Author Topic: Confirmed report: Rondo has torn acl, out for the year  (Read 19312 times)

Re: Confirmed report: Rondo has torn acl, out for the year
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This better without Rondo stuff is mind boggling. The Clippers were able to keep winning without Chris Paul. Does that mean they are better without him? The Bulls. No Rose. Still a solid ball club. Does that mean they're better without him? No.

When a big part of your team goes out the rest of the team steps up and plays harder to make up for it. I think we'll be okay and I do not think the season's over but better? IMO, no. Different? Yes. We will surprise a lot of people.

I think the main difference for us without Rondo is that guys like Lee get to showcase their talents a bit more. Rondo is a great passer, but the team, on the whole, becomes more complacent waiting for him to make a dazzling pass.

I'm disappointed Rondo is out for the year, and hate to see anyone from our team go down. But this will be interesting to see what they choose to do down the stretch, especially after pulling out a win against the defending champs. I personally think we need to get a center, or maximize our assets from a win like this and get some available younger talent.

agreed. And after tonight's game , i guess Ainge has probably made up his mind that Pierce is going nowhere this year. He played better tonight without Rondo.

Much more involved, especially with his passing. He was definitely a pt pg tonight.

I would still consider trading him for the right pieces, but if we keep playing the way we did without rondo vs knicks and tonight, lets just keep going and winning

« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Am I the only one who sees Pierce as good as gone after Rondo's injury?

I doubt you are the only one.  But my guess is they take a deep breath for a few days, consider options, and then (perhaps) ask Pierce and KG if they pefer to gut this out or prefer Danny to find a trade with a near-contender.  Not that it's up to PP or KG, but I think DA saves himself public relations nightmares if he speaks to them in advance.

Trades still need to be favorable.  Danny may be happy to let the contracts age another year and see if he can put together a winner WITH KG and Pierce (and RR) next year. 

Would need to get back some serious young talent and picks to trade PP or KG.

« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This we will be better stuff is mind boggling. The Clippers were able to keep winning without Chris Paul. Does that mean they are better without him? The Bulls. No Rose. Still a solid, ball club. Does that mean they're better without him? No.

When a big part of your team goes out the rest of the team steps up and plays harder to make up for it. I think we'll be okay and I do not think the season's over but better? IMO, no. Different? Yes.

We are 2-0 against two top teams without Rondo for a reason. Don't let Rondo's triple doubles fool you. His defense especially is really hard to watch. He has the speed to be as good as Bradley, but no discipline to focus on them from the beginning to the end of a possession. It has seriously hurt us enough times, especially late in the games.

Also on the offensive end, its not so much his lack of consistent shooting, but also endless dribbling in one spot, walking the ball up lazily to the offensive end, and only passing it to kg/pp when the game is on the line. Its not even good passes, just silly telegraphed lobs.

Rondo is a good pg, no doubt. But not for our team. Not anymore. He might fit better for a team like Denver or Knicks , who love to play high octane offense. Would be perfect for the fakers.

Without rondo, you get a suffocating defensive tandem in Lee and Bradley. Watch what happened to wade tonight. Defense is almost as good as scoring. And the ball was passed around more , giving better opportunity for everyone on the court to score or contribute somehow.

Unfortunately I'm not willing to go back and forth with you on this. We'll have to agree to  disagree.

I'll only add this then I'm done too: Paul Pierce found about Rondo post game on live TV. In that moment, the look on his face spoke volumes - our season is done.

People will look at the game against the Knicks as some sort of indictment, but anytime the opposition's best player has a complete meltdown, you'll be in the game. Lets not forget that in Friday's rematch, it was Rondo who took over in the 4th quarter to get us within striking distance.  As far as today's game, it took double overtime and a Paul Pierce triple double to barely get the win.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This we will be better stuff is mind boggling. The Clippers were able to keep winning without Chris Paul. Does that mean they are better without him? The Bulls. No Rose. Still a solid, ball club. Does that mean they're better without him? No.

When a big part of your team goes out the rest of the team steps up and plays harder to make up for it. I think we'll be okay and I do not think the season's over but better? IMO, no. Different? Yes.

We are 2-0 against two top teams without Rondo for a reason. Don't let Rondo's triple doubles fool you. His defense especially is really hard to watch. He has the speed to be as good as Bradley, but no discipline to focus on them from the beginning to the end of a possession. It has seriously hurt us enough times, especially late in the games.

Also on the offensive end, its not so much his lack of consistent shooting, but also endless dribbling in one spot, walking the ball up lazily to the offensive end, and only passing it to kg/pp when the game is on the line. Its not even good passes, just silly telegraphed lobs.

