Author Topic: Trade Rondo for championship  (Read 11985 times)

Re: Trade Rondo for championship
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
LOL. I really really dont get whats going on.

with rondo very very few were confident in this team or winning a championship. He goes down for the year and we're getting these championship threads?

um....doesnt make any sense

Think of it as an "anti-blow up the whole darned thing" thread if you like.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If Bynum can come back and play this postseason, what about a trade based around Rondo for Bynum?  I'd expect it to be a 3 team deal sending Holiday somewhere and likely Bass or Sullinger somewhere as well, but just spit balling here.  It would surely put the celtics back into contention this season
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
LOL. I really really dont get whats going on.

with rondo very very few were confident in this team or winning a championship. He goes down for the year and we're getting these championship threads?

um....doesnt make any sense...

rondo going down for the year didnt make KG and pierce 10 years younger.

I think it's a fair point that the team operates better systematically without Rondo. More passing and ball movement, and less of Rondo's matador defense.

That being said, Rondo sets up his teammates incredibly well. Easy baskets will be harder to come by.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
If Bynum can come back and play this postseason, what about a trade based around Rondo for Bynum?  I'd expect it to be a 3 team deal sending Holiday somewhere and likely Bass or Sullinger somewhere as well, but just spit balling here.  It would surely put the celtics back into contention this season

You could make a case that Jrue Holiday is an elite point guard now. 19.4 and 8.9 is really good. I doubt he'd be traded - He's Philly's building block for the future now.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Tossing some names around,

Rondo for:

Okafor

Al Jefferson

Nene

I think that's worth thinking about straight-up for an injured Rondo.  Heartbreaking as it may be, we might have a shot this year if Danny's willing to roll the dice and there's a willing parter.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Tired of people underestimating Barbosa.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Rondo's trade value is now really, really low. 

Teams trading for him have to look at him as not being available until the 2014-2015 season.  (yes, I know there is a really good chance he will be back midway next season, but team have to look at worst case scenarios)

At that point, how many years are left on the contract?  One player option. 

So which "lotto" team in their right mind is going to trade for Rondo who may only play one season for them in the future and give up something significant?

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah Rondo would still have value, but not enough for the C's to consider parting with him.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 09:44:52 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Rondo's trade value is now really, really low. 

Teams trading for him have to look at him as not being available until the 2014-2015 season.  (yes, I know there is a really good chance he will be back midway next season, but team have to look at worst case scenarios)

At that point, how many years are left on the contract?  One player option. 

So which "lotto" team in their right mind is going to trade for Rondo who may only play one season for them in the future and give up something significant?

Think it depends a little on the severity of the injury, which is not yet clear.

I'll tell you one team I think would take a chance on Rondo: Dallas -- in part because they'd not take much risk in trading for him.

I could see Cuban trading Mayo (Player Option after this season he'll not take), Collison (RFA) and salary for Rondo. I could also see Ainge doing that deal (but only if the Cs keep Mayo's Bird Rights if he doesn't pick up his option -- can anyone clarify?).

As long as what Dallas takes back doesn't remove their ability to offer one max contract this offseason, I suspect Cuban would be all ears. It would make signing Howard more likely, IMO.

There's a few ways this could be done. Here are two versions -- I'd prefer V1 over V2, if Cuban would go there:

#1) http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bxfbq57

#2) http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=acd5ewl 

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Dallas doesn't have any bird rights for Mayo, just like with Posey. So if they were to trade him the team getting him would have no advantage in signing him. (at least beyond the non-bird exemption if that still exists in the new CBA)

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 09:46:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
don't think he literally meant to trade Rondo.

How bout you take a reading comprehension course, Vinnie?

::)

Actually, I did.

This season, he's out.  Next season, he's still recovering.

During that time, we have two seasons of KG, an allstar big, and a very nice surrounding cast that includes Pierce, a great #2 option at this stage.  The only thing we don't have (as Pierce ages) is a go-to scorer and a pure point guard.

We can live without a pure point guard.  Most teams, and many, many champions, do. 

At present, we have two defensive wonders and two recent former 6POYrs.  Maybe the shortened rotations will clarify things, and I think that group can jell.

We need an offensive closer in his prime more than anything else, either way.  The Miami win doesn't change that.  The injury just adds up to using Rondo, salary filler, a pick, and cash to make it happen.

Rondo, Bass, #1 for a max guy on a team that needs to rebuild.
and yet with all this supposed talent + Rondo, Boston is a below .500 team.  Don't you think that maybe just maybe you are significantly overrating how good Boston is/was.  Time to face reality, Boston was not going to win a title with Rondo and certainly is not going to without him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:23 AM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I also like this team. If we can move Bass and get another big body that can rebound then I think that is all we need to do right now.. I have a good feeling that Jeff Green is going to be a heavy contributor the rest of the way if Doc gives him 30 minutes a game.

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:13 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Cs play better withiut Rondo and this ia a fact...To be traded Rondo is too be healthy. is the 2nd time after 201011 season whwn he is out of season. Fragile player, and reason to trade him

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Cs play better withiut Rondo and this ia a fact...To be traded Rondo is too be healthy. is the 2nd time after 201011 season whwn he is out of season. Fragile player, and reason to trade him

Ha. Funny.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 07:10:25 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Let's do it. Trade Rondo.
His value won't be affected much.