Author Topic: Jeff Green's best game of the year  (Read 6344 times)

Re: Jeff Green's best game of the year
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I was shocked at how well he played defensively against him.  He's never shown this ability before and I have no idea where it came from, but I am pumped.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 05:37:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I was shocked at how well he played defensively against him.  He's never shown this ability before and I have no idea where it came from, but I am pumped.

I've been a big supporter of Green's defense this year, and I've always liked his defense on Carmelo, but I've had zero confidence on Green's defense on LeBron. A big surprise at his effectiveness today. Don't know if it's sustainable, but it was nice to see. Also, I wonder if the small line up affects it any.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
LeBron was sleep walking and still had the stat line he had.

lol, he most definitely wasn't sleep-walking.  LeBron was aggressive all night, and he was hitting contested shots all over the place. 

I'll say it again:  Green's defense helped most in the shots that LeBron didn't take, both from the field and from the line.  Nobody was stopping LeBron from having a solid shooting night tonight.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

I've been a big supporter of Green's defense this year, and I've always liked his defense on Carmelo, but I've had zero confidence on Green's defense on LeBron. A big surprise at his effectiveness today. Don't know if it's sustainable, but it was nice to see. Also, I wonder if the small line up affects it any.

That's where I've been too, particularly uncomfortable with him guarding Lebron.  I was shocked that Pierce wasn't the one guarding Lebron on the last couple possessions when most important considering his past success doing so.  Huge vote of confidence from Doc there in Jeff Green.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 06:38:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Green's offense was okay, his rebounding was terrible, but his defense on LeBron all game, making Bron work for his points (not that you could tell from LeBron's stat line), that was super encouraging. The sustained work on defense, very impressive.

How was his rebounding terrible?

I think he only had about 4 rebounds, but he fought hard for a few of those and really battled. If he always rebounded with the aggression that he did today I'd be thrilled.

He had 4 boards in 40 minutes. That's pretty terrible.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Do we call out KG like that when he only has 4 rebounds? I love the double standard on this board!!!:-(((

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Look there's always room for improvement, especially with how physically gifted this guy is, but he's building a foundation.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Solid defense!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 07:31:07 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Do we call out KG like that when he only has 4 rebounds? I love the double standard on this board!!!:-(((

are you new here? lol
JG scored 17 against Hawks, people asked why he couldn't score 20? LOL

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Absolutely, if KG has a bad rebounding game, people say he had a bad rebounding game.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Green's offense was okay, his rebounding was terrible, but his defense on LeBron all game, making Bron work for his points (not that you could tell from LeBron's stat line), that was super encouraging. The sustained work on defense, very impressive.

How was his rebounding terrible?

I think he only had about 4 rebounds, but he fought hard for a few of those and really battled. If he always rebounded with the aggression that he did today I'd be thrilled.

He had 4 boards in 40 minutes. That's pretty terrible.

Jeff did have a particularly poor game rebounding I noticed.  It was to the point where KG came out and challenged a shot in the lane (Wade?) toward the end of the game and I thought "why did kg do that?  now pierce is our only other player capable of grabbing the board?"  (that was the possession that pierce got "pushed" according to hubie and lebron got the o-board and a bucket.

EDIT:  I should add that I was still extremely happy with his defense today!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:43:48 PM by action781 »

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
As someone who has been a strong Jeff Green hater, he showed a lot today and the last few games. His defense was fantastic today, as it was on Melo a few days ago. Remember last year when Bass tried to guard Lebron, who just ended up shooting free throws all day and night? Green did a commendable job on him today.

He still has some serious flaws, poor rebounding, limited moves on offense, but I have been really impressed with his play over the last few games. Slowly, I'm starting to (kind of) see why Ainge made the investment he did.

It was interesting to see him at PF down the stretch today. Worked well against a small ball team like Miami. He is really becoming a solid defender. Very happy to see that.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 11:25:43 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
If you can "hold" LeBron to only 34 points on 31 shots, I don't care how many rebounds you get. 

The key to the win was Green and AB making LeBron and Wade work for their points.  Together they took only 11 Fts in 99 minutes, and Wade shot 6-20 for only 17 points. 

Green was all man today.  I wish he'd play like this on a nightly basis.   

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
With Rondo out, It's finally time to START GREEN!