Author Topic: Who said Doc isn't a great coach?  (Read 7904 times)

Who said Doc isn't a great coach?
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
You could hear him..."that's how you fight.  that's how you fight."

He's been a great coach all along.  The only difference tonight is that the players came together and gave a great effort. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: Who said Doc isn't a great coach?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I loved those "Wired" segments....
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Doc's post game interview

Re: How well Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa played together:
"We kind of let them play. I called the one time-out and they kept asking, ‘What are we running?’ I said, ‘I have no idea. Just go out and space the floor and play. And play through it. And I think Jason loves to play that way; I think LB clearly likes to play that way, and they just read each other extremely well. We try to keep them on the floor at the same time."

this has to be the comment of the year. haha

Is this all this guy says at huddles??

All kidding aside, without rondo it doesn't have to be rocket science anymore. Guys have so much freedom out there and they are executing harmoniously

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:05:19 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Keeping it simple.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:44:56 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Outside of the championship season, the team has always outperformed expectations going into the playoffs (and we weren't favored against the Lakers either in those Finals either). Doc deserves a great deal of credit for that and for a team in the depleted situation that we are in now, I'd rather have him than even Pops. He's a great motivator.  There's now way we should have gotten to 7 games against MIA last year with Pierce and Ray playing hurt, AB injured, and without one legit bench scorer. (OTOH, give Doc 13 competent players that can play in the NBA and we'll see 10,000 different combinations as he searches for the "best" possible solution).

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:47:01 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Keeping it simple.

I hope we do that after Rondo comes back.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:22:20 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Keeping it simple.

If this continues Rondo won't be here next year. All the things this team has been doing well over the past three games CAN'T be done with Rondo. He slows things down, he gambles and relaxes on defense, he doesn't trust his teammates to handle the ball.

I DID
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:32:58 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
how does this make him a great coach?

He has had these same players all year and he did not know how to use them. His failure to utilize the talent given to him by the GM for the better part of the season prompted many here to call for trades and blow up scenarios. Now all of a sudden two players go down and Doc is forced to actually PLAY the players at his disposal and LET them play, and yall think he is great. Okaaaaay

When we won the Chip in 2008 Doc lucked out in the final against the Lakers because foul trouble and injuries made him play folks like Powe and Posey that allowed the Cs to win.

Doc definitely would still be struggling now if Rondo had not gone down.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:36:16 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Keeping it simple.

If this continues Rondo won't be here next year. All the things this team has been doing well over the past three games CAN'T be done with Rondo. He slows things down, he gambles and relaxes on defense, he doesn't trust his teammates to handle the ball.

I'm with those who think it's Doc's playbook that dictated the Rondo-Celtic playstyle, not Rondo.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:59:49 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Lol yeah, it only took the best player on the team to go down before doc finally gets that rondo pounding the ball isn't the way to go. Hell, for all we know he still doesn't get it.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 02:01:15 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
If anything this shows how overrated doc is. He had the players to make it work but he wasn't making it work. Rondo wasn't the problem. Doc was the problem.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:12:30 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Keeping it simple.

I'm with those who think it's Doc's playbook that dictated the Rondo-Celtic playstyle, not Rondo.

I don't think so at all.  You think Doc wanted only Rondo to have the ball all the time?  To use up so many possessions dribbling around while his teammates stood around doing nothing?  To not take advantage of the new speed he had on the wing by not passing the ball up ahead? If he did, he's one of the most incompetent, feckless coaches who has ever existed.  I think his biggest problem was that he couldn't rein in the ball hogging monster he created in Rondo.  He just let too much slide. 

I remember the first game Rondo returned from his two game suspension, he played the first quarter like I always hoped he would: throwing the ball up ahead, attacking, not being a ball stopper. I thought maybe he had learned something by watching his teammates play without him.  All that went away after his first rest as he went back to hogging the ball.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 02:14:31 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Keeping it simple.

I don't think so at all.  You think Doc wanted only Rondo to have the ball all the time?  To use up so many possessions dribbling around while his teammates stand around doing nothing?  To not take advantage of the new speed he had on the wing by not passing the ball up ahead? If he did, he's one of the most incompetent, feckless coaches who has ever existed.  I think his biggest problem was that he couldn't rein in the ball hogging monster he created in Rondo.  He just let too much slide. 

I remember the first game Rondo returned from his two game suspension, he played the first quarter like I always hoped he would: throwing the ball up ahead, attacking, not being a ball stopper. I thought maybe he had learned something by watching his teammates play without him.  All that went away after his first rest as he went back to hogging the ball.

Doc is already on record as saying hes the reason rondo has the ball as much as he does so you can't deny its doc.

Re: I DID
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 02:16:10 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
how does this make him a great coach?

He has had these same players all year and he did not know how to use them. His failure to utilize the talent given to him by the GM for the better part of the season prompted many here to call for trades and blow up scenarios. Now all of a sudden two players go down and Doc is forced to actually PLAY the players at his disposal and LET them play, and yall think he is great. Okaaaaay

When we won the Chip in 2008 Doc lucked out in the final against the Lakers because foul trouble and injuries made him play folks like Powe and Posey that allowed the Cs to win.

Doc definitely would still be struggling now if Rondo had not gone down.

I co-sign the first paragraph and last sentence.

Doc has had the players and pieces all year.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 02:23:26 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Why is it on the coach to instruct Rondo on the very basics of the game?  If Rondo doesn't know that ball movement and pushing the ball up ahead with the pass and keeping his teammates involved by getting them consistent touches is a good way to play basketball, that's on him. You shouldn't have to coach a player on that at this level. Everyone else on the Celtics seems to understand it.

Doc put a lot of faith in Rondo.  Rondo rewarded him by putting up great numbers.  He didn't however reward him by leading an efficient offense or giving a [dang] on defense most of the time.