Author Topic: This made me smile (Fan hits halfcourt shot, gets mugged by LBJ afterwards)  (Read 6774 times)

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I saw that the other day, I thought it was awesome.

You know, between manning up last year, being (for him) somewhat humble and this, which is just awesome anyway you slice it...

I'm beginning to not entirely loath lebron. Still don't like him, but the meter is moving away from pure loathing and into strong dislike.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Call me cynical, but I think he went over the top on purpose. Somehow the spotlight always has to be on him. So the guy hits a halfcourt shot, wins money, and everyone still talks about LeBron? Mission accomplished for James.

Right, there was a massive conspiracy in place, and lebron was sitting there ready to sprint out the minute this happened in case his master hook shot hitting plant hit his shot.

Come on man, I like to hate him as much as the next person, but i think the far more likely explanation is this:

The pressure is somewhat off. he won his title, he's enjoying the game again. which is scary for the rest of the NBA.

@bak i dunno man, i don't think this "steals the fans moment" it makes it all the more memeroable.

He would have been a blip on sportscenter at best. Now he got immortalized in this goofy, cool little endeavor, got to meet a great player, and this morning the Heat owner is tweeting out pictures of the guy partying with the team at a nightclub with some lovely ladies

I'd say the whole thing went over pretty well for him :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I actually think he started carrying himself a bit better last year, at least he was a bit more humble in the things he said and did.
Go Celtics!

When he stopped smiling during our playoff series and started acting/playing like a man it changed my view of him a lot. I hate/respect him now. Closer to my feelings on Kobe than my feelings for DWade.

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
This was hilarious!

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I actually think he started carrying himself a bit better last year, at least he was a bit more humble in the things he said and did.
Go Celtics!

When he stopped smiling during our playoff series and started acting/playing like a man it changed my view of him a lot. I hate/respect him now. Closer to my feelings on Kobe than my feelings for DWade.

Agreed - plus, like it or not, he's the champ now, and he didn't ride any coattails to get there, he was the dominant force in their run.

Funny how he spent most of his career acting entitled and goofing around, but never got a ring until he starting playing and acting like winning wasn't his birthright.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
things like these make me hate Lebron less

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
I am over my LeBron hate too.  Another example of him being a real person (I think he isn't always the most articulate, but I think what he did with the half time shot or what he was saying here with these kids was real, not contrived)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thak3gBPgXU

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I heard this mentioned the other day, and agree with it: turning point with Celtics Nation's opinion of LBJ -- indicating a full reversal of when he quit on his team in the last game with the Cavs -- was when he came to TD Garden and stone-face assassinated this team in Game 6 of last year's ECF. He gets respect around these parts, now.

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I actually have never really hated LeBron.  In terms of whenever he played the C's and would have an insanely good game, then I would hate what he was doing to us in that particular game.  However, if I had to take a shot in the dark, I would think the guy is genuinely a nice person.  I think he would sign an autograph if someone happened to catch him in public, at the right place at the right time.  He seems like a very personable individual, even for being the most popular player in the game/world.  I don't think this was meant to steal the limelight or anything from that guy.  I'd be pumped if an NBA player celebrated with me.  I probably would never wash the shirt again either. 

People can hate LeBron or the way he carries himself, it's their choice.  To each their own.  I personally don't.  The guy is cocky and all that jazz, but which superstar isn't?  Pierce has been cocky many times throughout his career....Kobe...MJ..and a whole lot more.  Some guys have that swagger that irritates other people.  Most people will get a big head in something when they become pretty good at it.  It is simply human nature.   

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Why do y'all even use the word "hate"? It's just basketball, go hate terrorists or something.

Yippy yay-o!  :D ;D :D ;D :D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"