Poll

Are we still CHAMPIONSHIP contenders?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Are we still CHAMPIONSHIP contenders?  (Read 10440 times)

Re: Are we still CHAMPIONSHIP contenders?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why is this still a thread.

No.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

No.

Because they do not magically disappear when we do not like the topic. 

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

No.

I guess I'm just shocked that this is even a question that fairly reasonable people would debate. 

I suppose I'm with vinnie on this one.  People surprise you at times with their capacity for irrational thinking.  Especially when it comes to being a fan.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
There are no other options. Can we win it all or not?

I say "Yes". Who's with me?!

NO, not without a legit BIG MAN. we may also need a PG. not sure if JET and Lee and the blur can tackle that the rest of the year.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

No.

I guess I'm just shocked that this is even a question that fairly reasonable people would debate. 

I suppose I'm with vinnie on this one.  People surprise you at times with their capacity for irrational thinking.  Especially when it comes to being a fan.

True, some guys just can't help themselves.

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

No.

2/3 of all voters said "no"

1/3 of Celtics fans on here still keep hope.  I find nothing wrong with that.  I would be more disappointed if no one had hope left.

(vote is at 40 no to 20 yes at the time of this post)

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2013, 12:43:25 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Yes.  Still.  Celtics were a contender before...how many times do we have to see them "shockingly" awaken in the playoffs right around the time our best player goes from 30 mpg in reg season to 37 mpg in playoffs before we realize that there is some causation there?  Also, the team was always going to finish stronger once the old-heads got the finish line in sight/the young-heads were fully integrated to their roles on the team.

Barring a KG injury or team-shaking trade, Celts finish at worst 26 - 12 over last 38 games.

How?

Bradley/Lee/Pierce/Sully/KG dominates defensively

Offensively, dirty secret...lots of individual offensive talent on this team. One problem before is that Terry/Lee/Pierce all better with ball in their hands than spotting up. Terry and Barbosa needed more consistent minutes. Sully better offense creator than Bass, didnt need to be spoonfed the jumpers like Bass did. Pierce/KG/Sully one of best passing frontcourts in NBA, takes playmaking burden off of Bradley and Lee.

Offensive summary: Rondo is one of the best spoon-feeding passers in the league, on a team where the talent doesn't fit the spot-up rolls he needs.  The downgrade of Ray as a lightening quick spot-up shooter (even over contest) from deep and the absence of Brandon Bass's jumper combined to severely limit the offensive ceiling of the style of play that we were playing.  It'd be a lot to ask KG and Pierce to do it on their own offensively at this stage, but if the supporting pieces work better in the new paradigm they should have the support they need.

Bottom line prediction: offense improves marginally, defense improves significantly, Celtics no worse than 26 - 12 down stretch.  Still a contender.

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

No.

2/3 of all voters said "no"

1/3 of Celtics fans on here still keep hope.  I find nothing wrong with that.  I would be more disappointed if no one had hope left.

(vote is at 40 no to 20 yes at the time of this post)

I'd imagine that a Wizards poll on a Wizards blog would have similar voting results.