Author Topic: If Rondo is our only shot at a championship...  (Read 2493 times)

If Rondo is our only shot at a championship...
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Why didn't we win it all last year?

With a significantly better PP and KG.
A Ray Allen.

And a bench that many people prefer over this one?

(you cannot answer with 'referees')

Re: If Rondo is our only shot at a championship...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

A Ray Allen.

Health.

As in:
O'Neal, Bradley, Pierce, Allen, Green, Wilcox, Pietrus all hurting.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:28:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand the argument.

That's like saying "If Kevin Durant is OKC's only chance at a championship, why didn't he win it last year"?

Obviously, Rondo was a key player on this team.  Losing him makes our chances much, much less than they were before. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

That's like saying "If Kevin Durant is OKC's only chance at a championship, why didn't he win it last year"?

Obviously, Rondo was a key player on this team.  Losing him makes our chances much, much less than they were before.

My argument is why do we have to turn it all in for him?

And I think that's a wonderful question, too. But I think the difference is OKC fans don't put their trust in just one guy.

At the end of the day, this is a team. With much more talent than last year.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

And I think that's a wonderful question, too. But I think the difference is OKC fans don't put their trust in just one guy.

It's a team.  I agree we shouldn't pack it all in.  I just don't think "We didn't win with Rondo last year, so he's not all that important" is a very good argument.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:37:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

A Ray Allen.

Look at the team that lost to Miami. PP was playing through a strained knee ligament and Ray was hobbling around on bad ankles. Aside from that, our bench consisted of Steamer (foot problems in the postseason), Ryan Hollins, Keyon Dooling and Pietrus (still not over that concussion/neck injury IMO). Who would prefer that bench to Wilcox/Collins/Sully/Green/Terry/Lee/Barbosa?

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

It's a team.  I agree we shouldn't pack it all in.  I just don't think "We didn't win with Rondo last year, so he's not all that important" is a very good argument.

I must've been unclear in my argument because that wasn't my point at all. I never said Rondo isn't that important. I think my argument is for people who think Rondo is THAT important...that a championship rests on him.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

A Ray Allen.

Look at the team that lost to Miami. PP was playing through a strained knee ligament and Ray was hobbling around on bad ankles. Aside from that, our bench consisted of Steamer (foot problems in the postseason), Ryan Hollins, Keyon Dooling and Pietrus (still not over that concussion/neck injury IMO). Who would prefer that bench to Wilcox/Collins/Sully/Green/Terry/Lee/Barbosa?

pretty positive there was a thread that said they'd rather have that bench.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Well, one wouldn't blow up OKC because they are a young team with multiple more title runs in them.

The question is, will Boston be a title contender next season with an even older Pierce and an even older Kevin Garnett? Based on your answer to that - you either blow it up and keep it together.

I say blow it up.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

A Ray Allen.

I totally agree. If someone could tell me when Rondo became the ONLY factor in us winning a championship, please let me know. I must've missed something.

If anything, now I want to see them win that much more to stop all this abursdity about how the fate of the Celtics was in Rondo's hand. Come on!!

If it was KG that went down, then maybe I'd be singing a different tune as he's the true heart and soul of the team. But Rondo...not buying it

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

A Ray Allen.

I totally agree. If someone could tell me when Rondo became the ONLY factor in us winning a championship, please let me know. I must've missed something.

If anything, now I want to see them win that much more to stop all this abursdity about how the fate of the Celtics was in Rondo's hand. Come on!!

If it was KG that went down, then maybe I'd be singing a different tune as he's the true heart and soul of the team. But Rondo...not buying it

That's a fairly big admission on your part. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I do agree that losing KG > losing Rondo

From the basketball point of view and the locker room

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32

A Ray Allen.

No one said that Rondo guarantees a championship. Our chances are just greater with him

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

I must've been unclear in my argument because that wasn't my point at all. I never said Rondo isn't that important. I think my argument is for people who think Rondo is THAT important...that a championship rests on him.

Mmmm the championship went out the window when KG got hurt when we were trying to repeat but theres still games to be played and we even rallied to the second round....but any realistic shot at a title was over with that injury and now this year with rondos. its a team...we get it. when you lose a significant part of your team it hurts...our significant part and injury happens to be rondo.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

A Ray Allen.

That's a fairly big admission on your part.

It's basically me saying that I think the Celts stood just as good of a chance at winning a title without Rondo as they would've with him.