Author Topic: Question about traded protected draft picks  (Read 300 times)

Question about traded protected draft picks
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:52:08 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1962
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So let's say team A has traded the rights to a draft pick with top 15 protection in 2013, and top 10 protected in 2014, and unprotected in 2015.

Team A finishes out of the playoffs, so they still own their rights in 2013. Can they then trade that draft pick?

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

Re: Question about traded protected draft picks
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:27:54 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 721
A team can't trade first-round picks in consecutive years.  I suspect that Team A would have to treat their 2013 pick as if their 2014 pick has been traded.

Of course, the easy work-around is that the team waits until draft night and drafts a player for Team B then sends that player's rights to Team B as part of a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Question about traded protected draft picks
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:52:42 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1962
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A team can't trade first-round picks in consecutive years.  I suspect that Team A would have to treat their 2013 pick as if their 2014 pick has been traded.

Of course, the easy work-around is that the team waits until draft night and drafts a player for Team B then sends that player's rights to Team B as part of a trade.

That was my thought as well. So basically, the Kings, Raptors, Bobcats, and others, can't trade their first round pick, even after the lottery.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link