Author Topic: Who will step up? Who will look worse?  (Read 1492 times)

Who will step up? Who will look worse?
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rondo was the focal point of our offense.  He had the ball in his hands 90% of the time (or at least it seemed that way).

In Rondo's absence, who could potentially take on a bigger role and so look better?

Who was dependent on Rondo's ability to get them the ball in their favorite spots and will therefore look worse?

I think Jason Terry, Barbosa, and Lee all may look better without Rondo simply because they'll get more minutes and more opportunities to have the ball in their hands.  Not saying we'll be better off, but that those guys may look more comfortable overall.

I think Bass and Garnett will be affected most negatively by Rondo's absence, especially on the offensive end.  Both Bass and Garnett are very dependent on Rondo to find them open for their bread and butter mid-range Js.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Who will step up? Who will look worse?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I expect the emergence of Courtney Lee.

I'm not as high on Barbosa as every one else seems to be. I don't expect much from Jet either but he may surprise me.

Bass couldn't possibly look worse but yeah, KG and perhaps PP will be affected.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Bradley will both step up and look worse at the same time.

Bradley will step into a larger role and should do well with his defensive pressure at PG.

However, Bradley will also do worse offensively at PG without Rondo setting him up for easy shots. Less off the ball cuts. Less corner threes. More jumpers at the top of the key. So his FG% will likely decrease hugely.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think Pierce sees the largest boost offensively simply because he'll have the ball in his hands more often. Probable decline efficiency wise though.

The ball will run through the big men more often. The team won't be able to be PG centric. So I'd expect KG and Sully to be a lot more involved as passers. As, somewhat, seen today against Miami. So I'd expect KG and Sully to take larger roles offensively (primarily as facilitators). 

I think Jason Terry and Barbosa will also benefit from increased minutes available in the backcourt. Both players should see more playing time.

I would also expect peripheral scorers like Terry and Green to see more of the ball without Rondo around and will hopefully be more consistent with their own responsibilities offensively.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Celtics depth will absorb Rondo loss. His rebounding will be missed the most. Rondo assists are overrated because the ball is stuck to him, and he only score a measly about 13 point a game.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Who could step up
1. Terry
2. Bradley
3. Barbosa

Who will play worse
1. Bass
2. Wilcox
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
None of the guards really play all that well with Rondo except for Bradley.

I think all the perimeter players will do better without Rondo there.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If ever there was a year for Rondo to get injured... this was probably the best one for it.  We tend to win when he sits out anyways and this team is loaded at the guard spot.  I like what Rondo brings... he's an excellent passer, but we stocked this team up with plenty of undersized scoring guards and if they can share the ball we probably will continue on the same mediocre trajectory we were already heading.  8th seed and out either way if we don't land a big.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If ever there was a year for Rondo to get injured... this was probably the best one for it.  We tend to win when he sits out anyways and this team is loaded at the guard spot.  I like what Rondo brings... he's an excellent passer, but we stocked this team up with plenty of undersized scoring guards and if they can share the ball we probably will continue on the same mediocre trajectory we were already heading.  8th seed and out either way if we don't land a big.

Well, I guess that's the question.

Now that there is truly no hope of this team winning a championship this season, is there value in making the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed anyway?

Would we rather have a lottery pick which will probably be a Fab Melo type project or do we want our younger guys to get more playoff experience?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 04:29:45 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
This team is built for the Heat and for this possibility. The question is who will feed Wilcox and Garnett at the rim. If Terry can get his outside shooting going we will be fine. Defensively we will improve. Rebounding is still a question mark. Team has not played consistently. If they can give these guys (Terry, Lee, Barbosa, Bradley, Green, Sulinger) more regular minutes, I think they will all improve and step up their game.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Barbosa will step up.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
bass couldn't possibly look worse but he will
wilcox's game will suffer without rondo

terry  ??? boy i wish he'd step up

step ups
barbosa
lee
green

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Yeah, I think Bass will suffer without Rondo or some replacement guard who provides some dribble penetration. I see a lot of low to medium percentage in Bass' future.