Author Topic: How will the injury affect Rondo moving forward?  (Read 2081 times)

How will the injury affect Rondo moving forward?
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
To what extent does Rondo rely on speed and athleticism?  Will he be a step slower?

I'm very concerned that we may have missed the opportunity to get real value for Rondo while he was still healthy and in his prime.  If he's significantly lessened post-injury, which is conceivable, the Celtics are in a much worse position in terms of rebuilding.

We won't know until he steps on the floor next season.  But this is very concerning.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:53:07 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: How will the injury affect Rondo moving forward?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
lol

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Despite the obvious impact on athleticism, players coming back from torn ACLs have generally maintained their performance in the "hustle" statistics--rebounding actually up slightly, steals and blocks similar. The change is most evident in their scoring numbers, as players coming back from torn ACLs tend to use fewer possessions and are much less efficient. They also play fewer minutes and tend to miss more time, playing in 75.7 percent of their teams' games after returning.

From Kevin Pelton (Basketball Prospectus)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
lol

Lol, indeed.

This thread is really pathetic.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hard to say...

Medicine has come a long way.  Adrian Peterson just came within 9 yards of the single season rushing record fresh off a complete rebuild of his knee.

Up to Rondo on how hard he works to rehab the knee.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Hard to say...

Medicine has come a long way.  Adrian Peterson just came within 9 yards of the single season rushing record fresh off a complete rebuild of his knee.

yup rondo just needs a good treatment of some HGH like peterson  ;)

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Hard to say...

This. It's not a sure thing, but players absolutely can come back at full strength from an ACL tear.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
lol

Lol, indeed.

Why is it? There are no PG's on the trade block, free agency (CP3 isn't leaving), or anywhere else. Rondo coming back from ACL surgery is our best choice at PG. Why not wonder what he's going to contribute coming back? Besides if you thought the C's had a shot at the title this year your blind.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is what I'm concerned about.  Some fans are almost celebrating this injury, because they think it will accelerate our rebuilding.  I worry that an injury to Rondo that affects his athleticism will significantly hinder us going forward. 

Regardless of whether the plan was to build around Rondo or to trade him for young pieces, this can't help.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
lol

Lol, indeed.

I don't understand the humor.  Torn ACLs are serious business.  How Rondo's game will be affected by the injury in the future will have an enormous affect on the team.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
lol

Lol, indeed.

Why is it? There are no PG's on the trade block, free agency (CP3 isn't leaving), or anywhere else. Rondo coming back from ACL surgery is our best choice at PG. Why not wonder what he's going to contribute coming back? Besides if you thought the C's had a shot at the title this year your blind.

Nice how you interpreted the entire meaning of a simple "lol". I lol'd because if I said what I really wanted to say, I would be banned.

I will say you couldn't possibly be more off base.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
This is what I'm concerned about.  Some fans are almost celebrating this injury, because they think it will accelerate our rebuilding.  I worry that an injury to Rondo that affects his athleticism will significantly hinder us going forward. 

Regardless of whether the plan was to build around Rondo or to trade him for young pieces, this can't help.

The one positive is that this happened before the trade deadline rather than after it, so at least the team has the ability to make moves before the trade deadline with revised priorities in mind.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yep, it's definitely worrying.

No way to know until Rondo comes back and even then it might take a full year before he is fully up to speed after an injury like that.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

The one positive is that this happened before the trade deadline rather than after it, so at least the team has the ability to make moves before the trade deadline with revised priorities in mind.

Sincerely hope that Ainge doesn't make a panic move, and give up too much to get a PG.

Next few weeks will be interesting, to see how the team plays. I wonder how the offense will run through Lee, Pierce, Barbosa, Bradley, and Terry at various points.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
lol

Lol, indeed.

I don't understand the humor.  Torn ACLs are serious business.  How Rondo's game will be affected by the injury in the future will have an enormous affect on the team.

I'm not laughing at the injury. I'm laughing at the patheticness of this thread. The kid's season is over, can we take a moment to feel bad for him as opposed to automatically thinking "we should've traded him".
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman