Author Topic: Danny Ainge on the Direction the C's will go  (Read 18645 times)

Re: Danny Ainge on the Direction the C's will go
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Send kg to the thunder and pierce to the clippers.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Send KG back to the T-wolves for Shved and Pekovich

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Hopefully we get a win streak and make no deals still!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Send Pierce to the mavs for Mayo and Kaveman

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If Ainge blows it up, it'll be the most idiotic move of his career as a GM.

and why's that? the chance at a title is clearly over, what's the point of keeping them together ?

It's not clearly over.  Nothing is over until the proverbial fat lady sings.

Maybe our guys get inspired by this and decide "were going to do this for Rondo", and suddenly everybody's effort level goes through the roof.

Maybe guys like Terry and Barbosa flourish with the extra role/minutes and elevate their games to vintage levels.

Maybe Green sees this as a sign that he needs to be the man to step up, and suddenly he gets some of the aggressive mentality that could push him towards a breakout season.

Maybe Danny makse a trade to get us a second key scorer (such as Gay or Mayo) and the change improves us as a team.

Maybe Doc increases the minutes for KG and Pierce a little, and having them on the court for an extra few minutes makes us that much stronger.

Reality is we just don't know right now how good this team can be without Rondo.  From memory we are now 3-1 so far this season in games we've played without him.  Obviously a small sample size, but I think 3 of those 4 games were against playoff calibre teams.

Either way, we will find out soon enough which way the teams goes.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

and why's that? the chance at a title is clearly over, what's the point of keeping them together ?

It's not clearly over.  Nothing is over until the proverbial fat lady sings.

Maybe our guys get inspired by this and decide "were going to do this for Rondo", and suddenly everybody's effort level goes through the roof.

Maybe guys like Terry and Barbosa flourish with the extra role/minutes and elevate their games to vintage levels.

Maybe Green sees this as a sign that he needs to be the man to step up, and suddenly he gets some of the aggressive mentality that could push him towards a breakout season.

Maybe Danny makse a trade to get us a second key scorer (such as Gay or Mayo) and the change improves us as a team.

Maybe Doc increases the minutes for KG and Pierce a little, and having them on the court for an extra few minutes makes us that much stronger.

Reality is we just don't know right now how good this team can be without Rondo.  From memory we are now 3-1 so far this season in games we've played without him.  Obviously a small sample size, but I think 3 of those 4 games were against playoff calibre teams.

Either way, we will find out soon enough which way the teams goes.

Looks like a lot of Maybe's to me.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0jm4snDOkk

Just think we should get any young prospects and picks that we can(only if they come with expiring contracts). PP and KG are gone after this year anyway IMO.Why not get some assets for them?

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's time, I agree.   I would give these guys a chance to go out a winner, they deserve it and we deserve the youth and lottery.   This was a great win today but I do not think it is the start of a trend.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38

But is there anything there to actually blow up? We are fighting for the 8th seed and just lost our best player. Our 2nd and 3rd best players are a year or two away from retirement.

Very succinct way of putting it.  Nothing would be "blown up" at this point.  If Ainge makes any moves now, they're for the future.  And, Ainge is paid to look at the present AND the future.

I can tell you this: Ainge cannot rebuild this team through the draft and free agency alone.  We don't have any good enough draft picks (and only one pick this year) and A-level talent is either re-signed or traded prior to free agency.  Over-paying guys like Josh Smith is not the answer.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

He deserves a chance at a ring. Send him to warriors with a returning bogut or to the clippers.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Just think we should get any young prospects and picks that we can(only if they come with expiring contracts). PP and KG are gone after this year anyway IMO.Why not get some assets for them?

Yes, that's the whole idea - because we have never seen this team play for a long stretch (more than 2 or 3 games) without Rondo, there is no possible way for us to be able to predict how we will do.

But my point is that unlike last season, this team is incredibly deep.  We have a LOT of talent on this roster which, to this point, has simply been underperforming.

If this team gives it 100% effort every night than we can beat any team out there, it's only a question of whether they will do that...or whether they will continue with lame effort.

Either way trading the only two guys who give us a shot at competing isn't the answer.

Pierce doesn't want to go to any other team - trade him and he would rather retire then play elsewhere, I'm sure of that. Ditto with KG.  Everyone is talking like it's the right thing by them to trade them to a contender, but do you honestly think they want to go elsewhere?

I think they'd rather fight this season out, then if it doesn't work think things over in the off-season and decide from there.

Last year we just didn't have enough talent to win without our big four in tact.  This season we do, we just lacked the motivation so far.

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I have zero expectation of Danny Ainge blowing this up.

I fully expect Ainge to ride this out.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 06:29:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
In other words, "I'm not going to be the guy who trades KG and Pierce for pennies on the dollar just because Rondo is out for the year."
(1) In order to get a nice big draft pick in the middle to top half of lottery

and,

(2) Get rid of all the long term contracts and enter this summer with a huge amount of cap space

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

Yes, that's the whole idea - because we have never seen this team play for a long stretch (more than 2 or 3 games) without Rondo, there is no possible way for us to be able to predict how we will do.

But my point is that unlike last season, this team is incredibly deep.  We have a LOT of talent on this roster which, to this point, has simply been underperforming.

If this team gives it 100% effort every night than we can beat any team out there, it's only a question of whether they will do that...or whether they will continue with lame effort.

Either way trading the only two guys who give us a shot at competing isn't the answer.

Pierce doesn't want to go to any other team - trade him and he would rather retire then play elsewhere, I'm sure of that. Ditto with KG.  Everyone is talking like it's the right thing by them to trade them to a contender, but do you honestly think they want to go elsewhere?

I think they'd rather fight this season out, then if it doesn't work think things over in the off-season and decide from there.

Last year we just didn't have enough talent to win without our big four in tact.  This season we do, we just lacked the motivation so far.

So you are saying without Rondo they still have enough talent to win? Win what? Win the 8th seed in the playoffs? They have 4 journeyman guards, two aging, former superstars, a power forward who can't get out of his own way, a small forward who had a great game today, but who has underachieved his entire career, as PF/center who is always injured, and a rookie PF who has tremendous potential. A decent team, but nothing to write home about.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

He deserves a chance at a ring. Send him to warriors with a returning bogut or to the clippers.

he already got a ring, he's not Barkley or Nash

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

trading Sullinger or Bradley would be dumb. Trading Pierce or KG is normal at this point if he can get decent value.

Forget value. Just get rid of them to get a better draft pick.

Plus, to get their contracts off the books. Both of which will create opportunities to add quality talent down the road. 

Edit: Sorry, I feel this was unclear. What I meant to say was that the main value in dumping Pierce and Garnett is not in what Danny directly receives for them but from what opportunities it will create further down the road -- with the improved draft position and cap flexibility.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 06:54:05 PM by Who »