Author Topic: If KG retires, and PP gets cut, C's could be in position to offer max next year  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Nope, KG won't come off the books as far as I know.

This.  You don't get out of a contract just because the player retires.

If a player formally retires with the league and decides to forego his remaining salary, his salary is removed from the books, I believe.

From what I see, illness or injury is required. But I see some language that insinuates payment towards the player at the discretion of the team.

So if we continue paying KG, that will count towards the salary cap. The faq is not very clear on the issue.

In a buyout a player gets paid the agreed amount. A player can retire at any time, which does 2 things: forfeits their income on the contract, and prevents them from being able to sign with another team.

Think about it this way:
-a player cannot sign a max deal then "retire" and still get paid.
-if a player loses their passion, they can walk away at any time, but they don't get paid for it.
-a player cannot 'retire' from a bad situation then just turn around and sign with a new team.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If a player formally retires with the league and decides to forego his remaining salary, his salary is removed from the books, I believe.

From what I see, illness or injury is required. But I see some language that insinuates payment towards the player at the discretion of the team.

So if we continue paying KG, that will count towards the salary cap. The faq is not very clear on the issue.

Yeah, as I understand it, only the amount actually paid to a player counts.

So, if a guy formally retired before July 1, his entire salary would come off the books.  If he retires after July 1, I think it depends upon the schedule upon which that player is paid (as some contracts accelerate payments to earlier in the season, I believe).  Any money actually paid to a player counts against the cap.

Here's how Larry Coon phrases it:

There's nothing binding about a player announcing his retirement. The player can still sign a new contract and continue playing (if he's not under contract), or return to his team (if he is still under contract) and resume his career.

The only exception to this is when a player is still under contract, wants to quit, and his team doesn't want to let him out of his contract. Under these circumstances the player can file for retirement with the league. The player is placed on the league's Voluntarily Retired list (see question number 77), forgoes his remaining salary, and cannot return to the league for one year. The latter requirement prevents players from using retirement as an underhanded way to change teams, and can be overridden with unanimous approval from all 30 teams.  ...

Any money paid to a player
is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired.

So, if no money is paid, nothing is included in team salary.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, as I understand it, only the amount actually paid to a player counts.

So, if a guy formally retired before July 1, his entire salary would come off the books.  If he retires after July 1, I think it depends upon the schedule upon which that player is paid (as some contracts accelerate payments to earlier in the season, I believe).  Any money actually paid to a player counts against the cap.

Here's how Larry Coon phrases it:

There's nothing binding about a player announcing his retirement. The player can still sign a new contract and continue playing (if he's not under contract), or return to his team (if he is still under contract) and resume his career.

The only exception to this is when a player is still under contract, wants to quit, and his team doesn't want to let him out of his contract. Under these circumstances the player can file for retirement with the league. The player is placed on the league's Voluntarily Retired list (see question number 77), forgoes his remaining salary, and cannot return to the league for one year. The latter requirement prevents players from using retirement as an underhanded way to change teams, and can be overridden with unanimous approval from all 30 teams.  ...

Any money paid to a player
is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired.

So, if no money is paid, nothing is included in team salary.

Interesting.  Thanks.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
No.  C's would have maybe 5 million once you account for all contracts, rookies, and cap holds.  Once again reiterating why this past summer was so bad.  30+ million signed in the poo poo platter of Terry, Green, Bass, and Lee.  Just a horrid off season all around.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No.  C's would have maybe 5 million once you account for all contracts, rookies, and cap holds.  Once again reiterating why this past summer was so bad.  30+ million signed in the poo poo platter of Terry, Green, Bass, and Lee.  Just a horrid off season all around.

That's why now it's so important to try to trade Terry and Bass at the deadline for ANY expiring contracts they can get for them.  That takes off another 11 million.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

That's why now it's so important to try to trade Terry and Bass at the deadline for ANY expiring contracts they can get for them.  That takes off another 11 million.
I think it will be very difficult to trade them for expiring contracts.  I came up with one that i think makes sense for the acquiring team.  Terry traded to Indiana for Augustin, but that is about the only one I could come up with.  The reality is those 4 guys are crap at their current contracts.  It was a terrible off season for Boston.  I hated it at the time and hate it even more now.  Frankly, I have no idea why Ainge was given such a pass by the media this past summer.  The writing was clearly on the wall that the 30+ million of floatsam was going to be bad signings. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I think it will be very difficult to trade them for expiring contracts.  I came up with one that i think makes sense for the acquiring team.  Terry traded to Indiana for Augustin, but that is about the only one I could come up with.  The reality is those 4 guys are crap at their current contracts.  It was a terrible off season for Boston.  I hated it at the time and hate it even more now.  Frankly, I have no idea why Ainge was given such a pass by the media this past summer.  The writing was clearly on the wall that the 30+ million of floatsam was going to be bad signings.

If they all had the seasons they had last year (and Green the season before) you wouldnt be saying this. Lee is playing well, Green is coming around. Unfortunately it looked like Bass was playing harder due to his contract year and Terry just hasnt fit yet. All of these guys play to their potential or to their numbers last year and theres no way you could say it was a crappy offseason.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Moranis given that you've wanted to entirely blow up Bobcats style for over a year you shouldn't be shocked when everyone doesn't see "the writing on the wall" with you in Boston among the fanbase and media.