Author Topic: Who said Doc isn't a great coach?  (Read 7889 times)

Re: Who said Doc isn't a great coach?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I don't get the Doc hate.

Somehow he couldn't coach before the big 3, then he turns into one of the best coaches in the league when we win it all, then he somehow forgets how to coach again, then we make a run in the playoffs so he is amazing again. Now he sucks again.

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
Keeping it simple.

Agreed.

Everytime we have injuries, it facilitates Doc's rotation decisions - which is his biggest weakness.

How ironic.  The less available players, the better Doc rotations get/are.

yep. I said this last night. Takes the guesswork out of it for him.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Somehow he couldn't coach before the big 3, then he turns into one of the best coaches in the league when we win it all, then he somehow forgets how to coach again, then we make a run in the playoffs so he is amazing again. Now he sucks again.

Sounds like you get it just fine.

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »

• Dennis Johnson

scroll back and read the thread again. The issues have been laid out here in detail ad infinitum. The bottom line is it is doc's responsibilty to tell the players to try something different or find something that works. not rondo pounding the ball slowly killing all ball movement and transition and not allowing others to create while the shot clock dwindles away. not posting up. not attacking enough. Was it too hard for doc to tell them this?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Personally, really liked how the team played hard for him prior to the big 3, even in our worst of seasons.

Thought he did a great job in the first year with the big 3. I've questioned his decision making a lot since then, until it culminated with the poor job he's done this season so far.

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

Let me change that then...

I don't get how fans can't see the correlation between winning and talent. While the coach remains the same.

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
You could hear him..."that's how you fight.  that's how you fight."

He's been a great coach all along.  The only difference tonight is that the players came together and gave a great effort.

So a statement makes a *great* Coach?  Words have meanings. I don't think Doc cracks the top 10 in coaching now. And not even the top 30 historically. He can Coach a very good team evidenced by the Big 3 1st year. He won't make a mediocre team better. Doc never got control of Rondo. We are better off without Rondo who has an over controlling ego problem directing a game. With all Rondo's assists when Allen left we became a 500 team. Now the same characters that weren't producing with Rondo are now. How is that explained?

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Personally, really liked how the team played hard for him prior to the big 3, even in our worst of seasons.

Thought he did a great job in the first year with the big 3. I've questioned his decision making a lot since then, until it culminated with the poor job he's done this season so far.

I'd say that the hardest working Celtics team we had were the Pitino Celtics.Unfortunately that was about the only thing I liked about them.

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

I'd say that the hardest working Celtics team we had were the Pitino Celtics.Unfortunately that was about the only thing I liked about them.

Full Court press baby!!

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
If anything this shows how overrated doc is. He had the players to make it work but he wasn't making it work. Rondo wasn't the problem. Doc was the problem.

as much as I'm trying to refrain from negativity during this injury plagued portion of the season, I have to agree with this. Doc is really just letting them play to their talents now. Doesn't mean he's a GREAT coach. Just means he had to finally adjust to what works for his talent...something he should've done a long time ago.

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Doc's post game interview

Re: How well Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa played together:
"We kind of let them play. I called the one time-out and they kept asking, ‘What are we running?’ I said, ‘I have no idea. Just go out and space the floor and play. And play through it. And I think Jason loves to play that way; I think LB clearly likes to play that way, and they just read each other extremely well. We try to keep them on the floor at the same time."

this has to be the comment of the year. haha

Is this all this guy says at huddles??

All kidding aside, without rondo it doesn't have to be rocket science anymore. Guys have so much freedom out there and they are executing harmoniously

That is a great coaching strategy in case you don't know

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Doc's post game interview

Re: How well Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa played together:
"We kind of let them play. I called the one time-out and they kept asking, ‘What are we running?’ I said, ‘I have no idea. Just go out and space the floor and play. And play through it. And I think Jason loves to play that way; I think LB clearly likes to play that way, and they just read each other extremely well. We try to keep them on the floor at the same time."

this has to be the comment of the year. haha

Is this all this guy says at huddles??

All kidding aside, without rondo it doesn't have to be rocket science anymore. Guys have so much freedom out there and they are executing harmoniously

That is a great coaching strategy in case you don't know

yeah, sad he did not let them do that when rondo was playing huh?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
OK so we fire Doc and replace him with who!? And I assume people think that coach would have done better in 09 without KG, won again in 10, been better than Doc and beat Miami in 11, and won again in 12?

CRAZY! Doc is the coach for this team and when he's gone , fans will realize how far superior Doc is to whoever is coaching the team at that time.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

scroll back and read the thread again. The issues have been laid out here in detail ad infinitum. The bottom line is it is doc's responsibilty to tell the players to try something different or find something that works. not rondo pounding the ball slowly killing all ball movement and transition and not allowing others to create while the shot clock dwindles away. not posting up. not attacking enough. Was it too hard for doc to tell them this?

I think he did tell them.  He talked about ball movement and passing the ball up ahead.  The problem was that the guy who dominated ball possession liked to play in the half court most of the time.  What else am I to infer from Rondo slow walking the ball so much, rarely passing the ball up ahead, calling so many set plays on offense, etc.  Could Doc have taken a harder line?  Maybe but Rondo had become too good to sit.  That's all beside the point anyway.  A point guard should not have to be told to create better ball movement. 

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
doc is a great coach, plain and simple. however, his strengths are better suited for veteran teams. 

to anyone who thinks he isn't a good coach, im sure if you asked every organization if they would like having doc as their coach, virtually every team would say "yes".