Author Topic: Who said Doc isn't a great coach?  (Read 7908 times)

Re: Who said Doc isn't a great coach?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 02:30:54 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Keeping it simple.

I hope we do that after Rondo comes back.

If this continues Rondo won't be here next year. All the things this team has been doing well over the past three games CAN'T be done with Rondo. He slows things down, he gambles and relaxes on defense, he doesn't trust his teammates to handle the ball.

I'm with those who think it's Doc's playbook that dictated the Rondo-Celtic playstyle, not Rondo.

I don't think so at all.  You think Doc wanted only Rondo to have the ball all the time?  To use up so many possessions dribbling around while his teammates stand around doing nothing?  To not take advantage of the new speed he had on the wing by not passing the ball up ahead? If he did, he's one of the most incompetent, feckless coaches who has ever existed.  I think his biggest problem was that he couldn't rein in the ball hogging monster he created in Rondo.  He just let too much slide. 

I remember the first game Rondo returned from his two game suspension, he played the first quarter like I always hoped he would: throwing the ball up ahead, attacking, not being a ball stopper. I thought maybe he had learned something by watching his teammates play without him.  All that went away after his first rest as he went back to hogging the ball.

Doc is already on record as saying hes the reason rondo has the ball as much as he does so you can't deny its doc.

So if Rondo wanted to play differently, like say, throwing the ball up ahead once in awhile, or creating good ball movement in half court sets, Doc would have put a stop to it?  I don't think Doc is blameless in this matter. He saw the faults in his team and couldn't fix it.  I think his biggest failing was being blinded by Rondo's individual brilliance.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 02:48:09 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Why is it on the coach to instruct Rondo on the very basics of the game?  If Rondo doesn't know that ball movement and pushing the ball up ahead with the pass and keeping his teammates involved by getting them consistent touches is a good way to play basketball, that's on him. You shouldn't have to coach a player on that at this level. Everyone else on the Celtics seems to understand it.

Doc put a lot of faith in Rondo.  Rondo rewarded him by putting up great numbers.  He didn't however reward him by leading an efficient offense or giving a [dang] on defense most of the time.

I disagree, the longer a player is on the celtics the less they look to run.  The less they try to offensive rebound.  It is on the coaching staff.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 03:10:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Doc is good at managing personalities and giving motivational speeches.  He draws up some nice plays out of timeouts, and he's got a very effective defensive system.

I'm not a huge fan of his selection of lineups and rotations.  Nor do I think he's very good at coaching a team offensively.  Creative and flexible are not words I'd use to describe him.

I also doubt his ability to keep a team fully focused and engaged every night during the regular season.  Certainly nothing close to a coach like Thibs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 07:59:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Doc's rotations are still screwed up...

His offensive system looks much much better when people are actually moving the ball.

But his rotations have sucked since the start of the season, and they still do.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 08:06:43 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Doc's not a great coach... he's a good coach, but a great mentor.

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
You could hear him..."that's how you fight.  that's how you fight."

He's been a great coach all along.  The only difference tonight is that the players came together and gave a great effort.

OH. MY. GOODNESS. Have you not watched how doc coached OFFENSIVELY all this season up to now when rondo got hurt? Not attacking enough? not using players properly? using PP in iso at the end? not moving the ball enough? not posting up enough?That is NOT great coaching by any means.

The only reason it is happening now is because he has no choice. WHich is sad. It should have never come to this.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
If anything this shows how overrated doc is. He had the players to make it work but he wasn't making it work. Rondo wasn't the problem. Doc was the problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 09:05:08 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Why  couldn't he coach the team the same way when rondo was healthy? And don't tell me it was rondos fault...he was averaging more minutes then anyone in the league...doesn't sound like someone defying his coach.....all of a sudden with a limited roster his brain started working.

Doc isn't great

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Why is it on the coach to instruct Rondo on the very basics of the game?  If Rondo doesn't know that ball movement and pushing the ball up ahead with the pass and keeping his teammates involved by getting them consistent touches is a good way to play basketball, that's on him. You shouldn't have to coach a player on that at this level. Everyone else on the Celtics seems to understand it.

Doc put a lot of faith in Rondo.  Rondo rewarded him by putting up great numbers.  He didn't however reward him by leading an efficient offense or giving a [dang] on defense most of the time.

If doc wasn't satisfied with rondo "pounding the ball" why'd he give him more minutes then anybody? Cmon don't be silly....if he was so great he would've benched him

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

He's been a great coach all along.  The only difference tonight is that the players came together and gave a great effort.

He's been saying "that's how you fight" or "keep fighting" year after year in every game....kinda weird you think it makes him a good coach....by these standards I could coach the team

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I did.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I did.  Doc's a good coach, not a great one.  Now Pop, that's a great coach.

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'm with those who think it's Doc's playbook that dictated the Rondo-Celtic playstyle, not Rondo.
Yep, me too. I think Rondo would be perfectly comfortable and very effective in a less PG centric offense.

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Doc is a bad coach, even I caveman could do better. (Someone had that as their sig, I forgot who though...")
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Keeping it simple.

Agreed.

Everytime we have injuries, it facilitates Doc's rotation decisions - which is his biggest weakness.

How ironic.  The less available players, the better Doc rotations get/are.