Author Topic: CBS Sports: "Memphis likely to pursue Paul Pierce"  (Read 10960 times)

CBS Sports: "Memphis likely to pursue Paul Pierce"
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:19:52 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
not sure this is really news but interesting enough. Not so interested in Gay but if they wanna chat about Gasol?  ;D

One team that rival execs expect to be at the forefront of the Pierce pursuit is Memphis, which delayed but did not solve its long-term payroll concerns by getting under the luxury-tax line with last week's trade with Cleveland. While Memphis can survive for the rest of this season without trading Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph or Marc Gasol, it still cannot sustain such a top-heavy payroll for the next two seasons. Pierce would keep the Grizzlies dangerous -- arguably, make them more dangerous -- for the rest of this season, and allow them to reorganize their spending as soon as next season.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: CBS Sports: "Memphis likely to pursue Paul Pierce"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Gay or Gasol . Most likely Gay. I think if Green starts at sf he can put up stats close to gay's at half the price. If Gasol is on the table do it , no doubt.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:25:05 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
It we were able to get Gay for Pierce no way Danny turns that down how is that even possible though?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Gay or Gasol . Most likely Gay. I think if Green starts at sf he can put up stats close to gay's at half the price. If Gasol is on the table do it , no doubt.

I agree to an extent on Green being able to produce stats as a go-to guy.

Gay has experience as a closer that Green just doesn't (yet).  That has value, but I'd rather gamble on Green and spend elsewhere.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celts i doubt want Gay. Like many said, his stats don't justify his pay.

Its going to end up being like the cleveland trade where memphis will have to give up more to have somebody take gay off their hands.

If they want pierce it will have to be through a three way trade

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28:14 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Sorry, but never trade Pierce.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
At least he'd be traded to a contender, the only way I'd want Pierce traded. I hate to say it but at this point it might be whats best for both him and us...

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Best news all day.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
At least he'd be traded to a contender, the only way I'd want Pierce traded. I hate to say it but at this point it might be whats best for both him and us...

What's best for us probably depends on the individual fan's perspective, but I feel fairly certain that Paul Pierce wouldn't think it was in his best interest if he got traded.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Does Gay have any viability as a SG? If not I'm not sure what value he has over Green especially at such a high price. If he could become a go-to scorer at the SG then he is definitely worth a look. If not I like Green's D and offense..

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

What's best for us probably depends on the individual fan's perspective, but I feel fairly certain that Paul Pierce wouldn't think it was in his best interest if he got traded.

Chance at another ring before retiring? I guarantee Ainge sits down with him and discusses the idea.

It's possible that he doesn't want to be traded and wants to ride out his final days in Boston. If that's true, then if I were Ainge I'd respect that and wouldn't trade him. However, it's just as possible that he wants to spend his final days helping a team not on the verge of a rebuild win it all.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
Sorry, but never trade Pierce.

his legs are gone man. I think KG could stay with us longer TBH.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
It would have to be Gay coming back to Boston now that I think of it . Would rather send gay to a 3rd team and get a big man like big al, Josh Smith  in return. They are both very good ,relatively young big men on expiring deals , so you can see how they fit in the system for the rest of this year .

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Chance at another ring before retiring? I guarantee Ainge sits down with him and discusses the idea.

It's possible that he doesn't want to be traded and wants to ride out his final days in Boston. If that's true, then if I were Ainge I'd respect that and wouldn't trade him. However, it's just as possible that he wants to spend his final days helping a team not on the verge of a rebuild win it all.

I can't say for certain how Paul Pierce feels, but I highly doubt that the latter scenario is just as possible.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

I can't say for certain how Paul Pierce feels, but I highly doubt that the latter scenario is just as possible.

Maybe not and none of us can truly say how he feels but I highly doubt he's completely unopposed to the idea. Like I said though out of respect I'd hope Ainge only trades him if he welcomes it and only to a contender, such as Memphis