Rondo is a good pg, no doubt. But not for our team. Not anymore. He might fit better for a team like Denver or Knicks , who love to play high octane offense. Would be perfect for the fakers.

Without rondo, you get a suffocating defensive tandem in Lee and Bradley. Watch what happened to wade tonight. Defense is almost as good as scoring. And the ball was passed around more , giving better opportunity for everyone on the court to score or contribute somehow.

Unfortunately I'm not willing to go back and forth with you on this. We'll have to agree to  disagree.

I'll only add this then I'm done too: Paul Pierce found about Rondo post game on live TV. In that moment, the look on his face spoke volumes - our season is done.

People will look at the game against the Knicks as some sort of indictment, but anytime the opposition's best player has a complete meltdown, you'll be in the game. Lets not forget that in Friday's rematch, it was Rondo who took over in the 4th quarter to get us within striking distance.  As far as today's game, it took double overtime and a Paul Pierce triple double to barely get the win.
What did Pierce's face say? All I READ INTO it was that he empathized and thought how horrible it is for Rondo. You too are just reading into his facial expression.

And, really, using something so completely ambiguous as as evidence for your point in a disagreement? Are our standards really that low?

Anyone can conveniently pick their data points to try to support their opinion. Only time will tell regarding our team without Rondo. Terry should benefit a lot offensively from Rondo's absence, as will Barbosa. It is not clear to me who else would benefit.

Defense is a different story. We really need to see what will happen. Lee & Bradley will probably be a more disciplined backcourt defensively than Rondo & Bradley.

Playing without Rondo might also lead to a more tired Pierce, since he might end up with the ball a lot more as a playmaker. Green didn't seem to miss Rondo today. As great as Rondo is, it does not mean that there aren't players who aren't hurt by his particular style of play.

« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

My friend, its the freaking heat we played. Not bobcats.

You think Rondo would of made a big difference? You think while bradley locksdown Wade, Rondo would of done the same against Allen?

I understand how good Rondo can be, and how he is considered our heart and soul, but people have to see it from a different angle too. With Rondo, we have been going on brutal losing streaks. Its not all on him but he is a HUGE part of it. 

We will be a better team moving forward.

« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
THIS...is why i say get fab melo into the mix....why....what if kg goes down.....rondo is a lot younger and he got hurt...that is how it goes......gotta have a plan B.....as in backup.....train/teach melo now...what better teacher than kg......doc is so short sighted....

« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Get well, Rajon!

This must be tough for him, but he'll be back.

« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
This is docs team as in a "guard" team..we have plenty of guards...i LOVE rondo...but we have courtney, avery.....barbosa....who is our backup center.....???

« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Beyond hysterical. The Celtics are a better team without a point guard who supposedly was in the top 20 for league MVP. Add to that that they do not even have another point guard on the roster and I would say start putting their name on the championship trophy now.   ::)

« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Beyond hysterical. The Celtics are a better team without a point guard who supposedly was in the top 20 for league MVP. Add to that that they do not even have another point guard on the roster and I would say start putting their name on the championship trophy now.   ::)

How about becoming hysterical bc with a top considered pg, we go on embarrassing losing streaks??

How about without him, we play better defense, share the ball more on offense and are 2-0 now against two of best teams in the league?

« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

How about becoming hysterical bc with a top considered pg, we go on embarrassing losing streaks??

How about without him, we play better defense, share the ball more on offense and are 2-0 now??

I love the insanity of Celticsblog.com!

« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

How about without him, we play better defense, share the ball more on offense and are 2-0 now against two of best teams in the league?

Funny how you're neglecting losses to Golden State and Milwaukee this season without Rondo.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Rondo probably would have played tonight if they'd let him. Surely isn't perfect but has a ton of heart.

I don't think the celtics are missing the playoffs. I hear what some dudes are saying about other guards getting their minutes and the D being tighter etc.

I do not think there's any way the C's are better without Rondo. But even if you do, Rondo is a BEAST in the playoffs. He's the reason I thought there was SOME shot at a Banner if they could just get into the playoffs, even as an 8th seed.

« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Funny how you're neglecting losses to Golden State and Milwaukee this season without Rondo.

We didn't even have Bradley and Lee was still trying to get comfortable in the lineup.

Listen we beat probably the best team in the league tonight. We also beat a really tough new york knicks team, who got their revenge on us a few games ago. We will be very hard to beat , i don't care against who it is.

« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Also did anyone watch Rondo's face after we won the game?? I mean what is that expression exactly.

Didn't look very happy to me.

I question rondo if its 100 percent about the team sometimes.