Author Topic: Doc is overrated  (Read 15446 times)

Re: Doc is overrated
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
When people start complaining about Doc, no one ever gives me a list when I ask which current NBA head coaches they would trade Doc for if they could.  (This is me asking again, BTW.)
Thibbs, Collins, Mchale, Carlisle, Mark Jackson, Brooks, Popovich, Hollins.

guys not currently coaching...Sloan and JVG.
you'd trade doc for mark jackson? ****

As a player, coach, guy covering the game...yes to all.

I was never a big Doc supporter but its almost like he is mentally checked out when I watch these games lately.  He is not doing a good job with the things he can control.
He also put Darko in the dog house to lose him as an option to give KG some rest and Rondo some decent protection.

Doc has a lot of charisma but is not a great basketball coach.  He prefers not to play guys who need coaching.

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2013, 03:38:42 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
To those defending Doc saying the roster is too darn old - how about them Spurs?

TD is their only player over 30 playing more than 24 minutes a game.

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Has anyoe mentioned Danny himself. He was a much better coach than Doc. IMO.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2013, 09:41:51 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
To those defending Doc saying the roster is too darn old - how about them Spurs?

TD is their only player over 30 playing more than 24 minutes a game.

...and the Spurs mirror the Celtics (or the other way round) almost perfectly.

Not everybody can do it (make a roster with incredible depth and old superstars one of the best teams) but it's certainly not impossible.

Just pointing that out to those who arduously slam the current roster. It's an underachieving roster, not the Bobcats.

But at the same time, I also said that it's not easy to manage something like this, for those who put all the blame on Doc. Pop is like a top 10 coach?

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Doc is great at player relationships but tactically he is only as good as his players and small ball does not work.

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
All coaches are overrated. If anyone says Phil JAckson isn't overrated then you're crazy. In the end it's about players. Sure they need guidance and leadership (both of which I believe Doc is incredible at), but in the end players play.

Doc can't help it that KG can only play 2 1/2 qtrs. now. He can't help it that Pierce can't carry the team anymore and Rondo is unwilling too.

This isn't Doc's fault. In fact, ugh gross, I shutter to think of what this team would look like right now without Doc.

Phil Jackson overrated? lol tell me again how many titles Michael Jordan, Kobe and shaq won without him? 1! mj was a player no one thought you could win with before Phil....if anything he's underrated because of people like you who discredit his great career...he wasn't as great in his last days..I don't think any professional is as good right before he retires...hence retiring

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
All coaches are overrated. If anyone says Phil JAckson isn't overrated then you're crazy. In the end it's about players. Sure they need guidance and leadership (both of which I believe Doc is incredible at), but in the end players play.

Doc can't help it that KG can only play 2 1/2 qtrs. now. He can't help it that Pierce can't carry the team anymore and Rondo is unwilling too.

This isn't Doc's fault. In fact, ugh gross, I shutter to think of what this team would look like right now without Doc.

Phil Jackson overrated? lol tell me again how many titles Michael Jordan, Kobe and shaq won without him? 1! mj was a player no one thought you could win with before Phil....if anything he's underrated because of people like you who discredit his great career...he wasn't as great in his last days..I don't think any professional is as good right before he retires...hence retiring

I don't think you'll get far with "MJ, Kobe and Shaq never would have won titles without Jackson". And how much success did he ever have without 1-2 of those players on his team? Doc took a team to the finals and came very close to winning without a single player who was all-nba 1st, 2nd or 3rd team and without a player getting a single mvp vote. I seriously doubt Phil can make a similar claim.