce wear a different jersey, this makes too much sense not to do.

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460