Author Topic: Anybody think that was messed up what Doris Burke did?  (Read 3070 times)

Anybody think that was messed up what Doris Burke did?
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I was kinda shocked she broke the news to Paul in the post game interview. You could certainly tell by his reaction he didn't know yet.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Anybody think that was messed up what Doris Burke did was messed up?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I was kinda shocked she broke the news to Paul in the post game interview. You could certainly tell by his reaction he didn't know yet.

Yes, the messed up thing she did was very messed up. But, someone had to break the news to him.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What was she supposed to do?

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
no. that's her job. to ask those questions and get the reactions.

you don't think she would've loved to be in the locker room when they broke the news?
that's what they get the dough for.

Re: Anybody think that was messed up what Doris Burke did?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
As others said it is her job, and she got a great reaction for tv.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I thought it made for great television.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:18:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think the better practice would have been to focus on Paul's reaction to the game, and then ask about Rajon in the post-game conference.  Yes, it's a "scoop", but the classier thing to do would have been to let Doc or Rajon break the news to the team.

I understand the "great television" thing, but I'd rather not get my kicks at the expense of seeing another person pained.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I think the better practice would have been to focus on Paul's reaction to the game, and then ask about Rajon in the post-game conference.  Yes, it's a "scoop", but the classier thing to do would have been to let Doc or Rajon break the news to the team.

I understand the "great television" thing, but I'd rather not get my kicks at the expense of seeing another person pained.

I tend to agree with this.

I saw a tweet where it said, "everyone was celebrating in the locker room, Rondo broke the news, and every player out their head down."

I wouldn't want to see that.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It felt to me as if she didn't realize that he didn't know.  She seemed to be expecting a response about how he was thinking about Rondo's reported injury during the game.

It was reported earlier during the game that the team had been told, but that was later changed to confirmation only that the coaches had been told and it was uncertain if the players knew.

Has there been any report on whether or not she knew she was breaking the news to Pierce?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
It felt to me as if she didn't realize that he didn't know.  She seemed to be expecting a response about how he was thinking about Rondo's reported injury during the game.

It was reported earlier during the game that the team had been told, but that was later changed to confirmation only that the coaches had been told and it was uncertain if the players knew.

Has there been any report on whether or not she knew she was breaking the news to Pierce?

I'm pretty sure she was the one who reported that only coaches had been told, meaning she would have known that Pierce didn't know.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
No because a lot of people were wondering how Pierce and the other players felt about the situation.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

I'm pretty sure she was the one who reported that only coaches had been told, meaning she would have known that Pierce didn't know.

she knew. she didn't ask him how he felt about RR's injury, she told him THEN asked.

I mean that's what you do.

Reporters interviewed kids about a school shooting. It's just how it goes.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
what was the reaction you guys saw from Paul. Seemed to me he took it in stride... I could not tell he didnt already know.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

yea exactly, she was just giddy to be the first one to let Paul know. I know people who get joy out of breaking bad news to people, guess she's one of them. She clearly knew Doc was waiting to break the news until after the game.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Yes! Very messed up! Disclosing major news like this live in front of a national audience and expecting an immediate followup is pretty sleazy. Let Doc/the team tell him first and then go from there.